And You Thought You'd Heard Everything

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

There are some honest dealers/people out there. And when you find them give em your business and recommend them to others.

NSP, wxcoin, sl graham and 1 other person like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That is awesome! I'd be anxious to learn what it sells for in the Great Collections auction on 12/13.

NOS likes this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

As an optimist I believe most would do the right thing. That said, the greedy grifters give the whole hobby a black eye.

NSP, Cheech9712, wxcoin and 2 others like this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Amazing story! :D

sl graham and NOS like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I was shocked when I read the story. I was also pleased to hear about an honest dealer.

wxcoin likes this.
  8. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

Great story. I hope the owner gives the dealer at least a finders fee. Ten percent seems to sit well with me.

wxcoin and bikergeek like this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I wish I knew who the dealer was. That’s the kind of guy I want to do business with.

NSP, wxcoin and sl graham like this.
  10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Agreed. The dealer is a good guy

11. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

What amazes me even more than the wonderful act of this coin dealer returning the valuable coin, is that he wished to remain anonymous about it. I mean, we're witnessing pure unadulterated godliness here. We're not solely talking about your average Joe Mr. Nice Guy here, who finds a wallet stuffed with cash and then returns it to it's rightful owner. This is a person who was destined to have his name and the name of his business plastered over newspapers and tv screens in recognition of his sterling honesty........but then turns it down. Who does that in this day and age anyway? I know 25 years ago, if I were this dealer, I would have kept the coin. No doubt about it. Now, since money is of no great concern, I would most likely return it. But, I know for sure that I would gladly accept any and all recognition for my good deed. This dealer here should be immediately canonized for sainthood.

NSP, Brina, kaparthy and 5 others like this.
  12. Mainebill

This guy is a good guy. I’d have been likely tempted to say look you have a valuable coin here if you want I’ll sell it and we’ll split it. Which would also be fair as well

wxcoin and SensibleSal66 like this.
  13. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

Split it 50-50......you're not a half bad guy, MaineBill. Yeah, this dealer is like 50 times the person that I am.....but that still makes me an ok guy. When I was a young kid I wanted to be a policeman. As a juvenile, I wanted to be the next Steve Carlton. As a young adult, a successful Fortune 500 CEO. As a full fledged adult, I wanted to be retired. Now, I want to be just like this honest gentleman right here. Unfortunately, I don't like my chances.

wxcoin, Mainebill and SensibleSal66 like this.
  14. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

If I was the guy , I would of given him $1000 as a finders fee. If he refused then I would spend $1000 in his shop. ;)

NSP, Brina, capthank and 1 other person like this.
  15. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I have to go with MaineBill on this one, I would tell the person and make a similar offer, or at least I like to think so :D

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  16. goossen

goossen Senior Member

The current bid is at $22,500 already

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Who knows why the dealer wishes to remain anonymous. Maybe his shop has been broken into one too many times, and he doesn't want the publicity. Maybe he has an ex-wife who is trying to track him down. Regardless, I think an offer of 10% of the auction proceeds ( @jafo50 ) is more than fair, and if the dealer doesn't want to accept it, then spend the money in his shop ( @SensibleSal66 ).

NSP, jafo50, wxcoin and 2 others like this.
  18. Mainebill

I’ve often bought things that I’ve done very well with and given the person I bought them from some bonus cash after I sold them. Especially if they’re someone that could really use it. This dealer was more than stand up as he was the one who discovered the rare variety and could have made all the profit. This guy is a saint if you ask me. Many would have just kept the coin and the profit. And many would have gone back and split it with the owner.

19. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

A dealer friend of mine: I asked him how many of the dealers here are honest on the bourse floor at a Baltimore show many years ago. He looked around for a few seconds and responded, "90% of the guys in this room will bury you up to your neck in a coin and then steal your shovel."

I do my best to deal with the other 10%.

NSP, jafo50, wxcoin and 4 others like this.
  20. Mainebill

Lol. Agreed. I know the ones he’s talking about. And the ones you’re talking about. And some in between. There’s a lot of dealers with a lot of dreck for too much money and they love to buy it for nothing and foist it on the unsuspecting. There’s a lot of dealers with great stuff for too much money and there you might be buried a bit but you at least get the shovel. And there’s a few that have quality at fair prices. And there’s a lot of sharks circling the floor

21. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

What I find refreshing with this thread is that it's about a REAL 1969-S DDO and not another "I think I see something" 1969-S DDO.

Draft saved Draft deleted