Ancients => Post your Favourite coin and *Favourite tune*

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Mar 22, 2014.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@akeady, for some reason, I'm kind of stuck on this thread for this minute. You nailed it with a mallet: "pop punk brilliance." --What most bands in the US did instead was to segue from punk (--the best from here was more more political; Dead Kennedys and DUI) to that detestable thing they called 'New Wave.' (Punk, as translated into American English, for the benefit of the Reagan administration.) Thank you, this is a totally different vibe; it's very pop, but without going completely off the rails, relative to the original genre.
    And, Yep, your coin is fantastic, too.
    ....Right, this needs doing. A coissue of the German emperor Heinrich VI (1199-1197) and his queen, Costanza, the heiress of Sicily. Plese note the reverse legend, "C. IMPERATRIX."
    COINS, ITALY, MESSINA, H.VI, COSTANZA WITH EAGLE 2.JPG
    ...And because I'm needing some Serious, Live-[expl.] Punk for this minute, there Has to be this. ...Sitting out the political connotations, for this minute. I have some real affection for the reigning one. Which I'd rather hang on to.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    sand, ancientone, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Eric Burden was firmly entrenched in Rock and roll lore while still a teenager. Oh, and he had Hendrix later manager playing bass.
    Written by an unknown teenage prostitute ironically:

Screenshot_20210926-155100_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    Philip III Arrhidaios.
    323-317 BC. Æ Half Unit (16mm, 6.49 g, 3h). Sardes mint. Struck under Menander or Kleitos (the white), circa 322-319/8 BC. Macedonian shield, kerykeion on boss / Macedonian helmet; B A across upper field, rose to lower left, kerykeion to lower right, TI below. Price 2614; Klein 130 VF. Purchased from Savoca Sept 2021

sand, ancientone, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

...Right, only since I still can't shut up, there's this, posted not long ago.
    Francia, Hugues Capet, 987-996. Denier, coissued with Herve, bishop of Beauvais.
    COINS, FRANCE, HUGUES HUGH CAPET, BEAUVAIS, OBV.jpg
    COINS, FRANCE, HUGUES HUGH CAPET, BEAUVAIS, REV.jpg
    Obv. (from 11 o'clock): HERVEVS HVGO REX (The bishop, followed by Hugues.)
    Rev. (weirdly, as above): degraded Carolingian monogram. BELVACVS CIVITAS.

One thing I need about this is the way that it illustrates just how tenuous Capetian rule was at this point. With more than one comital family of Carolingian descent in the immediate neighborhood, the political future of the dynasty was hanging by a thread. The mere fact that this is an episcopal coissue, the first of the reign that Duplessy bothers to list (Royales 1999, No. 1), gives the combined dynamics the emphasis they deserve.
    Right. So the song. Me am thinking this kind of that kind of thing. What's me said.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, maybe @Bing is on the lam ! :)

+VGO.DVCKS and ominus1 like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here's its titular counterpart!

Speaking of bad girls ... here's Lysimachos's wife, Arsinoe II. She was the daughter of Ptolemy I and Berenice. Lysimachos divorced Amastris to marry her and then bequeathed to her all the territories that had belonged to Amastris! She then brought about the murder of her stepson, Agathocles, the elder son of Lysimachus by his first marriage, to secure the succession for her own children!

In her honor, Lysimachos renamed the city of Ephesus to Arsinoeia! This was struck there.

[​IMG]
    Arsinoe II, wife of Lysimachus, born c. 316 BC.
    Greek Æ 15.5 mm, 4.16 g, 12 h.
    Ionia, Ephesos (as Arsinoeia), c. 290-281 BC.
    Obv: Head of Arsinoe, r., veiled.
    Rev: Stag kneeling l., head r.; ΑΡ-ΣΙ flanking stag's neck; magistrate's name ΜΕΛΑΙΝΕΥΣ before; Astragalus in upper r. field.
    Refs: BMC 14.56, 72 var. (magistrate); SNG Cop 258-59 var. (magistrate); Forrer 14.

Alegandron, ancientone, Ryro and 4 others like this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

><..or maybe he didnt like the show...:D
    ...ah...something for (purdy much) everyone! ^^

8. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

J.J. Grey is the Man.

Mytilene.jpg
    Lesbos, Mytilene. Antoninus Pius AE18
    Obv: ΑVΤ ΑΙ ΑΔΡΙΑ ΑΝΤΩΝƐΙΝ[ΟС?] / Laureate head of Antoninus Pius, r.
    Rev: ΜVΤΙΛΗΝΑΙΩΝ / female figure (Aphrodite?) standing, facing, head, l., holding patera and transverse sceptre.
    RPC IV, 2627

Alegandron, Bing, +VGO.DVCKS and 2 others like this.
  9. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I've seen Tindersticks four times - the first time in the 1990s when I won a competition for two tickets from a radio station I'd never listened to - someone told me the answer, so I entered and got a call back. Funnily enough the other guy won as well and we were maybe the only two people who entered the competition. The question was "Who is the lead singer of Tindersticks?" The answer, of course, is Stuart Staples.

In all, I've seen Tindersticks four times - once in Cork and three times in Dublin. I hadn't listened them in ages until getting stuck in YouTube tonight :)

Looking at their Wikipedia entry now, I see that I've missed their last two albums, so must get them and catch their 2022 tour.

Their earlier stuff was dreamy - two albums called Tindersticks, then Curtains and a great live album (Live at the Bloomsbury Theatre).

Here's a duet with Isabella Rossellini :D

Their later stuff is different, equally great.

Anyway, I got to a coin show last month - Coinex - and picked up a few coins and books :) Here's one of them - a few scrapes and graffiti and even some wax on the obverse, but a decent coin.

Moneyer: Mn. Fonteius
    Coin: Silver Denarius
    Obv.: Jugate, laureate heads of Dioscuri right; below chins, *
    Rev.: MN·FONTEI - Ship right; below, control mark (D); above and in front, three dots
    Mint: Rome (108 or 107 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 3.96g / 20mm / -
    References:
    • RSC 8 (Fonteia)
    • Sydenham 566b
    • Crawford 307/1d
    Acquisition: Baldwin's Coinex 2021, London 25-Sep-2021

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

10. Roman Collector

That's a lovely denarius, @akeady! Beautiful old toning! I would like to add an example of that coin to my collection someday.

I had never heard of the Tindersticks, either, so thanks for sharing those videos.

akeady likes this.
  11. +VGO.DVCKS

Have to second @Roman Collector. The prow on that galley is a little masterpiece of depictive economy, and scarier than anything I remember from watching the Taylor /Burton movie, when I was still that low to the ground.

akeady likes this.
  12. Roman Collector

Has there ever been a better time to listen to this cringe-worthy classic?!

And to keep in numismatic, here's the moon and stars:

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman Æ as or dupondius, 13.77 g, 28.1 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, AD 140.
    Obv: DIVA AVGVSTA-FAVSTINA, veiled bust, right.
    Rev: S C, crescent and seven stars.
    Refs: RIC 1199b; BMC 1478; Cohen 276; Strack 1249; RCV --.
    Notes: Ex Walter Neussel, Peus E-Auction 420, lot 5290, 18 Nov 2017, acquired October 1959, Maison Platt, Paris.

13. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I'm glad he's finally making it to space - the less said about his singing the better!

Nice coin! - I've got something similar :D
    [​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

14. Roman Collector

From The Pink Floyd Exhibition: Their Mortal Remains.

20211016_110804.jpg

20211016_140033.jpg

15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

killer!..i gotta go hear it now..:D (HA!...ain't gotta go far do i?! :cool:)..i remeber the 1st time i heard this standing up behind the front seat of my parents '69 Ford going down the hill at night(for some reason)..am radio faded out but the tune stuck with me)

16. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

This is my favorite of the ancient coins I own. It may not be my most expensive but it is the one I like the most and enjoy having the most.

09583945-1F1D-4747-BB6C-5B21EBB5E6FC.jpeg
    895CFADE-6E59-4E20-9CDB-4B68D49086E5.jpeg
    Roman Republic. Anonymous. Ca. 225-214/2 BC. AR didrachm or quadrigatus (23mm, 6.64 gm, 7h). NGC AU 5/5 - 3/5, overstruck. Uncertain mint. Laureate head of youthful Janus, two small annulets on top of head / Jupiter, hurling thunderbolt with right hand, scepter in left, in fast quadriga right driven by Victory; ROMA incuse on raised tablet below. Crawford 29/3. Sydenham 64.

17. Roman Collector

Gotta post a tune, @Gam3rBlake!

+VGO.DVCKS and akeady like this.
  18. Gam3rBlake

What do you mean?

19. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Look at the title of the thread or a few of the previous 1300 or so posts in it!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  20. Gam3rBlake

I’ve seen them all. I just don’t know how to attach music to a post so I left it out. I can put a YouTube link if people want me too.

21. +VGO.DVCKS

Powerful, @Roman Collector. One of those times when the video (which, Promise, I'd never seen) really carries the music forward ...as if it needed help.
    Here's my John cut halfpenny, class 5b, Adam on Lunde. COINS, ENGLAND, JOHN, CUT HALF, ADAM ON LVNDE.JPG
    Followed by a track from the only Bob Marley album you really need to sustain (morally) intelligent life. ...But I exaggerate.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted