Ancients - Upgrade MN. FONTEIUS Denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Although I was pleased enough with my first denarius of MN. Fonteius, I had the opportunity to pick up what I consider an upgrade at a reasonable price a couple of weeks ago. The first images are of my older denarius while the second is the new purchase.

I am uncertain about the attribution of each of these. The first I had attributed as Fonteia 7 while the second I have as Fonteia 8. There is also a Fonteia 8v, and, truth be told, I cannot tell the difference in any of the three. Any insight is appreciated.

I'm not sure what I might want to do with the first. It's always so hard to let any go, so I will probably just keep them both.
    Mn. Fonteius OBV.jpg Mn. Fonteius REV.jpg
    MN. FONTEIUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS FONTEIA AR Denarius OBVERSE: Jugate heads of the Dioscuri
    REVERSE: Galley under oar, MN FONTEI
    Struck at Rome 108-109 BC
    3.5g, 20mm
    Cr.307/1, Fonteia 7

Mn Fonteius 2.jpg
    MN. FONTEIUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS FONTEIA AR Denarius OBVERSE: Jugate heads of the Dioscuri
    REVERSE: Galley under oar, MN FONTEI above, C below.
    Struck at Rome 108-109 BC
    3.9g, 20mm
    Cr.307/1, Fonteia 8

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Wow. Upgrade is an understatement. That is a gorgeous coin! I wish I could help with the attribution question, but it's outside my niche. There is just nothing wrong with that coin at all - sharp portraits, and the galley is magnificent.

4. Bing

Thanks JA. I paid just at double for the second coin what I paid for the first, but I think it was worth the little extra.

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a dramatic upgrade! Sorry I can't help with the attribution either, but it's a striking type and an all round fantastic coin.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yup, that is a great upgrade, congrats. How I felt with a Lucilla I still havent shared.

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is not an easy answer because the 'experts' do not agree. The distinctive features seem to be whether or not there is a PP in front of the faces and whether the denomination mark is a plain X or a crossed *. Your old one has the PP; both are crossed. Roman Silver Coins (Seaby) says 7 is no PP and 8 is PP then assigning higher numbers to other types by this family of moneyers. Banti reserves 7 for the plain X coins (rare) and makes other little distinctions until the PP appears at 14. I do not have the original Babelon (Ardatirion?) to check that. In any event the difference suggests both of yours are at least reversed with the new being a 7 in RSC and the old an 8. Confused? I am. Sear dodged the matter by listing it in Millennium as 'sometimes with PP before'. The dies are lettered (you have O on the reverse). The new one is worth at least 4x the old.

stevex6 likes this.
  8. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Sheesh, that's such an upgrade Bing. That piece is amazing compared to the first. ;)

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, those are both pretty sweet coins, big-bro ...

However, it is a no-brainer that your new upgrade is definitely an Uber-cool example!!

=> hey, congrats on snaggin' that aAJ specimen (you've stepped into the big league, my friend) ;)

.... seriously, that's a very sweet lookin' coin (bravo)

10. Bing

You got that right! Thanks for the "clarification". No. Really. Thanks for the assistance.

11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Just call it Bing number 1 A+

12. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

That's a very nice upgrade. Congrats!!

13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

now that's what i call an upgrade...man, what a pretty coin. dioscuri look great and it's cool how the galley appears to be moving obliquely...not straight at up but not to the right....in between.

super coin.

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A different member of the family issued a similar ship reverse a few years earlier. Gaius used Janus in place of the twins and his ship is sailing left. I do not know if they were brothers or what but I suspect someone could research that.
    re0240b02329lg.jpg

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, cool Janus coin ... yah, I'm a big fan of that two-faced look ... very cool

16. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

One heck of an upgrade Bing. I can't help you at all with the references. The coin on the tone is fantastic and the I am a huge fan of the jugate busts. The galley just rocks. Definitely the highlight of the coin. It looks like it is coming right off the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted