Ancients slabbed by International Numismatic Bureau !!!! Any slab collectors interested ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I just received these four slabs from my sister. She purchased all four of them at a yard sale.

I wonder if any slab collectors at CT would be interested in these things? The coins inside are the uber-reduced size AE4 thingies. However, there is not a single detail visible on the coins. They are basically basal-state un-attributable coin-like discs that were worn to death and buried about 1,700 years ago. It was not until recently that they were put into their plastic coffins.

It is more difficult to see the lack of details through the plastic slab than if the coins were raw. Does this mean that this slabbing raised or lowered the overal value of the pieces? :D
    IMG_6486.jpg Please post ‘em if you got ‘em.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here is a close-up of one of the INB slabs.
    IMG_6487.jpg IMG_6488.jpg

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's hilarious!

5. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Ancientnoob and Collect89 like this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Neither are worth anything. Sell them all as a lot for $10 on ebay.

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

They will probably be given away to four (random) young people before the week is over.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Why would you do that to the youth? Give them a coin you can see as well.

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Based upon your comment (& I've learned that the slabs may be easily opened & re-closed), I will put some more interesting Constantine The Great era coins in the cases.

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I regret the comment. It teaches that these plastic abominations may have a reason for being.

Ryro, randygeki and Ancientnoob like this.
  12. Bubba London

Bubba London New Member

Bought one of these Constantine the Great coins...in the plastic...by theINB...only paid $8... Are these real Roman coins? How and why are they so cheap? Thanks anyone!

ominus1 and Ancientnoob like this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> welcome, Bubba London

ominus1 likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Cheap? The things are not worth 8 cents if they are so featureless that you have to ask if they are coins. The whole thing was a scam to take money from people who know nothing about ancient coins. If the cases can be reclosed, replacing the contents with a low grade coin that is a real identifiable coin is a good idea. Giving them away is not good for the hobby since it spreads the idea that they are of some value. The more people that get cheated involving ancient coins, the more people will support laws making collecting illegal and the more people will distrust all coin people. I fail to see how that benefits anyone.

15. Amanda Lynn

Amanda Lynn New Member

I got a coin off an auction the other day... The front looks just like one from Numista... But the back is just slightly off. Maybe cuz it's old. I have no idea. If it's a fake, it's a pretty darn good one. Heck, even if it turns out to be a fake, I'm gonna keep it just cuz it looks legit

16. Reggie Alexander

Reggie Alexander New Member

17. Reggie Alexander

18. Reggie Alexander

Hello Reggie here I got one too. Lol
    [​IMG] IMB JUNK.jpg

19. Reggie Alexander

I guess Ol Constantine is getting around alot these days. Thnx for having me in the forum.

ominus1 likes this.
  20. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Welcome Reggie,

You're right. Constantine did get around! The nice thing about Constantine is that he had plenty of coins minted for him, and reputable dealers still sell plenty of coins of him showing great detail for $20.

For me, I'd much rather have this coin for $30 that shows great detail than an $8 slabbed coin that's unrecognizable--I think that's the point of this old thread.

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/vi..._i_vlpp_from_sisciaric_50/450942/Default.aspx

I've collected Constantine for a while--a pretty inexhaustible figure for people with big budgets and tiny budgets alike.

Reggie Alexander and ominus1 like this.
  21. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

As Marlon Brando said in Apocalypse Now...

c4IOOS6.png

Orfew, Alegandron and TypeCoin971793 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted