..and who says flea markets/yard sales suck for coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Attended a HUGE flea market today. 75+ vendors over 4 acres.

Here are my "prizes".

1857 (small date?) flying eagle. Cleaned yes, but I already found a buyer for $75. Gave $30 for it.
    [​IMG]

The brown on the front is shadow. The surfaces are the same color, just caught the light differently.

Bought this BEE YEW TEA FULL 1863 Broa's Pie Bakers Civil war store card for $3. Thinking of slabbing it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also bought a 1850 something Upper bank of Canada 1/2 penny for $4 in nice shape, and a 1888 canada 1/2 dime for $8. Pics of those later tonight.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pnightingale

pnightingale Member

I agree, I love flea markets. True there are a lot of unscrupulous types selling fake morgans but there are 3 or 4 good, honest traders at each of the two in our area. It's so much more rewarding than simply dropping a bundle of cash on eBay. I get a real feeling of acheivement when I find a nice coin at a decent price, even if it's only a few dollars saved.

I find that each of the loical dealers have their own comfort zones or areas of expertise and any coins which fall outside of these margins will be often wildly over or underpriced.

Congratulations on the finds, I didn't manage to attend any this weekend because of house painting duties. Maybe next week :)

4. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I think I may sell both coins and get a nice slabbed coin of my choice...that token has a speck of green on it, it would probly come back as details.

Would love a slabbed MS standing lib quarter.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice additions, I like the token especially.

6. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

Should start a thread titled Newest Flea Market acquisitions since summer is coming....

7. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Yep... I'll be setting up next a table next month as the new season starts. Plenty of coins plus assorted junk that the hoarders love to buy. I usually end up with about $300+ profit, and I'm sure some of my buyers do even better. Every once in awhile I'll throw a gem in with the junk, and someone gets a heck of a deal.

8. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I'm glad you did so good.

The photos are sometimes hard to get where both sides come out the same color, even though the coin is the same color.

9. Objective

Objective Junior Member

better than I've ever done. very good!

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Detecto - are you reasonably sure that coin is genuine ?

http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins/ig/Chinese-Counterfeiting-Ring/Fake-Indian-Head---Large-Cents.htm

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=669

http://www.civitasgalleries.com/counterfeits/1856flyingeagle.html

W
    hether you realize it or not, there are hundreds of thousands of those out there that are fakes. And one of the prime places to sell those fakes are flea markets and similar venues.

You might want to keep that in mind the next time you think you are getting a good deal.

11. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

I always get the impression GDJ really hates flea markets.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not at all, I like going to them. In fact it is because I have been to so many of them over the years that makes me aware of the coins typically found at flea markets. I would say that well over 90% of the coins you can find in a flea market should not be purchased. Flea markets abound with fakes and counterfeits, problem coins of all kinds, altered coins of all kinds. And the coins that do not fall into these categories are inevitably grossly over-priced.

Flea markets are great - just not as a source for coins.

13. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

Luckily this wasn't a very expensive lesson to learn.

14. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

Or Rolex watches.

15. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

for bullion/ junk coins its a great source.

For high end coins, yeah most likely not.

However I did see that post a week ago about the dude who bought a silver dollar for like 2 bucks and it ended up being worth 120k :D

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Even for bullion/junk I would not buy there unless you knwo what you are doing. I have seen "junk" world silver at such places that were all chinese fakes. I am imagining it will not be long before the Chinese figure out there is probably a good market for "junk" Franklins, washingtons, and the like. Chinese fakes are even harder to spot once they are artificially worn. For those who argue they would have to be magnetic or incorrect weight, don't kid yourselves. They can make a fake half non-magnetic, of proper weight, artificially age it, and still make a tidy profit at much less than $10 per.

17. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

You can't fake a acid test :)

18. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Thick plating can fool a lot of people if they're not careful to go deep enough to get past it.

19. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

If theres ever something I have the smallest doubt or wonder about I simply test it. Gos for both silver and gold.

20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

You are missing the point. Unless you wish to cut the coin in half, and acid test is not foolproof. Surface coat the fake and it will pass your test all day long. Heck, they were making these fakes 2500 years ago to fool such testing methods.

Acid test and magnet will sort out bad fakes, but anyone who believes it will protect them from all fakes may get a bad surprise. The thread recently about fake silver bars and maple leafs would have passed your acid test.

Any test that be created can be fooled. This is why no collector should ever rely only on one test. You should always have 10 different ways of analyzing a coin.

21. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Some people must learn their lessons the hard way. But then again, many of the experienced learned the hard way, and try to teach those less experienced.

Draft saved Draft deleted