Ancients => Post your Favourite coin and *Favourite tune*

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Mar 22, 2014.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Only a month to go to Microdisney day :D

This is the latest coin I've received - Augustus denarius, RIC 82b, probably minted in Tarraco or other Spanish mint around 19BC.

[​IMG]

And another Microdisney moment, probably the first recording in 30 years - Sean & Cathal doing a pared-down version of Dolly:

dlhill132, Curtisimo, Bing and 2 others like this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

The wild boys of the late 2nd Century taking their show on the road on their way to kick some Parthian butt.

85602q00 (1).jpg ma_vot_sest_6.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

upload_2018-5-9_7-53-36.png
    Laelianus, AD 269
    AE Antoninianus, 19mm, 3.4g, 6h; Moguntiacum mint.
    Obv.: IMP C LAELIANVS PF AVG; Radiate, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: VICTORIA AVG; Victory advancing right.
    Reference: RIC Vb 9, p. 373

With a little help from @John Anthony

ominus1, RAGNAROK, dlhill132 and 3 others like this.
  6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My coin auction psych up soundtrack...

But, thanks to the coin below, I don't actually have money to buy any more coins right now :stop:.

Lokris Opuntii Stater.jpg

Curtisimo, ominus1, Nathan401 and 8 others like this.
  8. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

No, I don't have a crush on Manlia Scantilla, but I sure LOVE this sestertius!

Manlia Scantilla IVNO REGINA sestertius.jpg

Curtisimo, ominus1, RAGNAROK and 6 others like this.
  10. Alegandron

Roman As cut in Half to make a Semis... Or a Half-As... Thanks @Ken Dorney !
    I always told folks not to do any job this way!
    upload_2018-5-13_13-5-2.png
    RI Augustus 27 BCE-14CE AE As or Semis Spain Celsa Mint 29mm 5.0g Laureate Augustus - Bull RPC271 Cut in ancient times to make change
    upload_2018-5-13_13-7-54.png

11. kolyan760

kolyan760 Well-Known Member

SORRRY BUD THEY ALL LOOK FAKE TO ME

12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

???

The three coins Chris showed? In what way do they look fake to you? I see nothing worrisome.

zumbly, Andres2 and Alegandron like this.
  13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

No need to yell, we can hear you just fine.

You need to be more specific when you call out someone's coins as a fake, like there are casting bubbles, edge seam, matches this known fake on Forum, etc.

Alegandron likes this.
  14. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Not the best coin... but it's mine..

Posting a song that was my Dad's favorite.. great story about leaving Ireland for North America.. as he did many years ago.

Attached Files:

Curtisimo, zumbly, Theodosius and 2 others like this.
  15. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

16. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

My favorite coin at the moment from the Crisis of the Third Century, Emperor Marius of the Romano-Gallic Empire.

3RzPBnL74fDiL6foyr2YNjG5B9wSQd.jpg

Here is an appropriate song for the chaos, war, famine, plagues, and destruction that was a way of life during the Crisis of the Third Century.

17. Alegandron

upload_2018-5-29_7-21-20.png
    Sicily Selinus Litra circa 400 BCE AR 10mm 0.67g Nymph seated on rock touching serpent Selinon leaf - Man-headed bull Mildenberg 27

Andres2, Bing, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  18. Alegandron

RR Rutilius Flaccus 77 BCE Roma Biga wreath S 318 Cr 387-1.jpg
    RR Rutilius Flaccus 77 BCE Roma Biga wreath Sear 318 Cr 387-1

19. Alegandron

And here is the Guy who actually wrote the song, with Patti Smith later revising it into its final form - Surprise:

RR C Hosidius C F Geta 68 BCE Diana bow quiver Boar Hound spear Sear 346 Craw 407-2.jpg
    RR C Hosidius C F Geta 68 BCE Diana bow quiver Boar Hound spear Sear 346 Craw 407-2

20. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I've posted two or three Microdisney songs in this thread and the long-awaited reunion gigs have happened! I was at the Dublin gig on Saturday, 2nd June and it was great :) - I've read similar reports from London. Microdisney broke up in 1988 and I got into them through one of their spin-offs (The Fatima Mansions - if the FMs return, I may explode with excitement). There are many videos up on YouTube already of the Dublin gig and the London one of last Saturday (9th June) - I will just link to this one - a cover of Frankie Valli's "The Night" - they finished with this.

I took one photo' at the start of the gig and then concentrated on listening and watching:

[​IMG]

So, it's back to the coins - this arrived last week and is my sixth Muse - Melpomene:

[​IMG]
    Crawford 410/4. Minted in Rome in 66BC, 3.96g, 19mm. The dating of this issue is a bit uncertain - Crawford dates them to 66 BC, but they didn't appear in the Mesagne Hoard of 5,940 coins which included coins minted as late as 58BC. There are 10 varieties in the issue, each of which is known from up to 10 obverse and reverse dies, so while each is scarce, it might be expected that some would have turned up in a large hoard. In any case, I'll stick with 66BC for now. I prefer Michael Harlan's interpretation of the obverse as featuring the head of a Muse, rather than Apollo, as it looks too feminine, even for Apollo :)

ATB,
    Aidan.

Andres2, Bing, zumbly and 2 others like this.
  21. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted