WTS: Ancients

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Justin Lee, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I'm looking to part with a few pieces that are either a duplicate or don't really fit in focus of my collection.

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic
    Cornelius Lentulus Clodianus, Struck 88 BC
    AR Quinarius, Rome mint
    Obverse: Laureate head of Jupiter right.
    Reverse: Victory standing right, crowning trophy, CN LENT in exergue.
    Reference: Crawford 345/2; King 47; Sydenham 703; Cornelia 51
    Size: 14mm, 1.16g

Price: $25 USD [SOLD!]

[​IMG]
    Phrygia, Apameia
    AE22, Circa 100-50 BC
    Kokos as magistrate
    Obverse: Bust of Athena right, wearing high-crested Corinthian helmet and aegis.
    Reverse: AΠΑΜΕΩN above, KΩKOY below, eagle alighting on basis with meander pattern, caps of the Dioscuri, surmounted by star, flanking, star above.
    References: SNG Cop 161-162, BMC 78-82
    Size: 22mm

Price: $45 USD

[​IMG]
    Celtic or Barbarian imitation
    Imitating Magnentius Centenionalis
    Circa mid 4th Century AD
    Obverse: DN MAGNEN-[TIVS PF AVG], crude rendering of draped and cuirassed male bust right, A or H behind.
    Reverse: VICTORIAE [DD NN AVG ET CAE], crude rendering of two victories holding wreath above altar inscribed TOV/???/? in 3 lines; indecipherable mintmark in exergue.
    Based on RIC VIII 307

Price: $20 USD

[​IMG]

Imitative coin of AE3 Constantine I, VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP / Two Victories holding shield surmounted on altar.

Notes: These imitations were struck in the Balkans/Danube region, after Constantine’s reform of the coinage increased the silver content from 1-3% to 3-5%. Forgeries were common (using metal from older coins with lower silver content), but these are clearly imitative rather than forgeries – perhaps inspired by the forgeries, however. It is likely that they were minted and used by German tribes in the border areas, e.g. the Goths, before the first Gothic war in 367.

On the widespread counterfeiting or “unofficial striking” of this VLPP type, Victor Clark has written that “unofficial VLPP were struck after the monetary reforms of 318 that introduced the official VLPP that had circa 4 percent silver. For some regions, the VLPP was the only coin struck in bronze (like Siscia) for a few years, so no surprise it was copied.” Victor believes this particular wave of counterfeiting extended from 318-330 A.D.

Price: $15

Shipping in US would be $4; if outside of US, let's talk (combined shipping).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Theodosius and furryfrog02 like this.