Ancients: The Great Sphinx

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Here's my example of the Castulo sphinx. It's double use, with the bottle opener function :D

[​IMG]

Q

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Nice...happy birthday by the way.

arizonarobin and Cucumbor like this.
  4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

HB2U, @Cucumbor!

I remember your "bottle opener"!

Cucumbor likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Forgive a modern coin (and not the magic coin), but this is a nice Sphinx

[​IMG]

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Indeed. I thought immediately of that type. It is one of the more iconic modern Egyptian issues.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Resurrecting this thread because I was fortunate enough to add a third Alexandrian sphinx to my collection :). It's not as spectacular as AJ's Domitian but it's pretty darn nice. There are even some face details on the sphinx.

I wonder what the collective name is for sphinxes (or sphinges if you prefer the lesser used plural)? I suggest riddle. I now have a riddle of sphinxes :D.

DomitianObolSphinx-Emmett326-RT.jpg
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Domitian
    Æ obol; 17.5 mm, 3.40 gm
    RY 11 (91/92 CE)
    Obv: laureate head right
    Rev: Andro-Sphinx seated right; L A in exergue
    Ref: Dattari (Savio) 570-1 var. (same); K&G 24.181 var. (same); RPC II 2645; Emmett 326.11; Köln 395 var. (position of date)
    ex Rocky Mountain Collection of Alexandrian, purchased from William M. Rosenblum

Hmm, looks like I didn't post my second Egyptian sphinx in this thread so I'll pop it in here too :D.

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius
    year 20, CE 156/7
    AE obol, 18 mm, 4.36 gm
    Obv: laureate head right
    Rev: sphinx crouched/reclining left; L K above
    Ref: Emmett 1782.20 (unlisted reverse for year 20); unlisted in Geissen and Dattari

May as well re-post my first one so they're all in one place :joyful:.
    [​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Marcus Aurelius as Caesar
    AE obol, 20.5 mm, 6.0 gm. Alexandria.
    Year 15 (CE 151/2)
    Obv: MAVPHΛICKAICAP; bust right, bare head
    Rev: Sphinx reclining right; LIE (date) above in left field
    Ref: Emmett 1919.15, R5; Dattari 3221; RPC IV online 15684

Are the "crouched sphinx" reverse on these Alexandrians meant to depict the Great Sphinx of Giza? I guess we'll never know. Maybe, maybe not. It seems odd that there aren't more Alexandrian coins with this reverse. It seems the Great Sphinx of Giza was visible in this era of the Roman empire. Pliny the Elder describes it in Natural History, vol. 36, chapter 17-- including fairly accurate dimensions. It also seems odd that pyramids are lacking on coins of Roman Egypt.

Heh. Well... looks like I'm going to try for one "great sphinx pose" for each issuing person in Alexandrian coinage. Three down, three to go. Good luck, buddy :p :D.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow!! That's fantastic!

Edessa and TIF like this.
  10. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Fantastic coins! To your question of if it is "the" Sphinx, it's also worth noting that the Romans were notoriously bad at depicting other prominent structures as well: why is the Colosseum on so few issues? And, I don't believe there are any coins with the Pyramids on them.

I suspect it might be a case of not needing to spend propaganda space on objects that everyone already knew but it is very interesting nonetheless.

11. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Cool coins. So In 1989 I took my junior year at the University of Leeds in England. I spent my winter break backpacking through Egypt. I wanted to show my friends back in Kentucky that I was thinking of them. So I had this picture made when I was hanging out with the Great Sphinx. I would love to have a Sphinx coin. But I’m glad to have the memories. 7893DF4F-F4F7-4758-A1A1-F8275A80549C.jpeg

12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great additions @TIF.

TIF likes this.
  13. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Congrats, TIF - that Domitian sphinx is an awesome coin! and a riddle of sphinxes, just amazing. I suspect that even without you shopping for another one, bidding for the next one will still be competitive. Thanks too for the Pliny reference - linked here for anyone else interested.

7Calbrey, Edessa and TIF like this.
  14. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

GREAT shot, Gavin!

Orfew and Gavin Richardson like this.
  15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Truly amazing score with that Domitian, TIF.... but, uhm, next one's mine!

00sphynx-image-a-9_1495840740391.jpg

16. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What a CLASSIC THREAD!!!!
    Loving all the coins and coingrats @TIF on the new wonderful acquisition:artist::wideyed:
    My sphynx, like the one in Egypt, is broken:
    20190326_144513_EA0C2E3A-56B1-40D9-849A-E4415B0FCC6B-406-000000BB0FE7A2FA.png

17. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Not THE sphinx, but A sphinx.

Emmett-2238.06 (R5); Dattari-3464; Geissen-unlisted.

upload_2020-9-28_0-42-34.png

- Broucheion

zumbly, PeteB, Edessa and 5 others like this.
  18. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Roman Republic. T. Carisius.
    2918015l-1.jpg

19. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Beautiful! I would love to have one of these, but they're difficult to find in decent condition.

Edessa and Carausius like this.
  20. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Indeed. The example from @Carausius is free from the typical mis-strikes and primitive styles seen on most of the coins of T. Carisius. They are plentiful but rare when really nice, and very rare when of great style and well struck from fresh dies.

Draft saved Draft deleted