Ancients: Three more Romans from Friday's show

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, May 4, 2013.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Three more from the show with a little comment on what it was that I found interesting enough to make me want the coin:

re1395bb3055.jpg

From the 1st century AD is this copper as of Titus. These are regularly well struck, well centered and well designed so the points I look for most are surfaces and price. This one has enough wear that it was not super expensive and is smooth enough that I find it pleasing. When I regret a coin purchase it often is because of roughness which I find more disturbing than wear.
    rx0525bb3056.jpg
    I did not get a single coin from the 2nd century but I decided that I needed this denarius of Gordian III from the third. Gordian is the last emperor with easy to afford silver denarii. There are rare Philips and even more rare denarii of Decius but Gordian is unusual in that collectors can get denarii or antoniniani for about the same price. One might ask whether we want the smaller coin when the larger ones are easier to find but I liked the horse on this one. This one has some surface problems but the ragged edge is from manufacture rather than damage and I found the tone pleasing. This is only my second Gordian denarius.
    rx7765bb0099.jpg
    I don't specialize in coins of RIC volume IX but liked this Valentinian II. At 24mm diameter it is large even for an AE2. The portrait is unusual for this very young ruler who usually looks cuter than here. That nose reminds me of Nerva. Alexandria mint often has a distinctive style and good workmanship. As an added bonus, I likes the detail on the reverse captive.

None of these three fit any idea I had of something I was seeking when I went to the show but we have mentioned before that I enjoy collecting by mystery.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

I also like the detail of the captive on the third coin. Nice acquisitions.

4. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Great Valentinian II Doug!

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

All three coins are very nice. I have thought about adding a gordian denarius just cause they are affordable but then I think..."Why?. I am sick of his mug. But if I saw the one you bought I may bite. I like it.

The Val II for sure has a great portrait. Interesting nose indeed.

On the reverse of the titus, is it bronze disease or just hard copper?

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I like them all well enough to have wanted to add them to my collection if I had the chance. Nice eye Doug. Not surprising.

7. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Very nice coin Doug, you find the best coin's.:thumb:

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great additions Doug, I like the look of the captive a lot as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted