another 1855 check

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by SorenCoins, Apr 10, 2015.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

got it for $3 once again
    dont know where its from
    but its for $495.80

coinman1234 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

gsalexan likes this.
  4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

The top line, upper right, reads Hartford, Conn(ecticut).

SorenCoins likes this.
  5. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

$495.80 was a lot of money in 1855.

SorenCoins likes this.
  6. doug5353

Except in New England, where many of the mills were located. Checks and sight drafts in the thousands of dollars are fairly common for bulk shipments of cotton (mainly) and other agricultural products. Before the Civil War, mill workers were among the best-paid non-professionals, earning as much as $1.50 per day.

People underestimate that cotton was the lifeblood of the South, and slavery was "necessary" to make growing cotton economically feasible. At the other end, child labor was "necessary" for routine unskilled jobs in the mills, such as bobbin-changers. Year of this photo, unknown; my "guess" is 1885.

#86 child labor.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  7. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Nice check and I like the "PAID" seal imprint. Well done for $3.

8. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

I like your checks, they are better than mine. good going.

9. techwriter

A few of my favorites: especially since they all, except one, have RADAR numbers:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. doug5353

Techwriter, for the benefit of other members -- the 2c eagle imprint in the center of your $16.57 check is what's known as "revenue stamped paper," and is listed in the Scott Stamp Catalog. Yours is #RN-H3, catalog value $5.00 in 2013.

It is essentially an imprinted (prepaid) tax stamp. Some varieties in this design, in a combination of orange and black printing, catalog as much as $7,500.

Check and draft collectors should go to the library and photocopy the 5 pages of listings out of the (U.S. Specialized) Scott Catalog, preferably in color, and keep them for reference.

There are approximately 25 different designs between 1865 and 1898; some are found pre-printed on stock certificates, bonds, insurance policies, and other financial documents. Do not confuse them with the ordinary revenue stamps "licked and sticked" on deeds, mortgages, promissory notes, etc.

techwriter likes this.
  11. techwriter

Well said, Doug. And the vibrant color is what first drew my attention to the check.

12. techwriter

You know, I may be wrong but your "check" actually looks like a PAID Promissory Note. Notice the PAID seal in the upper left hand corner and more importantly the text of the document itself. Here's a couple examples of Civil War promissory notes from my part of the world.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy.

Draft saved Draft deleted