And A Sanguine Saturnalia To All!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Dec 17, 2017.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The day of reckoning has come my friends! Post your Saturnalia gifts (if you want to) and reveal your identities (if you want to).

saturnalia.jpg

alde, LaCointessa, Jwt708 and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

A massive thank you to @Parthicus (email on envelope), this is my first in the type so I am totally stoked.
    saturnalia.JPG

Edit: Oops, forgot description

PARTHIAN EMPIRE, Artabanos III, c. AD 10-38.
    AR drachm, 20mm, 3.5g, 12h.
    Obv.: Bare-headed, bearded, diademed bust of king left, wearing torque, dotted border around.
    Rev.: King (Arsakes I?) seated right on throne, holding bow, somewhat blundered Greek legend in 7 lines around: above: BAΣIΛEΩΣ BAΣIΛEΩN, at right: APCAKOY, below: EVERΓETOV / ΔIKAIOY, at left: EΠIΦANOVΣ / ΦIΛEΛΛHNOΣ, AT monogram (for Ecbatana) under bow.
    Reference: Sellwood 74.6, Shore 404.
    From the H8Modern Collection

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Here is what I've shown so far of my prize from @Ancient Aussie.

Before the unveiling:

20171215_133843.jpg 20171215_134121.jpg 20171215_134049.jpg

During the unveiling.
    I got up at midnight as soon as it became the 17th here, and opened the innermost secret package.

20171217_001017.jpg 20171217_001100.jpg 20171217_001459.jpg

The first teaser.

20171217_001529.jpg

The second teaser.

20171217_005228.jpg

As to what comes after the unveiling, let me try to get some at least marginal photos. I'm not thrilled with the ones I snapped in the predawn hours.

Stay tuned.

Update: cellphone pix added in Post #13.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

When I received the box a couple of weeks ago I got excited because I knew who sent it. I knew it was deacon Ray, and based on his previous methods of presenting his presents I knew it would be interesting.

I will take you through the unboxing process.

PC150921.jpg

First step, 2 small Christmas themed boxes.

PC150922.jpg

A pair of Christmas themed socks.

PC150923.jpg

Lift out the socks and voila. A red pouch with an "N" button. Now I wonder what that particular "N" stands for:D
    In the second box an ANACS slab

PC150924.jpg
    PC150925.jpg

PC150926.jpg

A truly beautiful medal of Napoleon. This is an official French restrike of the 1815 Waterloo medal and it is gorgeous. It is also very large. The artistry of this piece is captivating.

Herod I 8 Prutot.png
    And the second coin? This wonderful 8 prutot piece of Herod I. I was thrilled to see this coin. This is the first biblical themed coin in my collection. Deacon Ray did a superb job in choosing and packing these gifts. My sincere appreciation goes out to him I absolutely love the choices he made. As many of you know I am assembling an historical figures collection. These 2 will fit in very nicely.

Many thanks to Deacon Ray for the excellent gift and for the care he took in both selecting them and preparing them.:D

Oh, and I shall not be harming this particular slab in any way.

NLL, dlhill132, alde and 34 others like this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Io Saturnalia!

Wow, my generous gifter had a real treat in store for me... a book and two coins, and the book was actually one that I had considered buying myself!

Secret Santa 2017 - Book and Coins.jpg

There was also a nice message written on the inside cover of the book by my Secret Saturn, who clearly wanted to remain anonymous as he only signed off with a single, cryptic initial, "Q". I suppose that the packet came from France suggests that he lives in that beautiful country, but other than that small clue, it could literally be anyone! :D

Here are pics of the two coins...

Gallienus - Panther CT 2017 SS 2324.jpg
    GALLIENUS
    AE Antoninianus. 3.1g, 21.5mm. Rome mint, AD 267-268. RIC V 230; Göbl 713b; Wolkow, CMR Gallien, 19a2. O: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head right. R: LIBERO P CONS AVG, panther standing left; B (officina) in exergue.

Gallienus - Zoo Hippocamp CT 2017 SS 2323.jpg
    GALLIENUS
    AE Antoninianus. 2.75g, 21.8mm. Rome mint, AD 267-268. RIC V 245; Göbl 743b; Wolkow, CMR Gallien, 23a9. O: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head right. R: NEPTVNO CONS AVG, hippocamp right; N (officina) in exergue.

Yup, they are, quite appropriately, Gallienus 'Zoo series' coins! The panther is a truly splendid super-upgrade to my current humble example, and the hippocamp is one that's been on my want list for a very long time. Needless to say, I love them both, and also promptly used the book as a reference when I attributed them.

I am quite honestly overwhelmed by the gift. Merci beaucoup, my mysterious French friend "Q"! ;)

dlhill132, alde, LaCointessa and 30 others like this.
  7. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

IO Saturnalia! My thanks to my mysterious Saturn who sent me this beautiful coin from the Sallent collection (forgive the phone pictures - my photo set-up was pur away during the school year, but since tomorrow is the official start of my break, I'm going to have to pull it back out again!)
    IMG_1856.JPG
    Castile and Leon
    Sancho IV, r. 1284-1295
    Seville Mint, BI Cornado, 19mm x 0.7 grams
    Obv: SAnC-II REX. Crowned bust left
    Rev: +CASTEL-LE LE-GIOnIS. Castle witn sar and 'S' above
    Ex. Sallent Collection

I haven't yet delved into the wide world of Medieval Spanish coins yet, but there is no denying this one is a beauty, with the detailed bust and magnificent castle on the reverse. Thank you again Saturn!!

alde, LaCointessa, Mikey Zee and 30 others like this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Yes! Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

Caravaggio Saturnus.jpg
    "Saturnus," from a set of eight plates by Goltzius. After the monochrome paintings by Polidoro for the courtyard wall in the quarter of St.Paul's Convent, on the Quirinal at Rome, now called Monte Cavallo.
    Dutch, 1592
    Printed engraving on paper
    355 mm x 212 mm
    British Museum Collection

Thank you very much to my Secret Saturnalia benefactor! Three coins! Wonderful additions to my collection!

Postumus PROVIDENTIA AVG.jpg
    Postumus, AD 260-269
    Roman AR Antoninianus; 2.39 g, 19.4 mm, 12 h
    Cologne, AD 265-268
    Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right
    Rev: PROVIDENTIA AVG, Providentia standing left, holding globe and transverse scepter
    Refs: RIC 80; Cohen 295; DeWitte 247; RCV 10977; Hunter 75

Claudius II IOVI STATORI.jpg
    Claudius II "Gothicus", AD 268-270
    Roman billon Antoninianus; 3.12 g, 18.2 mm, 1 h
    Rome, issue I, Sept 268-end 269
    Obv: IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right
    Rev: IOVI STATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding scepter and thunderbolt
    Refs: RIC 52 var.; Cohen 124; MER/RIC temp. 262; RCV 11341; Normanby 595

And this tiny nummus, which I will have to rephotograph in natural sunlight:

Marcian nummus.jpg
    Marcian, AD 450-457
    Roman Æ nummus; 1.41 g, 10.3 mm, 12 h
    Constantinople, AD 450-457
    Obv: D N MARCIANVS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust, right
    Rev: Monogram in wreath:
    Marcian monogram.JPG
    Ꚛ above; CON in exergue
    Refs: RIC 546; RCV 21395

dlhill132, alde, LaCointessa and 29 others like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

WOW!!! @Deacon Ray went over the top!

(In a good way, as usual.)

10. Orfew

Got coins! I really like them...but the gift of a book is a gift of learning and that is always special.

11. Orfew

Very nice. I like the Marcian best.

12. Orfew

Very nice. I have looked at several coins of Sancho but have not bought one yet.

13. Orfew

A great parthian coin! Wonderful.

14. lordmarcovan

OK, here's what I got.

Thank you kindly, @Ancient Aussie.

I gave up on any pretense of good pix. My good camera setup is put away and has been, for way too long. Cellphone shots follow.

20171217_090403.jpg 20171217_090206.jpg

dlhill132, alde, LaCointessa and 32 others like this.
  15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Wonderful gifts from various Secret Saturn so far folks, I love them all

Q

LaCointessa, alde, Deacon Ray and 4 others like this.
  16. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Thanks @Pishpash, glad you enjoyed the coin!

I'd like to give a big thanks to my generous benefactor, unfortunately he only included his "real world" name (which I didn't recognize) and not his Cointalk screen name, and I don't know if he wants his real name used here. So, please feel free to expose your identity if you want, and big thanks in any case!

My coin:
    Secret Saturnalia.jpg
    It's a Faustina Junior sestertius, featuring a reverse of Fecunditas holding a baby. I've posted my two denarii from Faustina's Fecunditas series (featuring two babies on a pulvinar, and Fecunditas with four (!) babies), but this is my first bronze with the theme. Thanks for the coin, and Happy Saturnalia, everyone!

LaCointessa, dlhill132, alde and 22 others like this.
  17. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm a sucker for these awesomely toned denari!

18. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

My coin is a sweet AE from Colonia Patricia of Augustus that fits nicely into my provincial collection. Thank you to my gifter for such a nice and thoughtful gift.

q.jpg

LaCointessa, dlhill132, alde and 22 others like this.
  19. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I'm so glad that you received the package on time, @Orfew ! I was experiencing a bit of anxiety—having very little experience with international shipping. Thank you for the kind words and documentation of images! I was delighted when JA sent me your name as my Saturnalia gift recipient. I knew that the Herod the Great coin was destined for your collection and the Napoleon medal was going to a good home also.

Happy Holidays, my friend! Your knowledge and contributions to this forum are greatly appreciated!

I've received a beautiful coin from an anonymous Santa and will be displaying it later today. I'm still researching it's fascinating history.

20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice gifts, everyone!

Still waiting for mine. Got the tracking from the post office "informed delivery" and it's been yoyoing back and forth to the L.A. distribution center 3 times now since Dec 10.:confused:

GerardV likes this.
  21. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

My santa obviously knew I'm slowly putting together an emperess collection.
    When I opened the box and sifted through the paper packaging the first coin I saw was the reverse, and was blown away.
    Some quick photos as I've been working every day and long hours.
    Excuse the fingers, I work with my hands and they're somewhat stained. Aircraft sealant is hard to remove from anything

Coin #1
    20171216_155731.jpg
    Tranquillina (241-244 AD)
    AE 26mm, 8.47g,
    CA TRANKYΛΛINA AV diademed & draped bust right
    MHTPO KAIC B N
    Mt. Argaeus set on altar
    ET V in exergue
    SYD 617a [scarce]

Coin #2

This is my first of this type and only my 2nd Byzantine coin

20171216_161918.jpg
    Alexius III (1195-1205 AD)
    Billon Trachy - Consantinople
    2.62g, 30mm
    JC-XC + KE HQEI, Bust of Christ facing, beardless, wearing nimbus cross, holding scroll & raising hand in benedication.
    [ALEZIW ECP TW KWCTANTI] Alexius & St. Constantine standing facing, holding labara, globe cross between
    Sear 2013

I think I know who my santa is but not certain.
    Thanks for the generous coins. The Tranquillina has been on my want list and much appreciated. Alexius is awsome and is my 1st from the era. Both are great additions to my collection

dlhill132, alde, LaCointessa and 29 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted