Ancients => Post your Favourite coin and *Favourite tune*

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

If she were wearing a STEPHANE, she would be perfect for you! :D

+VGO.DVCKS and Roman Collector like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Here's Keeley - "psychedelic dream rockers" according to Bandcamp.

The frontwoman was formerly in The Session Motts and has more recently recorded a lot of covers of everyone from Neil Young and The Beatles to Pink Floyd and The Smiths:

And she's a Microdisney fan!

Here's a recent arrival - bought it in September but waited a long time for it to arrive from Italy - "Worth waiting for!", I'm sure John Mills would have said.

Moneyer: L. Cornelius Lentulus
    Obv.: L·LENT·C·MARC COS - Head of Apollo right
    Rev.: Q - Jupiter standing facing, holding thunderbolt in right hand and eagle in left hand; on left, star; on right, altar decorated with garland
    Mint: Illyrium (49 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 4.09g / - / -
    References:
    • RSC 65 (Cornelia)
    • Sydenham 1030
    • Crawford 445/2
    • HCRI 5
    • RBW 1563
    Provenances:
    • Ex. NAC 52, October 2009, lot 264
    Acquisition: Varesi Online auction #169 20-Sep-2020

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

ominus1, svessien, Andres2 and 8 others like this.
  4. Aestimare

Aestimare Active Member

Favourite ? Not really. Nor for the tune than the coin. Many of my coins are my favourites, but this one wears the colours in line with Stephen Malinowski’s creative work. And artistically, this is the best of mines.
    upload_2021-6-4_0-1-20.jpeg
    Full screen, no lights, muscles released, especially the ones of your face. :)
    Slow and deep breathing.
    Debussy, Prelude to 'The Afternoon of a Faun'

Hope you will appreciate.

5. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I've been trapped in YouTube tonight, but stuck with Kim Wilde wouldn't be so bad, ahhh the 80s... :)

I started @ a recent Cathal Coughlan effort:

Anyway, here's a coin I like - it's not well struck, but otherwise very nice:

Anonymous denarius
    Obv.: X - Helmeted head of Roma right
    Rev.: Dioscuri galloping right
    Exergue: ROMA
    Mint: Rome (After 211 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 4.43g / 19mm / 6h
    References:
    • RSC 2 (Anon)
    • Sydenham 229
    • Crawford 53/2
    Acquisition: Triskeles Auctions Vauctions Triskeles 26 #555 7-Dec-2018
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

svessien, Andres2, zumbly and 6 others like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I've had this earworm all day!

And I've been excited about this new purchase.

C Caecilius Metellus Caprarius Elephant Biga denarius.jpg

svessien, Voldemort, zumbly and 6 others like this.
  7. Roman Collector

Today's earworm. Level 42 of all groups! :wideyed:

There is something about Faustina, though ...

Faustina Jr LAETITIA S C standing left sestertius diademed.jpg

Voldemort, svessien, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  8. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

"We Need" Telefís - a new collaboration of Cathal Coughlan and Jacknife Lee.

Here's a coin I like.

Obv.: Biga to left, charioteer crowned by Nike flying to right; marine monster (Ketos) in exergue
    Rev.: ΣΥΡΑΚ-ΟΣΙ-ΟΝ - Head of Arethusa right, hair tied up in a hairnet, surrounded by 4 dolphins
    Mint: Syracuse (ca. 450 - 440 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 16.76g / - / -
    References:
    • Boehringer 604 (same dies)
    • SNG ANS 199
    Provenances:
    • Ex. Seaby, London, July 1948
    • Ex. Hess-Leu list 4, 1956
    Acquisition: Jean Elsen & ses Fils Online auction Auction 146 #342 12-Dec-2020

[​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

9. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Cool tunes and cool coins. What else is there?

amorion.jpg
    Phrygia, Amorium. Apollo/Demeter Æ26
    Obv: ΑΜΟΡΙΑΝΩΝ, head of Apollo, r.; to r., lyre.
    Rev: ƐΠΙ ϹƐΡΤΟΡΟϹ ΑΝΤΩΝΙΟV, veiled Demeter standing, l., holding poppy, ears of corn and long torch.
    Reign Antoninus Pius.
    Magistrate Sertor. Antonios (without title).
    RPC 1706 (temporary)

10. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

This thread needs Rory Gallagher - here's a coin-related one, Bad Penny.

And another - Shadow Play.

Right - here's a recent arrival, which isn't a bad penny at all.

Mark Antony quinarius.

Obv.: M ANT IMP - Lituus, jug and raven
    Rev.: Victory crowning trophy
    Mint: Transalpine Gaul (43 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 1.76g / - / -
    References:
    • RSC 7 (Antonia)
    • Sydenham 1159
    • Crawford 489/4
    • HCRI 121
    • RBW 1711
    Provenances:
    • Ex. Leu Sale 17, 1977, lot 780
    • E.P. Nicolas Collection
    Acquisition: Numismatica Ars Classica Online auction Spring Sale 2021 #1114 10-May-2021

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

11. Roman Collector

I've had this denarius of Faustina II for many years, which features her with the "four rows wave pattern" hairstyle (Beckmann type 9; p. 91) ...

[​IMG]
    Faustina II, AD 147-175.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.40 g, 17.4 mm, 5 h.
    Rome, c. AD 166.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bust of Faustina II, draped, right.
    Rev: HILARITAS, Hilaritas standing left, holding long palm-branch in right hand and cornucopia in left hand.
    Refs: RIC 686; BMCRE 100; RSC 111; RCV 5254; CRE 182.

But recently acquired this one, featuring her "strong brow wave" with a string of pearls coiffure (Beckmann type 7; p. 90).

Faustina Jr HILARITAS denarius pearls.jpg
    Faustina II, AD 147-175.
    Roman AR denarius, 2.89 g, 17 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, c. AD 166.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bust of Faustina II, draped, right, wearing strand of pearls.
    Rev: HILARITAS, Hilaritas standing left, holding long palm-branch in right hand and cornucopia in left hand.
    Refs: RIC 686; BMCRE 101-102; RSC 111a; RCV 5254; CRE 182.

And since she has a string of pearls, it reminds me of this tune (long a favorite, too!):

12. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Just rediscovered the pic of this; Gallienus, corresponding to Sear (oops, 1974 ed.) 2861, citing RIC 18 (J).
    Gallienus, ant., Germania.jpg
    I bought it from the same dealer (on Delcampe) who afforded me a serious deal on an unattributed French feudal. I don't do this period as much as I did when I was a kid, and it was all that was locally available. But I like the silvering and relief, both suggesting an early interval in the reign.
    Since it refers to victory over the Germanic tribes, I wanted something martial-sounding, and German. The opening of this symphony has long reminded me of the beginning of Hendrix's "Machine Gun," live on the Band of Gypsys [sic] album --Nope, Not on YouTube. ...Wish I could find Walter's later reading, probably recorded in the States, where the tympany really (no pun intended) pops.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  13. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

How about some quadriga music, courtesy of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, the third movement of his sixth symphony, and a coin?

D-Camera Syracuse tetradrachm Agathokles reshoot 317-310BC 17.0g  Berk 4-8-21.jpg

14. robinjojo

Here's one more pairing. This actually might have been done before.

D-Camera Vespasian Ses.AD71 RIC II.1 244; BMCRE 564 corr (Roma lft). 25.16g Roma 85 1618 7-18-21.jpg

The Pines of Rome, Respighi, final movement, The Appian Way.

This tone poem invokes images of various parts of Rome and the famous pine trees. This last movement is dedicated to The Appian Way and its history of Rome's legions marching down its way in celebration of her conquests. This work was composed in 1924, following the raise of Mussolini, and Italian Fascism, hence the very imperialistic and militaristic theme of the final movement.

ancientone, Bing, +VGO.DVCKS and 3 others like this.
  15. svessien

svessien Senior Member

The band that has given me most pure musical joy is Grateful Dead. I find the tunes full of life and fun, and paired with the more ambitious lyrics of Mr. Hunter it’s dynamite for me.
    Listening to Dead live rates from tedious to magical. As a guitar player myself, I found that listening to all the errors and screwups of Jerry Garcia made me less afraid of screwing up myself. And that again made me a better musician.

It’s not Scarlet Begonias that are tucked inside the hair of Bacchus on this coin, but ivy leaf, though.
    Ionia Phokaia stater.JPG

ancientone, Voldemort, Bing and 5 others like this.
  16. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Plebian post.

plebs.jpg
    Plebian show.

Plebian song.

c2.jpg Plebian coin.

paschka, ominus1, akeady and 3 others like this.
  17. robinjojo

Yesterday was kind of a tough day for me. I locked myself out of the house. I was wearing my pajamas, checking for a possible mail delivery when the front door closed with a definitive click . I forgot to release the lock from the inside, so I was stuck. All the other doors and windows were locked. I ended up breaking a window in the bedroom. Climbing through it was tough, with a fairly narrow opening, especially for a soon to be 70-year-old. I got half of myself through, but was stuck on the carpet with broken glass around me and my right leg stuck on the edge of the window frame. I thought I was going to be stuck there until they found my body, but I was able to free the leg . I don't recommend this as a recreational activity. I was able to get the screen and window replaced the same day, fortunately, so I hope I remember this lesson about the front door lock, but I probably won't.

What it this all leading up to? I just get a little introspective after these episodes, so today I thought I'd try to match up a couple of my coins, obverse side, with music, that of Chopin.

This is one diversion that will keep me from remembering my total stupidity.

D-Camera Syracuse tet Agatholkes, Obverse image only, 9-14-21.jpg

D-Camera Kimmerian Bosporos AE 27 Pan Obverse image only 9-14-21.jpg

18. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Condolences, @robinjojo; hope nothing even like that ever happens again. --But Wait! There's More! Fantastic coins and equally fantastic music. Personally, I don't know of anyone better for Chopin than Pollini.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    ancientone and robinjojo like this.
  19. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Crystal Blue Persuasian.

I have two rather blue coins that are pretty cool!
    Antoninus Pius RIC 1083.JPG
    Septimius Severus AE28 BMC Caesarea 243.JPG

paschka, +VGO.DVCKS, Bing and 2 others like this.
  20. Roman Collector

THIS postal accident was heartbreaking!

Trebonianus Gallus LIBERTAS PVBLICA antoninianus pulverized.jpg

21. Raymond Houser

Raymond Houser Active Member

Aureus of Aurelian.jpg Here's one of my favorites. An aureus of Aurelian with a lion from the Chicago Art Institute. Gotta love those cats. For the music, here is the complete opera by Rossini, Aurelian in Palmyra, with sub titles. Enjoy.

Aureus of Aurelian.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted