Another 09s vdb fake

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Owle, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Owle

Owle Junior Member

This one just came back as an added "s", a few people who looked at it did not see the problem as obvious. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any idea what the process was in producing such a good fake apparently?

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

The placement of the S is decent-ish. Definitely believable at first glance, but that S is too big for a 1909. The S should be shorter. Also the edge of the lower serif isn't parallel with the edge of the upper serif.

My VF30 example

2016-02-16-12-13-37.jpg

As for the process... I have no clue. Possibly removed from another cent, 1940s maybe, and glued on. I don't know really. But it does look like an S from a 1940s cent IMO.

Paul M. and Owle like this.
  4. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

As I recall, there are 4 mint mark placements. As noted, the closer you mimic one of these, the better at passing it off as legitimate. I've seen a number of fakes online that are truly convincing...most are pretty obvious. However, the safest bet is to buy a slabbed coin. Unless you are very experienced and knowledgeable about S VDBs (including the counterfeiting), throwing a bunch of money down may be an unwise gamble.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The VDB is a key marker and it's not shown on the OP coin.

Inspector43, Owle and Kevin Mader like this.
  6. Kevin Mader

Great point Michael. Use 'all' of the diagnostic markers!

7. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I got my money back; I spoke with a local dealer who said that the now deceased co-owner of the shop I got it at was a jeweler, and was known to palm off coins like 14-D cents and 16-D dimes with added mint marks on customers. Legal remedies for those ripping off customers like this is if they don't return the money in full, file a complaint with the state and hopefully the state will know what to do with proper evidence.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  8. dividebytube

dividebytube Active Member

Glued or soldered on?

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Looks like glue to me. Solder is too much trouble, and you would need to be a master with it to make it work.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Mint Mark was placed fairly close but no cigar.
    1909 S VDB Map.JPG 1909 S VDB Map Overlaid OP.JPG 1909 S VDB Map Overlaid Real.JPG

11. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Also there is usually a dot in the "s" from pictures I've seen. The vdb was off as well, which was strange, how is it that a P mint struck vdb and a San F struck one had different characteristics?

12. Kevin Mader

Great overlay!! Well done!!

13. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Draft saved Draft deleted