Annoying toning...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by YoloBagels, Nov 18, 2018.

1. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Hello everyone.
    I have a 2007 ASE that has gained some extremely ugly orange-ish toning. I also have an 1881S morgan that has fallen ill to this toning as well. I had it out on my desk for about 4 months (stupid mistake, I know.).
    I am still unsure how this toning takes place and how to prevent it. Is there any way to remove it without damaging the coin itself? I heard acetone works well but I don't want to try anything before I hear from others. Thanks.

grtnew.jpg

coinman1234 and Noah Finney like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Acetone will not harm the coin but it probably won't help it either as acetone does not remove toning.

If you wish to remove it you'll need to use a commercial coin dip. But, if oyu hav eno experience with using dip, and based on your comments and question it sounds like you don't, then using is not advisable. Only those with experience should ever use it because it is too easy to ruin the coin.

By far and away the simplest and probably best solution for you would be to just buy another to replace it and trade that one off.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I strongly advise against ever using CoinCare for anything !

6. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

I agree with Doug, I wouldn't use coin care. I'd try a quick, diluted dip on the ASE if you want to experiment. If you don't have experience then I recommend you don't touch the Morgan.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yikes!! I am guessing that this desk is likely your coin desk. There must be something in contact with that desk that isn’t kind to your coins. Perhaps a cleaner or polish being used on the desk? Might me a good idea to invest in a cheap mat or acrylic sheet or something to separate your coins from this desk’s surface.

8. YoloBagels

The desk is an ikea plastic desk. I use a laminated paper as a mat... With that, I won't be keeping my coins on it for too long.

9. YoloBagels

Thanks for the advice. :angelic: Fortunately none of the coins that got messed up were numismatic so even if I messed up with the dip there isn't much to lose.
    Yes, I am yet to use dip and hope to learn more about it before using it.

10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That’s disheartening. I wonder what is attacking your coins? Do you have maybe a room freshener that splurts out occasionally? Has to be something...... Only reason I mention is that I was oblivious to environmental conditions with my coins most of my life. Joined CT and was educated that the gun cleaning chemicals in my safe was tarnishing my coins. Such an obvious thing and I was oblivious to it for thirty years.

Kentucky and green18 like this.
  11. YoloBagels

I met someone that was having the exact same problem.
    They said they suspected it was because of lighting/UV. My desk is front of a window but I keep the blinds closed at pretty much all times. The only real light that gets in is the lamp.

12. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

I agree with everything said, and especially the last part. Sell them and move on. Neither is difficult to replace.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have never used Coin Care, but from reading the eBay listing, I don't like the "massage gently with the q-tip". The usual dip is eZest. Best to have a basket or plastic net bag to use. Wash your hands and place the coin in a sink so that a stream of hot water plays on it. Remove eye coin, place in the basket or net and...dip...really dip, don't soak. I usually do a dip, dip, dip and then return it to the sink for a thorough rinse. If needed, repeat. Finally blot or pat the coin dry.

JAY-AR likes this.
  14. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

In the future, put your eye candy coins in air-tites.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted