Ancients => ZOMBIE JESUS (say it ain't so!!)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Jul 27, 2016.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh my, when I saw this amazingly cool looking fourree I knew that it was comin' home with me!!

... and then when I scored it under its initial estimate, well then, I kinda felt like a god myself!!

:woot:

... anyway ...

=> here is my first gold coin .... ooops, ummm ... here is my first fake gold coin!!

super fricken cool, yes? (yes)

Nicephorus II Phocas, with Basil II.
    Fourrée Histamenon Nomisma

Constantinople mint
    963-969 AD
    Diameter: 20 mm
    Weight: 2.85 grams
    Obverse: Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator
    Reverse: Crowned facing busts of Nicephorus II, wearing loros, and Basil II, wearing chlamys, holding patriarchal cross between them
    Reference: Cf. DOC 2; cf. Füeg 2; cf. SB 1777
    Other: 6h … Fine, plating worn through
    From the E. E. Clain-Stefanelli Collection

Nicephorus II Phocas Fourree a.jpg Nicephorus II Phocas Fourree b.jpg Nicephorus II Phocas Fourree.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it's from the illusive 10th century AD (this is only my 2nd coin from this century!!)

=> it's a total fricken winner ($75) ... are you fricken kiddin' me?!!

Yup, I'm happy-happy with this steal

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Paddy54 and Alegandron like this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Tremendous! I love it. The contrast between the plating and core is very striking.

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

It's gorgeous, eh?

:rolleyes:

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's a fantastic zombie coin! Nice nab :)

stevex6 likes this.
  7. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

What's the weight of this coin? I'm curious how likely it would've been to fool someone when it was new and the plating was still intact. Gold fourrées, while obviously not unknown, have never been exactly common in any period that I'm familiar with. I assume this reflects the greater care with which a recipient would examine a high-value gold coin compared to silver, maybe combined with greater penalties exacted by the state if the counterfeiter of gold was detected.

Carthago, stevex6 and Alegandron like this.
  8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Zombie Jesus?? I would totally be posting some Cyanide and Happiness comics now, except I'm sure it would get some of the mods involved... Sweet coin Steve!

stevex6 likes this.
  9. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

That is really cool. Has a menacing look.

stevex6 likes this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I think you just won fourees, but if I recall, I think Doug has a gold fouree that might give yours a run for the money.

stevex6 likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Dude.... THAT is the ANTICHRIST!

Excellent score! Beelzebub!

John Anthony and stevex6 like this.
  12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh wow, that's awesome stevex, and a good price i think.
    dougs had a very cool gold fourree he should post here also...it's a "fourree off"!

i don't have any fourrees to pile on .....:(

stevex6 likes this.
  13. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Volodya => here is a CNG link that shows my sweet fourree and the real deal ...

https://cngcoins.com/Search.aspx?PAGE_NUM=&PAGE=1&TABS_TYPE=2&CONTAINER_TYPE_ID=1&IS_ADVANCED=1&ITEM_DESC=Nicephorus II Phocas&ITEM_IS_SOLD=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_1=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_3=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_2=1

=> the real deal seems to be approximately 1.5 times as heavy as my sneaky fourree (4.4 grams compared to my 2.9 grams)

[​IMG][​IMG]

... pretty fricken cool, eh?

Sadly, now I need to score myself a "real deal"

:oops:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  15. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

stevex6 likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

no problem, V-bro

Hey, do you wanna see my other two cool fourrees?

Fourree, Kings of Macedon, Philip III
    323-317 BC
    Kings of Macedon Fourree.jpg

Fourree, Baktria, Indo-Greek, Hermaios

105-90 BC
    Baktria Indo Greek Hermaios Fourree.jpg

=> Zombie horses, ARISE!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  17. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

stevex6 and Alegandron like this.
  18. Alegandron

I have 2 Fourees that I have received de gratis by good friends in coin transactions. I know it is a collecting area, but I just cannot collect items intended for dishonesty whether ancient or modern. Have to say it: I just can not put myself up to buying Fourees...

stevex6 likes this.
  19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I hear what you're saying, Gandalf => but I only like the very obvious fourree examples (I don't think that any of my three examples are gonna fool anybody)

:bear:

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Alegandron

LOL, no, they won't fool folks NOW! Yours IS a great coin! Not really seen many of GOLD ones.

I think if you were CAUGHT with AR... ok, you get a BEATING.

But with a fake GOLD coin??? "Let's take our TIME slowly ripping this guy apart... HEY it is a Jesus Coin??? Let's make sure he is on a cross when we take him apart..."

stevex6 likes this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I passed on that one because I have the fourrees that I need. I was really into them 25-30 years ago when most people thought they were absolute trash. My best is special to me because of the way the copper highlights the gold. Many of mine came from the collection of Grant Edwards who was by profession a metallurgist and introduced me to the idea of technical collecting. His better coins were sent to some high end auction but I got a chance at some of his Roman and Byzantine junk that they did not want. I wonder what happened to his Greek fourrees. The dealers who would have nothing to do with his Romans were able to take his Greeks.

Basil II and Constantine VIII ex. Grant Edwards
    rz0470bb0432.jpg
    Of course the gold over silver one is special to me also. It is my only recent purchase and was bought because of the silver.
    rz0455bb1174.jpg

A few others with less appeal:
    Phocas ex Joel Malter
    rz0260bb0442.jpg

Basil I & Constantine ex. Grant Edwards
    rz0430bb0431.jpg

Basil II and Constantine VIII ex. Grant Edwards - Miliaresion with no silver left or is it just black??? rz0480bb0403.jpg

Michael IV ex. Grant Edwards
    rz0510bb0404.jpg

Carthago, TJC, GregH and 10 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted