Ancients - Ten Buck Greek

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I purchased this coin on Wednesday and it arrived today. First, I did buy this coin for the huge amount of $10 plus $3 shipping. It was one of those coins that goes without any bids. I surmised the reason it was not garnering any attention was the seller's images. The obverse showed damaging "scratches" across the face and hair. However, on further examination, it looked more the image was of the coin inside the plastic flip which is what had the scratches. So I decided to take the chance and bid the opening and only bid it received.

The first images are mine while the second are the seller's images. I think you can see what I'm talking about.

MARONEIA, THRACE OBV.JPG
    MARONEIA, THRACE REV.JPG
    MARONEIA, THRACE OBV (2).jpg
    MARONEIA, THRACE REV (2).jpg
    MARONEIA, THRACE AE24
    OBVERSE: Wreathed head of Dionysos right
    REVERSE: Dionysos standing naked, holding bunch of grapes and two narthex wands, monogram to lower left, Greek legend DIONYSOU SOTIROS MARONITON ("of Dionysos, saviour of the Maroneans")
    Struck at Maroneia 148 BC
    10.94g, 24mm
    Sear 1638

Maroneia

In legend, it was said to have been founded by Maron, a son of Dionysus, or even a companion of Osiris. According to Pseudo-Scymnus it was founded by Chios in the first half of the 6th century BC. According to Pliny, its ancient name was Ortagures. It was located on the hill of Aghios Gheorgis, and archaeological findings date it as a much older and as a pure Thracian city.

Maroneia was close to the Ismaros mentioned by Homer in the Odissey. Some scholars identify Maroneia with his Ismaros. Homer has Odysseus plundering the city but sparing Maron, whom he identifies as a priest of APOLLO. Maron presents Odysseus with a gift of wine, as well as with gold and silver.

In the era of Ancient Greece and Rome, Maroneia was famous for its wine production. The wine was esteemed everywhere; it was said to possess the odor of nectar, and to be capable of mixture with twenty or more times its quantity with water.That the people of Maroneia venerated Dionysus, we learn not just from its famous Dionysian Sanctuary, the foundations of which can still be seen today, but also from the city's coins.

In 200 BC it was taken by Philip V of Macedon, who vented his rage by slaughtering a great number of the city's inhabitants. The Roman Republic subsequently granted Maroneia to Attalus, King of Pergamon, but almost immediately revoked their gift and declared it a free city.

Attached Files:

randygeki, Ancientnoob, TIF and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats a good $10 score. Gotta love when bad images turn out to be a good coin once in hand.

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Definitely a good score for $13.

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I love how weathered and ancient this coin looks. Oh wait, it IS ancient! Seriously, it retains some nice details too... great pickup for $10!

6. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Nice score for any price Bing. That coin oozes character, from the crusty patina to the somewhat weathered, but still stylistic design.

The fact that you got it for the cost of a sandwich makes it all the sweeter.

Well done!

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Smooth lookin' new score, big brother ... congrats on a very cool coin-type (cozy eye-appeal on that lil' baby of yours)

Cheers ... I hope that your Saturday night is goin' well (my god-son birthday party was fun) ... nobody got outta control except for the kid (and that was expected and celebrated)

8. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Awesome coin jw, nice husky coin,i like it,very good write up too!!

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice coin bing...I almost bid one that one! I purchased another coin that day (I think from the same seller) and also received it today. had a bit of BD, and I'm treating...but i'll post later this week.

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Wow, nice catch, Bing. I'll take that coin any day of the week for $13. From the seller's images, I would have passed on it as well. I'm glad your gamble worked out, and I also appreciate your write-up.

11. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Believe me . I feel jealous.. Pretty real pick-up.
    Charles

12. Bing

Thanks all.

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

14. chrsmat71

here's my 10 buck greek...+ 3 bucks shipping.

[​IMG]

Macedonian Kingdom
    Philip V or Perseus
    187 - 168 B.C.

AE double unit, SNG Cop 1307
    o: laureate head of Zeus right
    r: ΜΑ−ΚΕ/∆ΟΝ−ΩΝ, winged thunderbolt, TB monogram below

23 mm
    7.6g

zumbly, Eng, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  15. Bing

Now there's another I would have tried to buy. Great pickup JA and wonderful (Bing) price!

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice pick-up, chrsmat (ummm, apparently Bing is distracted) ...
    Man, I love your Philip V pickup ... I also have a couple of low-end winners of Philip-V

Strymon & Trident => Macedonian Under Philip V & Perseus, AE16 (Celtic?)
    geek7.jpg geek2.jpg

Heracles & Two Goats => Philip V, AE20
    two goatsb.jpg two goats.jpg

TIF, zumbly, Bing and 2 others like this.
  17. chrsmat71

that double goat is pretty darn cool stevex, i don't remember that coin.

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yah ... Willie and Billie goat don't get out too much!!

(I like the f-you finger, in exergue)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  19. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

shaq.jpg

stevex6, chrsmat71, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  20. chrsmat71

21. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Good eyes Bing. I guess they haven't gotten bad in your older age ;) My eyes are already on the way out at 25!

That is 10 buck winner!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    Bing likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted