[ancients] Post your Hadrians...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Hadrian Sestertius Roma 119-23 AD Felicitas standing
    Reference.
    Strack 530 ; Banti 610; RIC II, 563b; C.1192; RIC, 244

Bust A4

Obv: IMP CAESAR TRAIANVS HADRIANVS AVG.
    Laureate bare bust with drapery

Rev: PONT MAX TR POT COS III; S C in field
    Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and cornucopia.

25.35 gr
    35 mm
    6h
    1581Hadrian RIC 244.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Okidoki

Hadrian Sestertius Roma 130-38 AD Hadrian standing vis-à-vis Judaea
    Reference.
    RIC 1769; Strack 755; Banti 37

Bust C2+

Obv. HADRIANVS COS III P P
    Bare head draped bust, viewed from side

Rev. ADVENTUI AVG IVDAEAE; S C in ex.
    Hadrian standing right, one hand raised in gesture of address and the other holding scroll: facing him is Italia standing left holding patera over altar placed in the centre, and also holding incense box. Two children stand by her feet. Victim bull at foot of altar

26.16 gr
    31 mm
    h

Note.
    Hadrian made a brief visit to Judaea circa AD 130, during his second great provincial tour of AD 129-132. Prior to his arrival, rumors spread among the Jews that he intended to rebuild Jerusalem and the great Temple, destroyed during the Jewish War of AD 66-73, so he was at first warmly welcomed. However, Hadrian decided to rebuild the city as the Roman veteran colony of Aelia Capitolina, with a temple to Jupiter replacing the one once dedicated to Jehovah. This ultimately sparked the bloody Bar Kokhba Revolt of AD 132-135, which devastated the province and darkened Hadrian's final years. The rare coinage issued to mark his visit, with the legend ADVENTVS AVG IVDAEA ("the Emperor Enters Judaea") depicts Hadrian being greeted by a female personification of the province and two children. Judaea was renamed Syria Palaestina in response to the Bar Kochba conflict, though precisely when this occurred is not known.

1619Hadrian RIC 1769.jpg

4. Okidoki

Hadrian Denarius Roma 119-23 AD Libertas
    Reference.
    RIC 373A.; Strack 75; RIC II, 128; BMC 290; C. 907.

Bust C2

Obv. IMP CAESAR TRAIAN-HADRIANVS AVG
    Laureate, draped, bust viewed from back

Rev. P M TR P COS-III LIB | PVB in field
    Libertas standing left, holding pileus and vindicta

3.36 gr
    20 mm
    6h
    1682Hadrian RIC 373A.jpg

5. Okidoki

Dear Coin friends,

All good things end, after nine years i decided to stop collecting Hadrian coins, and put them up for an auction, this summer with Leu Numismatik.
    With some pain i must admit, Job not done so to say. I really enjoyed collecting and sharing this with you all, here and mostly on Forum.

Web Auction 26 | Online
    https://leunumismatik.com/en/home

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Sorry to see this era end. I've always looked forward to you Hadrian posts. Good luck in future endeavors.

Carl Wilmont and Okidoki like this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Hadrian Denarius All.jpg

Denarius of Hadrian, Obverse: IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG, Laureate heroic bust with drapery. Translation: “Emperor Caesar Trajan Hadrian augustus” Reverse: AET AVG (in field) P M TR COS II Aeternitas holding the busts of the sun and the moon. Aeternitas (“AET”) was the Roman religious personification of eternity. She was particularly associated with the imperial cult that deified the emperor and emphasized stability and longevity for the regime that was in power. “AET AVG” = “Eternal Augustus” (emperor). Translation: “High priest, Tribune, Consul second year.” Sear 3458, Year 118 AD

8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Oh no..all of them??
    Very sad to see the end of such a mighty collection.

9. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your coins here, @Okidoki. Will you stop collecting coins entirely, or focussing your collection on something / someone else?

All the best, and I'll be following that Leu auction with great interest :)

Okidoki likes this.
  10. Okidoki

yes all, and thank you for the compliment all good thinks end, and new ways start

11. Okidoki

yes full stop, but no worries they will be part on other interesting collections

12. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Screenshot_20230331-190417_Chrome.jpg

I dunno if this thread is still really going, but here's my Hadrian tetradrachm from Egypt.
    I don't do a lot of ancients but this is one of my favorites.

13. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

I don't have very many Hadrian coins but this one is rather unique. It's a pair of Hadrian AE As RIC II, 573 (248) coins that have been melted together:

Info-2.jpg
    Reign:
    Hadrian
    Denomination: AE As
    Mint: Rome (119 – 120 AD)
    Obverse: IMP CAESAR TRAIANVS HADRIANVS AVG; Laureate bust right
    Reverse: PONT MAX TR POT COS III; Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and cornucopia
    Field: S C
    References: RIC II, 573 (248); Cohen 1193

Sample coin of RIC II, 573 (248)
    Hadrian.jpg

Ancient Aussie, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted