Annona and a Mystery Guest

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Aug 10, 2019.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I love acquiring coins with neat little numismatic mysteries. My latest Domitian dupondius comes with just such a mystery and had me researching many of my old auction catalogues for hints.

D367.jpg
    Domitian
    Æ Dupondius, 11.64g
    Rome mint, 85 AD
    RIC 367 (C). BMC 347.
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XI CENS POT P P; Head of Domitian, radiate, bearded, r., with aegis
    Rev: ANNONA AVG; S C in exergue; Annona, std r., holding open on lap by two ends bag full of corn-ears; in front of her stands a small figure, l., also holding two ends of bag, and in the background, stern of ship
    Ex eBay, August 2019.

A most curious reverse type was struck for Domitian on his dupondii for a short period of time between 84-88. Here we see Annona seated holding open a bag(?) of corn-ears and a mysterious small figure standing before her holding the other end of the bag with a ship's stern in the background. Overall, the reverse likely alludes to Domitian's care of the corn supply, hinted at by the stern, here a symbol of the all important African grain ships. The small individual before Annona has variously been described as a 'boy', a 'child', or ambiguously as just a 'figure'. H. Mattingly has the most imaginative explanation in BMCRE II. 'Annona herself, the spirit of the corn-supply, and the ship, the symbol of the overseas corn, are familiar: but who is the small figure who stands before her? He is certainly no child, but only a man reduced to tiny proportions beside the goddess; and the fact that he is bare to the waist may suggest that he is an Italian farmer. If this interpretation is right, the type records a definite policy of Domitian to encourage the growing of corn in Italy.' Mattingly may be correct about the overall meaning, but I think the figure is indeed a child, symbolic of the emperor's care, through Annona's auspices, for his subjects.

As far as I know this type was struck only for Domitian, and even then just for a few brief years. Does anyone know of it being struck later? Or any later variants?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Interesting reverse type, indeed. The British Museum dates it to AD 85 and describes the small individual as a "small figure." Here's their specimen:

642664_001_l.jpg

I have Annona represented on coins of three emperors in my collection -- Antoninus Pius, Trebonianus Gallus, and Tacitus:

Antoninus Pius Annona Sestertius.jpg
    Trebonianus Gallus ANNONA AVGG Rome antoninianus.jpg
    Tacitus ANNONA AVGVSTI antoninianus.jpg

4. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

1329206.m.jpg
    not my coin septimius Severus

Ryro and ominus1 like this.
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

David, this coin is an example of why I could never get bored with the coinage of Domitian. Great addition to your collection.

David Atherton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted