Android APP for US Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by downlow, Jun 28, 2011.

1. downlow

downlow Collection Collector

Hello all,

Does anyone have suggestions for an app (android) that would be sufficient for current values of US coinage?

There is 1 I've found but basically it is a website that has no grey sheet values and very BASIC info.
    U.S. Coin Identifier, it's good don't get me wrong, just looking for better

Looking for an app that will update with current prices and possible give junk silver values, etc.. (Ag Silver Calculator is what I use now)

I feel like a dunce carrying around a redbook, bluebook and a 1 month old grey sheet all the time.

:sniper:Maybe even bidsniper!

Thanks if anyone has input.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

I dont know of any coin apps besides photograde ! But thats because I dont have an android or an apple mobil device! :smile
    -Taylor

4. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

There is these apps. I wouldn't go as far as recommending any of them because I don't know exactly what you are looking for. Check them out and see if one fits your needs. Mostly I posted just to see if somebody else knows of any good apps myself.

US Coins BjG Apps
    Coin Collecting 101 KoolAppz
    Coin Collecting Guide KoolAppz
    Coin Price Catalog Trimbiras Sorin-Iulian

5. ronterry

ronterry New Member

I just use Dolphin HD on PCGS, and scope out realized auction prices...
    Android is insanely flexible, so give it time... I hope we are talking about a 10" Acer running Honeycomb? :yes:

6. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

What kind of things would you guys look for in an Android US Coins app?
    My friend is an avid android application developer - I can toss some ideas his way :)

7. Kevo

Kevo Junior Member

Best I have seen so far is a free kitco app that shows live bullion prices.

8. ronterry

ronterry New Member

I would love a nice coin & currency database!
    I like keeping track of my currency, and for coins I made simple spreadsheets to help feel my Dansco albums... Currently I just use Doc's on the go to read my spread sheets, but would be nice to have a purpose built database to keep track of what coins I need when I'm out in about.

9. downlow

An app that you can take your own coin pics and list them in a database which has purchase date, price, grade, notes, etc...
    also concurrent grey sheet updates perhaps monthly.
    kitcos (kcast) silver and gold widgets are cool, use them all day
    Ag Silver Calculator app, by Frontier Industry Labs is awesome
    to incorporate these would be worth some very decent $$$

10. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Inventory app!!!!! :fro:

11. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Consider those ideas all accounted for! Keep throwing out more ideas - I'm going to relay all of this to my friend :)

12. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Anything else you guys can think of?

13. BJGApps

BJGApps New Member

Hello,

My name is Brian and I am the creator of USCoins by BJGApps.

I periodically do searches on my application name and happened to stumble onto this forum.
    I just wanted to give you a quick overview of my app as it handles some of your needs.

It has an inventory of 'most' US Coins. It also gives you the option to add coins to an inventory so you can keep track of what is in your collection. Very similar to the blue/green/brown books most of us collected as kids.

It does not give you any prices however. This is a feature that would be great to have, but as it fluctuates so much its hard to keep track.

This application was designed to be used without internet access. Something that I don't think any other application on the Android Market does. I thought it was more important for you to be able to access the list at any time, regardless of cell signal.

I highly recommend you read the overview on the market. (There are freebies of specific coins that kind of give you a feel for the application. The android market has a 15 minute return window that I have no control over. You are welcome to give it a try and uninstall it for the refund if within the market refund window.)

It makes me incredibly happy that I wasn't the only one interested in an app like this one. :)

You can check it out US Coins here.

micbraun likes this.
  14. BJGApps

BJGApps New Member

I also would like to apologize for posting links in my very first post.

No spam intended! Just thought I could add useful information to your topic.

Thanks,
    Brian

15. downlow

Hi Brian,

I currently use your Standing Liberty Quarters app.

I like it! Good Job.

It would be cool to have an additional option of GRADE in each selection too.

I looked at your other apps and may buy then soon.

16. BJGApps

BJGApps New Member

Well I'm glad you like it. US Coins will be updated to 1.20 in the next day or so. It doesn't have the option to store which grade the coin is, but that is definitely one of the updates coming soon.

17. DoubleDie

DoubleDie Senior Member

I am the owner of US Coin Identifier Application but not the developer. However, after messing with this app for over a year now, what you're asking for would cost huge dollars. It would require me or another dealer/collector to learn to become a developer so these features could be added with little cost.

You have to pay at least $2,000 for the most simple apps to be developed and upward of $650 just to add an update and more if it requires a lot of updates like coin values. This is the reason that my app is website based so I can update every second if I need to.

I own and operate CoinHELP! website and forum, so it's near impossible for me to juggle both website, forum and application, financially and time-wise. I just hired a part time worker so I have been able to update and expand most coin values for this application and more coming.

All I had planned, at first, was to have an app created so people, who didn't know much about coins, could look at the images and know what coin type they're looking at. I was thinking of persons who inherited coin collections, or were visiting garage sales, and flea markets so they could learn the different coin types. I didn't realize experienced collectors would be interested in this app nor how many people wouldn't understand why it must be web based due to costs and updating the values.

Presently, the app is being updated and worked on daily by me and now I have so many values that the last columns are cut off the screen. So I it's going to require some money to fix now, and I want to keep it free, but that might not be an option at this point.

I did place some buttons on the opening page so the precious metals charts (updated with each refresh) and the coin grading services list can be accessed much easier. I do hope to add a coin scanner feature in the future but grey sheet and coin cataloging isn't planned in the near future.

I appreciate all who have downloaded my app and hope that it at least helped in some small way!

18. BJGApps

BJGApps New Member

I just wanted to give out an update on this thread.

US Coins for Android is currently on version 1.33. It now has coin grading and includes nearly all of the US Coins mintage information.

The coin grading was added as a user request. It uses the ANA standard and includes all the grades that PCGS uses.

Thanks and let me know if you have any suggestions.

-BJGApps

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The problem with an app that shows prices is "Who tracks or establishes the prices?" If you don't know and trust them, do you trust the prices? And keeping them up to date would be a full time job. If you don't keep them up, it loses it's usefullness. Then after you do all that work, how do you get paid for it? A one time sho on the price of the app would be prohibitively expensive, so the other option would have to be a subscription. Now you are back to the CDN. I would think if anyone were going to put out such an app it would be the CDN. Pay your subscription and have constant access to an updated graysheet every time you refresh. After all they already have the database and do all the constant updating. Once they do it, why would you want anyone else's price guide app? For the most part the CDN is the market and it is what all the dealers use.

20. BJGApps

BJGApps New Member

I find it nearly impossible to include a price guide. The price of silver fluctuates so much that 50% of the coins change in value every other day. For a while I played around with the option of parsing the data from a site. I however decided against this because the format of the data changes every so often, and I don't want to design an application that will break in a couple months.

US Coins is mainly meant to be an Offline coin database for your collection. I never had much intention of adding coin values into the application as it is a ways out of the scope. I have no desire to make a coin app that requires a monthly fee as well.

I think what would be an ideal solution for this situation would be for the Red Book to create their own application. However I don't even know if they would do that. Most people forget that red book only updates their prices once a year... Technically the data could be updated manually once a year, but it would take a massive amount of time. The effort involved would easily require someone to charge more for an application.

If I ever planned on doing this to the application, I would probably change the price to $14.99. Most people would not buy the application at that price. However when comparing with the Price of the Red Book its actually cheaper as it would be updated every year. Instead of having to buy a new copy.

I have personally found price guides to be just that, a guide. The prices will still vary from location to location, regardless of what the guide says.

So my final thoughts... The price guides would be useful, but you're not going to find them in a $1.99 application... You probably wont even find them in a $5.99 application. It's just simply to time consuming/expensive to update.

-BJGApps

21. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

For coin values I'd say the Heritage mobile app. But, seeing as every time I try to access it they say they are temporarily down, I guess that might not work for you...or anyone.
    Guy

Draft saved Draft deleted