Ancients: Zeus, the King of the Gods

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Oct 19, 2014.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Depending on who was in control at the time, the electrum coinage of Phokaia and Mytilene in Ionia was struck as payment to either the Persian Empire or the Delian League. Issued semi-annually, the volume of coins minted was prolific – both mints produced a wide range of designs and a significant output of electrum coinage.

Even though the Athens owl tetradrachms were increasing in popularity, the hektes produced from Ionia remained the preferred coinage around the Aegean Sea. They were able to maintain their dominance through highly profitable trade with the other coastal cities, resulting in the hekte acting as a recognizable trade currency. Stylistically, the coins resembled intaglio gem engraving, with the reverses engraved incuse. While Mytilene utilized the reverse space with additional artistic designs, Phokaia retained the archaic tradition of the four-part incuse square.

Phokaia also consistently depicted their civic badge, a seal named Phoke, on the obverse of the coin alongside the primary image of a god or animal.

They remained in circulation across the region for over two centuries, helped in part by their relative resistance to wear through the firm alloy of silver and gold. The series was finally ended in 326 BC when gold became preferred over electrum after Alexander the Great standardized the coinage of eastern Greece.

This coin is unknown to any reference guide and possibly unique. However, it can be accurately identified as a coin minted by Phokaia by both the seal shown on the obverse and the incuse reverse square.

The portrait shown on the obverse is that of Zeus. While a common choice for coins throughout Greece due to the significance and popularity of the “King of the Gods”, Zeus occurs relatively infrequently on electrum and is only seen facing left on one other very rare issue.

Regardless of the metal type, Zeus is always depicted majestically, paying homage to his importance. This coin is no exception, showing his portrait in a respectful, fine style and adorned with a laurel wreath, fit for the “Father of Gods and men”.

IONIA, Phokaia, Electrum Hekte, ca.450-400BC, 9mm, 2.6g. Head of Zeus l./Quadripartite incuse square. Extremely rare, possibly unique.

Post your hektes, or coins featuring Zeus!

Collect89, geekpryde, Jwt708 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coin and write up.

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

You seem to be having a good run with EL pickups, AJ... all of them fantastic, and this one no exception. Thinking about the antiquity of these electrum coins is making me wonder which coin bears the earliest depiction of Zeus.

I have no hektes, and just two coins with Zeus on them, nicknamed Big Z and Little Z...

zeus.jpg

Jwt708, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  5. RabidRick

RabidRick Sardonic Devil's Advocate

The Zeus hecte is nice because it actually shows the seal, something you don't find often in those because of the strike. I could ask Joeseph Linzalone here in Dec. but I haven't seen this one (and I have seen a lot, but he would know better than me).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Like most ancient collectors, I have many coins featuring Zeus-- or I thought I did. Most of mine are of Zeus Ammon. Since I'm currently working on a new thread for the latter, I'll only post my nicest non-syncreted Zeus here. :)

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF MACEDON, Philip II. 356-36 BCE
    AR tetradrachm. 24mm, 14.20 gm, 12h
    Lifetime issue of Pella, 342-336 BCE
    Obv: Laureate head of Zeus right
    Rev: ΦIΛIΠ-ΠOY, youth, holding palm and reins, on horseback right, thunderbolt below, N in exergue
    Ref: Le Rider 222-306. SNG ANS 385-95
    Deeply struck and beautifully toned. NGC Choice VF 5/5 - 3/5, Fine Style.
    privately acquired August 2013; ex Colosseo Collection
    Image by Colosseo Collection

geekpryde, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  7. RabidRick

RabidRick Sardonic Devil's Advocate

Do the ATG tetradrachms count? ;3

I think I see Athena more than Zeus, which makes sense given the times.

8. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

Gosh that Philip II is stunning! I am envious!:wacky:

TIF likes this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks, JBG. I am thrilled to be the new owner :)

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Another nice coin AJ.

Arcadia Megalopolis_opt.jpg
    ARCADIA MEGALOPOLIS Triobol
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Zeus left
    REVERSE: Pan seated left, holding lagobolon; eagle on knee, monogram before, D/L behind
    Struck at Megalopolis 182-168 BC
    2.160g, 14mm
    Dengate 13

11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

what a beauty, another "10 beaver" coin form AJ!

:beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver:

here's one of my more interesting (to me) zeus coins. an indo-greek
    zeus-lincoln.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    John Anthony, zumbly, JBGood and 2 others like this.
  12. JBGood

Wow! Abe was really popular!;)

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wowzer => yup, it's another absolute AJ-winner!! (always a pleasure to view your wares)

Zeus, eh? (I have a good handful of 'em) ... man, that dude really loved tossin' those thunderbolts!!

Diocletian (Zeus with eagle)
    ancient1face.jpg ancient1tail.jpg

Philip II (the ol' Zeus side-shot)
    Philip side view aa.jpg

Pontos Amisos (Zeus and Eagle on Thunderbolt)
    Pontos Amisos Mithradates VI Eagle.jpg

=> a couple o' sweet Ptolemy IVs
    ptolemy.jpg ptolemy zeus.jpg

Syracuse Hicetas (Zeus and Eagle on Thunderbolt)

syr eagle.jpg

Syracuse Timoleon

syracuse Timoleon.jpg

Ptolemy X
    zeusa.jpg zeusb.jpg

chrsmat71, TIF, JBGood and 2 others like this.
  14. JBGood

15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Another stunning coin, AJ. Congratulations! How about Zeus stamped with Cleopatra's mark?

Antioch ad Orontes, Semi-Autonomous
    AE23, 10.77g, 12h, Denomination A; Antioch: after 47 BC
    Obv.: Laureate head of Zeus right; countermark of Cleopatra VII.
    Rev.: ‭[‬A]NTIOΣEΩN‭ [‬ME]TPOΠOΛ[EΩΣ‭]; Zeus seated left, holding Nike and scepter, thunderbolt above.
    Reference: Butcher 20, SNG Cop 80

cleo.jpg

chrsmat71, JBGood and TIF like this.
  16. JBGood

Background please. Countermarks?

17. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

During the civil war between Octavian and Mark Antony, Antony granted sections of his Levantine conquests to his lover, Cleopatra (who he persistently canoodled despite being married to Octavian's sister). Antioch ad Orontes was one of Antony's gifts to Cleopatra, and one occasionally finds coins of this era counter-marked with her bust.

But Antony eventually got his butt kicked, Octavian took the name Augustus, and the Roman Republic became the Roman Empire. (That's the Reader's Digest version.)

JBGood likes this.
  18. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Zeus as obverse...
    MysiaAdramyteion357-352BC_opt.jpg PtolemyIII.jpg
    ThessalyStater196-146BC.jpg

stevex6, zumbly, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  19. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks! I have been on a bit of an electrum buying spree. These small coins tend to not be as appreciated as they should be. I have a couple more waiting in the wings still but will probably shift gears over to silver for the next couple weeks :)

Draft saved Draft deleted