Ancients => Post your Favourite coin and *Favourite tune*

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Mar 22, 2014.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

One of the great joys of life is having a dog or a cat, but one of the great heartbreaks is when it is time to say goodbye. I've been down that road a few times myself.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

upload_2021-1-2_12-17-36.png

Postumus (260-269 A.D.)

Billon Antoninianus

Colonia Agrippina (Cologne, Germany) mint, (ca. 260-61 A.D.)

Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped &cuirassed bust of Postumus right

Rev: IOVI VICTORI, Jupiter walking right, hurling a thunderbolt

RIC 311

zumbly, Curtisimo, +VGO.DVCKS and 4 others like this.
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I’m very sad for you, my friend. You posted about Blue enough I almost felt like I knew him. Rest In Peace Blue.

Alegandron likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you, Curtiss. It is still tough. She was incredible.

6. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

...Time to come clean, @Alegandron. I've been putting this off, since, um, I had a dog, and these days grief is just kind of an ongoing thing. Serious condolences on your loss. Dogs are serious.
    Some unsolicitated, never mind lamely obvious advice: don't even try to lose the grief. It's integral to what you still have.
    (...Sampson. Poodle and Springer Spaniel --Really-- but All Dog.)

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Alegandron

As yours, mine will never be forgotten.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Sorry buddy about Blue. I had to put my last dog down over 20 years ago, and I still miss her. When I did, I cried like a baby every time I thought of her. I still get sad, but I'm also happy when I think of some of the crazy and smart things she would do to please me.
    Crying Man.jpg

+VGO.DVCKS and Alegandron like this.
  9. Alegandron

Thank you... I remember you telling me how important she is to you. Blue is same... so many tears. She has been through a LOT with me. And she seemed so connected. It is tough on me...

+VGO.DVCKS and Bing like this.
  10. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Wahoo - 2021 is shaping up to be a great year for music - after a 10 year hiatus in new music, Cathal Coughlan has released a single, with an album to come in March!

Here's the "Song of Co-Aklan":

I think I posted this already as my favourite coin - and it still is, here with a better photo'. If my house caught fire, I'd run back to rescue Arethusa :D I got her out of its usual home in a safety deposit box recently to take a few photos.

Obv. Quadriga l., charioteer crowned by Nike flying right
    Rev. ΣΥΡΑ... - Arethusa left, 4 dolphins around
    References:
    • Tudeer 82
    • SNG ANS 290
    Acquisition: Spink, London Coin Fair 10-Nov-2007

SyracuseTet.JPG

11. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

A second track has been released by Mr Coughlan :D I'm looking forward to the new album...

This Larissa drachm has long been a favourite of mine.

Obv.: Head of nymph Larissa three-quarter face to left, wearing necklace; hair confined by fillet and floating loosely, with ampyx in front.
    Rev.: ΛΑΡΙΣ / ΑΙΩΝ - Horse about to roll over right, left forefoot raised
    Mint: (ca 350-325)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 6.00g / - / 0h
    References:
    • SG 2120
    • Lorber, phase L-II
    • SNG Cop. 121
    Acquisition: Mark Rasmussen Irish International Coin Fair 27-Feb-2010

LarissaDrachm.jpg

ATB,
    Aidan.

12. +VGO.DVCKS

Here's one of my Andalusian Almoravid quirats (Little Bitty fractions of dirhams, in good silver; c. late 11th -mid 12th centuries CE). I scooped up some of these a decade or so ago, mostly from Spanish ebay, when it still felt as if you were getting in on the ground floor with the series. This is of Ali ibn yusuf, with his heir Tashfin, AH 533-537 / 1139- 1143 CE. (Vives 1827, Hazard 1004.) ANDALUSIA, QIRAT, .jpg
    It's been several, less than uneventful years since I've gotten back to them (...along with a lot of the collection), and I'm Waaaay behind in documenting these. (As in, other than by hand, using real ink on real paper. Which did happen.) But during the initial process, this website was invaluable for attributing the whole series.
    http://www.andalustonegawa.50g.com/almoravids_silver.htm
    As hopeless as I am with reading Arabic, even on the level of transliteration (despite its being a Semitic alphabet --what am I saying? I can't read Hebrew, Phoenician, or Ge'ez /Amharic either), the net experience has to evoke Al Green. ...Who, after all, had Black Pentecostalism as part of his background. It's kind of like, where language as a medium is concerned, even in the context of coin legends, there's a place where you're invited to 'suspend disbelief' (Aristotle), whether on an esthetic or a spiritual level. ...Never mind the inexorable layers of overlap between the two. ...Right, 'Sha la la la la la,' and so forth.

...Was it Valentine's Day Eve, or something? You decide....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    akeady likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Thank you, @robinjojo ... it is a month and a half, hence, and I am still profoundly affected. She actually saved my life a couple times. Unbelievably empathic. I helped buy a service dog for my Type 1 Diabetic Grandson, but I observed Blue, untrained, a much more empathic Soul. I have had many dogs, yes cats, and a myriad of other animals throughout my life. Blue was much more. A true Companion.

Thank you for letting me let this out. Your post was very kind, and it was refreshing to read it again. Thank you.

14. +VGO.DVCKS

@Alegandron, just lately, a friend's dog died. --Yes, when Blue did, I was paying attention. Are you okay with me paying tribute to 'my' (really the family) dog?
    Sampson [sic] O'Reilly [ditto]. My sister got him right from the litter, vaguely on either side of 1970. He was Poodle and Springer Spaniel, but All Dog.
    ...And, Yep, he showed me what a 'Good Dog' looks like. Beyond the formulaic rhetoric, to the reality. I'm not done missing him. And have no intention of doing so.

Alegandron likes this.
  15. Alegandron

Do you have pics?

16. +VGO.DVCKS

..Sorry, no. I don't have pics of very much. Including the older two thirds of the extant collection.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Roman Collector and Alegandron like this.
  17. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Here's a recent acquisition and a new release.

Obv.: CAESAR - Bare head of Augustus right
    Rev.: AVGVSTVS - Bull standing right
    Mint: Samos or Pergamum (21-20 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 3.60g / 21mm / 1h
    References:
    • RSC 28
    • RIC 475
    • BMCRE 663
    Provenances:
    • Ex. Tauler & Fau
    Acquisition/Sale: Roma Numismatics Online auction E-Sale 81 #1019 25-Feb-2021

[​IMG]

The third single from Cathal this year - "The Knockout Artist"

ATB,
    Aidan.

zumbly, +VGO.DVCKS, Choucas and 2 others like this.
  18. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.” ____ Mark Twain.

19. +VGO.DVCKS

For an agnostic, he was a heck of a theologian....

20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Iron Maiden's Alexander the Great, translated and sung in ancient Greek!

Alexander III - Tetradrachm Price 245.jpg
    MACEDONIAN KINGDOM. Alexander III the Great
    AR Tetradrachm. 17.4g, 31.9mm x 25.5mm. Pella mint, late lifetime or early posthumous issue, circa 325-315 BC. Price 245. O: Head of Herakles to right, wearing lion skin headdress. R: AΛEΞAN∆POY, Zeus seated left on low throne, holding long scepter in his left hand and, in his right, eagle with closed wings; club in left field.

paschka, akeady, Bing and 4 others like this.
  21. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

My new favorite tune! Synth-pop for the win!

And I've been grooving on this rare diademed-bust version of this denarius:

Faustina Jr IVNO denarius diademed.jpg

spirityoda, Voldemort, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted