Ancients takes over World !

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cucumbor, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

15557 vs 15556 !
    The ancient coins section has now more threads than the world coins section

Yeepee !
    And congrats to you all CT friends for keeping it alive and vivid

:) Q

Nyatii, R*L, Ancient Aussie and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yay us! :D

Or are we fools for revealing how amazing our hobby is, adding to our competition? o_O

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’ve noticed far more competition in Ancient Chinese coins since I have started posting about them :(

5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

The Ancient Coin forum has more threads than World Coins forum because ancient coins are more interesting & challenging to collect. Ancient coin collectors have a willingness to share their knowledge & insights more freely than other coin collectors. We are not only collectors we're numismatists.

Nicholas Molinari and Cucumbor like this.
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Yes, you did that to yourself. I would have never been exposed to Chinese coins if it wasn't for you. I'm sure there's a dozen people here who can say the same.

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

There is so much interesting history behind ancient coins that one could spend a lifetime collecting, with world coins we run into coins that are mechanically produced and less interesting. Onward and upward to the Ancient Coin Forum!!!

Cucumbor and furryfrog02 like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I saw this last week and thought it was pretty cool, for posts anyways.

It is a shame the world forum is slow much of the time, I enjoy it as much as the ancients forum.

Chris B and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Ancients takes over World !

I can just see it: Legions of aging, paunching and bald Ancient Coin Collectors marching to take over the Numismatic World....:):):)

But I think you are right, Q, the Ancients forum is really active nowadays!

10. Sallent

So, what price do we win? A free denarius for each member?

giphy.gif

Johndakerftw, spirityoda and TIF like this.
  11. Appears the stats agree with you.

Average comments per thread:
    Ancients - 19.24
    US - 18.24
    Coin Chat - 16.92
    World - 12.55
    Errors - 9.33

Is the ancient community just that more involved and interested?

Error Coins, you are next!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  12. Sallent

Not a good example, bro. Van Damme kicks butt without his eyesight. God bless the 1980s. Today's kids don't know what cinematic gems they missed out on.

5321449-1725935394-twdMr.gif

spirityoda likes this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I just crunched those same numbers and was going to say the same thing! I believe it is because there is more to say and more to learn about our coins. I also bet if you subtracted out all of the "guess the grade" responses and all of the insult posts, the messages per thread number for the US board would be much lower :D.

14. great minds

TIF likes this.
  15. I couldn't find a movie where someone says "You will be next" then wins. Same thing happened to Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat. haha.

Sallent likes this.
  16. Sallent

Well, nothing is stoping us from having such high quality content as the US Forum and Coin Chat Forum:

"Guess the grade, MS-61, MS-62, MS-63, or MS-64? And will it be worth more if I get a CAC sticker?"

85602q00 (2).jpg

Ok, I think I went too far. I deserve the troll spray.

880dba815ee76e6d5abf9a915a8c0dac.jpg

17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I spend a lot of time in the "Light Side" too (I confess I really like early U.S coins, specially early copper).

However, I do wish there was a little less talk about this TPG and that TPG, and 'will my coin grade', and 'is it cleaned or not'. I try to stay away from that.

The World Coin forum can also be a bit slow at times, with varying interest from participants - pity because another area I am passionate about is 18/19th century German and Latin American Colonial.

18. @Sallent congratulations on a beautiful MS* Choice AU 6/5 6/5 GEM Specimen. You have been rewarded.
    85602q00 (2).jpg

19. Sallent

Here is the problem with the US and Coin Chat sections: This is a screen shot of the Coin Chat section:

Screenshot_20180924-122329.jpg

This is what's trending as of 5 minutes ago:

#1 Stop fighting and allienating new collectors.

#2 is a new grading scale so we can regrade our coins and ask for more money.

#3 Millenials not spending enough on our overpriced coins and our profits might collapse.

#4: A new variety discovered that we can ask more money for ...never mind that it takes a microscope to see it which is why nobody noticed it or cared before.

#5: Are we really numismatists or just investors in commodities.

#8: How much money can I get for my coin?

#9: Will a fancy label from PCGS or NGC, or a sticker from CAC or whatever, get me more money for my coin than a regular label?

That's right now, but on any given day that's a fair representation of the depth of discussion there.:(

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The Holder Premium thread kills me-- and it was a Featured thread! And it's up to 81 pages now? Sigh.

Severus Alexander, ycon and Sallent like this.
  21. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Looks like CHAOS to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted