Featured Ancients: Richmond show report - a big surprise for me

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Oct 18, 2014.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Today I went to the small show in Richmond VA which produced five new coins all from one dealer. Of course, both dealers there were at Fredericksburg a couple weeks ago and will be at Baltimore in a couple weeks so I could have talked myself out of going. Of the five coins, two came with surprises when I found them on acsearch. I fail to understand many things but am seriously suspecting that some of the information on some of these online sites is questionable.

The subject of this thread is a type I did not know so it was not on my want list. I might not have bought it except for the fact that (a) I trust the dealer and (b) do not claim to know all of the million or so ancient types. This one is in Sear (2403) but is not illustrated there. There are several on acsearch where I learned that the monogram letters on the reverse vary from coin to coin. I was thrilled to find one of the acsearch shown coins had my same monogram. Then I saw that it was my coin and was listed as having been sold in 2012. I did recognize the ticket that came with the coin as being the style used by the listed auction but the bottom part of the ticket had been cut off. I did not pay even 1/3 of the listed realization but that is not unusual for a seller known for selling things for several times their reasonable price. The dealer I bought it from often gets coins that failed to sell in overpriced auctions so I wonder if this one actually sold and was returned, went unpaid by the winning bidder or failed to meet reserve and was wholesaled off with the other losers from the sale. It makes no difference. I would not pay the auction price (I barely paid the bargain price) but am glad to have the coin with its defects and all.

0bb3185.jpg
    Boeotia, Federal coinage c.250 BC AR drachm or half stater, S.2405, BCD 95

Depending on who you ask the head is Demeter or Persephone. Some say Kore but that just means maiden so I'm going with Persephone because of the chubby face and we all know she got in her difficulties by eating high calorie Pomegranate seeds. The reverse shows Poseidon whose trident and dolphin both got clipped a bit by the edge of the flan. At the right is the monogram A pi and a small Boeotian shield. The legend reads "of the Boeotians" (missing the final N). The gash on the throat of the portrait shows clearly in the seller's photo so I doubt the coin was returned because of it even though I do believe it should have been mentioned in an auction description. At the show, there was no description so I had to see it on my own.

3/4 facing heads are not all that easy to engrave. This is not the best I have and the small coin (18mm) is not as impressive as ones we see on tets. I would love to see any others of this issue anyone might have but I'll suggest this would be a place to show any of your facing head or 3/4 facing coins.

Larissa (3)
    g01060b00361lg.jpg g01070b00095lg.JPG g01085bb2918.jpg
    Rhodes (2)
    g01740b00451lg.JPG g01750bb0159.jpg
    Tarsos (2)
    g01890b00518lg.JPG g01895bb3153.jpg

RaceBannon, Collect89, xGAJx and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Good looking coins. With all the variations and multitude of coins issued within the same period, sometimes I find it hard to ID a coin correctly. Sometimes even the label or identification from a seller is wrong as I have found out myself a few times.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Your bargain newcomer is very nice Doug. I would be glad to have it.
    Satraps of Caria.jpg
    SATRAPS OF CARIA, MAUSSOLLOS AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: Head of Apollo facing slightly to the right
    REVERSE: Zeus standing right, holding labrys and spear
    Struck at Maussollos 377-353 BC
    3.50g, 14mm
    Sear 4956

CARION ISLANDS RHODES.jpg
    CARION ISLANDS: RHODES Hemidrachm
    OBVERSE: Radiate head of Helios 3/4 facing
    REVERSE: Rose with magistrates name above, caduceous left all within uncuse square
    Struck at Rhodes 167-88 BC
    1.6g; 12mm
    Sear 5065v

stevex6, John Anthony, TIF and 4 others like this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

wonderful coin DS...soft features but they look nice with the dark highlighting.

I don't have a "not quite" facing coin!:grumpy:

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Wonderful coin Doug! Heres the best I could do.

935229_522469501123299_725249295_n.jpg

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The latest coin is very nice! I have this rare little one from Grynion... it looks like it's been electrocuted but I'm still very fond of it.

Grynion.jpg

AEOLIS, Grynion
    AE12, 1.73g
    Circa 3rd century BC
    SNG Cop 205-206
    O: Three-quarter facing head of Apollo, turned slightly left, wearing laurel wreath. R: GYP-NH, mussel shell.

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's quite a nab, Doug! And yes, that prior seller does tend towards higher-then-market prices. He had a recent Vauctions sale. There were several coins of interest to me but the opening bids alone were higher than comparable examples. Others must've noticed because there were a large number of unsold lots.

I've seen a few of the general type in recent auctions and was tempted. Does the portrait remind anyone else of mumps?

[​IMG]

I have a few facing portraits:

[​IMG]
    Sicily, Syracuse. Dionysos I
    390 BCE

Æ tetras, 14 mm, 1.8 gm
    Obv: head of nymph facing slightly left, wearing necklace
    Rev: octopus
    Ref: CNS 29; SNG ANS 385

[​IMG]
    MACEDON, under Roman rule
    D. Junius Silanus Manlianus, praetor
    142-141 BCE

AE, 20 x 22 mm, 9.5 gm
    Obv: Facing mask of Silenus, wearing ivy wreath
    Rev: MAKE ΔONΩN legend In two lines; D above; all within ivy wreath
    Ref: SNG Copenhagen 1324

[​IMG]
    IONIA, Klazomenai
    Mid-late 4th century BCE

Æ18 mm, 4.35 g
    Obv: bust of Athena facing slightly right, wearing triple-crested Attic helmet
    Rev: KLAΖOMEN / AIΩN in two lines above, ram walking right; in right field, trophy
    Ref: SNG Munich 484; SNG Copenhagen 86

And this wonderful Corinth stater which has a facing portrait of Silenus control mark:

[​IMG]
    CORINTHIA, Corinth.
    345-307 BCE

AR stater, 8.65 gm
    Obv Pegasus flying left, qoppa below
    Rev: helmeted head of Athena left wearing necklace; head of Silenus behind
    Ref: Ravel 1046. Calciati 408. Scarce variety.
    from Heritage Auctions, June 2013
    This scarce variety was chosen to represent Corinth staters, #23 in Harlan J. Berk's book, "100 Greatest Ancient Coins".

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    RaceBannon, vlaha, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Super coins, Doug! The fact that you're still discovering new types after fifty years of collecting underscores the fact that there is no end to learning when it comes to numismatics.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That's exciting and depressing all in one. Exciting to know I can continually find something new (to me) and depressing to know there is no end. Well, I'll stick to the exciting part.

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Very cool new pickup, Doug ... ya gotta love Neptune coins with tridents and mini dolphins (awesome)

I have a few 3/4 facing examples to toss-in (thanks for the coin-invite, my friend)

Istrus, Moesia
    eagledolphin.jpg

Demetrius I (Bactrian Kings), Trichalkon

elephant.jpg

Ionia Klazomenai
    Ionia Klazomenai.jpg

Islamic, Anatolia & al-Jazira
    Islamic Anatolia & al-Jazira.jpg

Rhodes Rose
    Rhodes Top view rose.jpg

Rhodes Rose (early example)
    rhodesa.jpg rhodesb.jpg

Thessaly, Oitaioi
    Thessaly Oitaioi.jpg

Troas Sigeion AE20
    Troas Sigeion.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    vlaha, TIF, randygeki and 2 others like this.
  12. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Mumps!?!?! You're dating yourself Tif...

;)

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm only aware of such things from old history books :D

vlaha likes this.
  14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I don't believe anyone has yet posted a Gorgon from the Black Sea area:
    Gorgon Anchor Collage.jpg

Here is a Venician coin from 1275-1280 under the reign of the Doge Jacopo Contarini. The reverse depicts Jesus Christ on a throne. The obverse depicts Doge (Jacopo Contarini) together with the Venetian city’s Saint Mark.
    IMG_4535.jpg Copy of IMG_4533.jpg

vlaha, John Anthony and Bing like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

C89 => are those 3/4 facing?

... I'm just sayin'

Well, I guess my Istrus is pretty close to straight-on as well, eh?

;)

Draft saved Draft deleted