Ancients => Post your Favourite coin and *Favourite tune*

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Raymond Houser

Raymond Houser Active Member

Can't choose just one. For years I've been looking for a coin of Cleopatra VII with as pleasing portrait as this one. Have yet to find it. For the the music, Handel - " Julius Caesar" - Glynbourne production with Danielle de Niese as Cleopatra. Enjoy.

Cleopatra VII c.44 bc.jpg

paschka, ominus1, Alegandron and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Wow. People have really been raising the bar on the music lately ...not to mention some memorable coins, aspirationally or not! Here's an anonymous obole of the seigneurie of Issoudun (in Berry, a notoriously disorganized region just south of the county of Blois), c. 1044-1093. Duplessy 704. The legends are so blundered that you're really not missing much if I leave 'em out.
    COINS, FRANCE, ISSOUDUN, OBOLE 11TH C..JPG
    And here's a reading of a favorite short piece of Francois Couperin that I just rediscovered on YouTube. I especially like how the harpsichord is tuned to something within range of contemporary pitch, so that you get the kind of bass that the instrument was always supposed to have. ...Music for Chilling to.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

How about a little Christone "Kingfish" Ingram in honor of a long-distance woman?

Faustina Sr CONCORDIA AVG seated denarius Album.jpg

Ryro, Voldemort, ominus1 and 7 others like this.
  5. +VGO.DVCKS

A sweet coin and some serious music, @Roman Collector. Had to make me wish that one of Kingfisher's mentors could have been this guy, who, for me, will always be the Zen master of the genre. ...Right, vaguely along the lines of being the Yoda to Kingfisher's Luke Skywalker. What John Lee Hooker did do, over the early '70's, was to set up a kind of ongoing, informal graduate seminar for blues rockers. In that capacity alone, he did Good Work. (Please note the sign at the front of the bus: "No Dancin'." ...And Wait for that one note where he does a kind of 'chord dump,' like you could do by hitting that many keys on a piano.)

...And, for pretext --Thanks, @Raymond Houser-- here's this.
    https://coinweek.com/ancient-coins/bee-all-that-you-can-bee-honeybees-on-ancient-coins/

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    ancientone, Ryro, ominus1 and 3 others like this.
  6. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

This thread hasn't had anything by The Undertones :eek: To remedy that, Teenage Kicks - two and a half minutes of pop punk brilliance:

I posted this in a different thread a few months ago, but here it goes again - I just scrolled back over arrivals in the last few months and it stood out.

Denarius of L. Livineius Regulus
    Obv.: REGVLVS·PR. - Head of Regulus right
    Rev.: L·LIVINEIVS - Curule chair; on either side, three fasces
    Exergue: REGVLVS
    Mint: Rome (ca. 42 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 3.69g / 18mm / -
    References:
    • RSC 10 (Livineia)
    • Sydenham 1109
    • Crawford 494/27
    • HCRI 176
    • Banti 5/6 (this coin)
    Provenances:
    • Ex. Leo Benz Collection
    • Ex. CNG 166, 2007 lot 150
    • Ex. Lanz 100, 2000, 435
    • Ex. J. Martini Collection (Ratto 23, Feb. 1930, lot 745)
    Acquisition: Naville Numismatics Online auction NN Live 64 #467 21-Mar-2021

[​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

Ryro, Voldemort, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  7. Raymond Houser

Just so you don't think Handel was the only composer who wrote on historical themes, here' an excerpt from Claudio Monteverde's (1567-1643) opera, "The Coronation of Poppaea". Sung by Hana Blazikova as Poppaea and Justin Kim (counter tenor) as Nero. Enjoy.

The coin is a tetradrachm from Alexandria with Nero and Poppaea in much better condition than mine.

Nero coin with Poppaea.jpg Poppaea coin.jpg

Ryro, ominus1, Curtisimo and 4 others like this.
  8. Raymond Houser

Sorry the previous music selection would not transfer. Here is another performance with Philippe Jaroussky (counter tenor) as Nero and Danielle De Niese as Poppaea.

9. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

A rare alliance coin commemorating the harmony of Phrygia, Hierapolis with Ephesus, Ionia. Assigned to the time of Valerian/Gallienus.
    c4.jpg
    Phrygia, Hierapolis in alliance with Ephesus. AE22 Pseudo-autonomous. Boule/Men.

Obv: IEPAPOLEITWN K EFECIWN, Veiled bust of Boule r.
    Rev: NEWKOPWN OMON(OIA), Men in Phrygian cap standing r., head l., r. foot on bull's skull, holding pine cone and scepter.
    BMC 187, pl. 52.5 and SNG Copenhagen 470, but seems to be from new dies on both sides.

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Alright, here's some no-nonsense, old-time blues.

And some old-time cabinet toning.

Marcus Aurelius COS III PP Annona denarius.jpg

Theodosius, Ryro, Voldemort and 8 others like this.
  11. +VGO.DVCKS

Brilliant follow-up, @Roman Collector. I never heard of Scrapper Blackwell, but am seriously needing all those flats he does on an accoustic guitar --never mind how he knows that you already know the song, to the point of not having to finish the rhyme at the end of the verse.
    From there, it was an easy transition from this, a clipped and worn denier of Raoul, King of Francia 923-936, Orleans /''AVRELANIS CIVITA[...]" mint (Depeyrot 2008, #733; bought on Delcampe, unattributed as the driven snow, --or it wouldn't have happened)
    COINS, CAROLINGIAN, ROBERTIAN,  RAOUL, RODOLPHE, RUDOLPH, ORLEANS.jpg
    to this, my favorite reading of another song by Billie Holiday (who, thank you, covered "Nobody Knows You," another several times). From a record that my mom bought, and that I grew up with. ...Not the best metaphor for coin collecting, but, No, they can't take that away from me, either.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  12. ancientone

elis3~0.jpg
    Elis, Olympia. 131st-135th Olympiad. 256-240 BC. Fouree Hemidrachm
    Obv: Laureate head of Zeus right.
    Rev: Thunderbolt within olive wreath.
    AR(fourre) Hemidrachm

ominus1, Alegandron, akeady and 4 others like this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

upload_2021-10-8_16-44-44.png
    Makedon
    Philip V
    AE17 3.7g
    221-179 BCE
    Perseus Hd R helmet w winged vulture -
    Horse rearing R
    SNG Cop 1239

Ryro, ancientone, +VGO.DVCKS and 6 others like this.
  14. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..this would be for the Becker coins i just got ..coins that you've dreamed about(and there are several) for many years but had doubts about ever owning not to mention my 1st auctionhouse bid/buy :) song for Beckers.jpg IMG_0736.JPG IMG_0737.JPG

Ryro, ancientone, +VGO.DVCKS and 5 others like this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

+VGO.DVCKS and ominus1 like this.
  16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

This song has been rumbling around in my head for weeks:

Marcus Antonius  2.jpg

Alegandron, Ryro, ancientone and 5 others like this.
  17. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...ALL SUSPECTS ARE PRESUMED INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW...^^(reminds me of the show "COPS" :))

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Alegandron and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  18. +VGO.DVCKS

...There's somebody on YouTube who posts all kinds of '70's reggae with that same picture of, and attribution to, Bob Marley. Without checking, I'm pretty sure that's the band, Culture. And Yes, it Was used for the theme to "Cops." ...A little like what The Roots (arguably the greatest Hip-Hop band of all time) did; they became the house band for whichever late-night talk show it is ...and, as far as albums are concerned, were never heard from again. Their gain was our profound, communal cultural loss.

...Very cool Beckers, @ominus1. It's fun how, sometimes, Becker couldn't stop himself from (big fat air quotes: ) "improving" on the original style.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Alegandron and ominus1 like this.
  19. ancientone

b~4.jpg
    Pontus, Amisos. Æ20. Tyche/Eagle
    Obv: ΑΜΙϹΟϹ / Head of Tyche r.
    Rev: ΑΜΙϹΟΥ ƐΛƐΥΘƐΡΑϹ / Eagle standing r., wings open, head l.
    Time of Maximinus 235-238AD.

20. +VGO.DVCKS

@ancientone, I rrrReally Need this tune, and the band, who I Never heard of, and just Wiki'd. A revelation. If people can still make music that sounds like this, maybe there's hope for all of us.
    ...Liking the coin a lot, too. The very first 'Greek' coin I ever got, as a kid, was an AE from Mithradates (from memory...wish you could stop me in time) IV, when the Roman Republic was still in the process of 'cleaning up' Asia Minor. ...Thank you, around a quarter-millennium earlier than your example. For yours truly, Roman provincials as late as this (versus Julio-Claudian and Antonine --besides Alexandrian tets, that is) still have plenty of novelty value. Really an education to see what happened, just stylistically, in the interval. ...From a kingdom to a backwater province. How are the mighty fallen.

ancientone likes this.
  21. +VGO.DVCKS

Here's a trachy of Frankish /Latin Constantinople that, well, I just liked, and the price was right. People have been posting brilliant stuff about the series, just lately, including the eminently plausible hypothesis that some of it (ostensibly running to the later phases) includes Bulgarian imitations. ...I, for one, am going to have to go looking for it again! FRANKISH BYZANTINE, LATIN CONSTANTINOPLE, TRACHY, NAUMANN OCT. 2021.jpg
    And, just because it was that long since I've heard it, there's this.

Draft saved Draft deleted