...And yet another

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by atcarroll, Mar 12, 2016.

1. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If only this crap could be attributed to one person..... unfortunately, that's simply not the case. Any schmo with half a brain and a computer can get their hands on such things these days, so while it could be the same fellow, chances are it's just another in the long line ready and willing to feed the fish.

As long as idiots jump on such offerings, we'll continue seeing them, and it is as simple as that.

brassnautilus likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Yeah... not only is that super fake, but I wouldn't be surprised if nobody actually owns more than 10 1893-S dollars in VF or better.

5. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Look at the date on that thing.... Pitiful, looks like a 5 year old drew it....

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

They're not rare or even scarce, just popular. I cannot speak for the present day, but in the not terribly distant past, I can promise you that at least one person did.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Long term ebay member. Someone may have jacked his account.

NOS likes this.
  8. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

there is a small town in china, they all have ebay accounts

Markus1959 and Paul M. like this.
  9. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

PHOTO IS THE ACTUAL COIN cause all 10 are identical.

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

There was an error in the listing.. really? LOL.. at least he made almost $2400.00 selling 15 of them.. suckers
    end.JPG

JPeace$ likes this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It's unlikely any of these people are making any money off them, as long as we get Ebay to remove them soon enough.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

13. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Why would any collectors or buyers pay for something that is too good to be true. Also since Ebay is so big why don't they have anyone be looking out for this kind of junk selling on Ebay ?

14. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

There are sites that do not allow these scams to keep happening over and over.... ;)

15. SuperDave

Because they choose not to spend the money.

Paul M. likes this.
  16. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

They do. It's us, and we work for free.

I think there might be an increase in legal liability if they choose to try and actively police the items offered for sale, but I'm not 100% sure. I know there is in the case of "user generated content" online, but I'm not a lawyer so I don't know the nitty gritty details.

17. SuperDave

The newest revisions to the Hobby Protection Act, signed into law in December 2014, put Ebay squarely in the chain of liability for counterfeit coin sales if they are informed of them and do not act. They are in violation of the Federal Trade Act, subject to FTC sanction.

We have the legal teeth to fix this problem right now, yet all we do is wring our hands on the Internet about it. If the words we squander talking about counterfeits in online threads were instead directed to the FTC to get them off their butts and act, Ebay would have devoted sufficient resources to make the problem far less prevalent already.

If I seem frustrated at threads like this, now you know why. The solution to forcing Ebay to act is already law.

Draft saved Draft deleted