Ancients: Pegasus, the Winged Horse of the Gods

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Aug 9, 2014.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have to ask myself how much I would spend to feed my desire to visit shows. For most of my life I have lived within a reasonable distance of a show venue. Currently I have a favorite show dealer (does not sell by mail) who I see at three different shows and a couple others that I see twice. I have never gone to the big shows in NYC or Chicago mostly because they would cost as much as ten years worth of the drive-to shows. If I collected the material AJ collects, the trip might be worth it but I rarely spend enough to make it worthwhile. After all, if I bid an extra $1000 on the $100 coins I favor, I'd win more. I do not know what to tell those of you who live a thousand miles from show cities.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I'm gonna show-up without any pants!! ... drunk as a skunk and shakin' a fistful o' hundreds!!

=> who's ready to buy some coins?!!!

........ hmmmm? ....... or maybe vcoins is more my speed? (*sigh*)

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  4. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call you crazy. The portrait of Athena on these coins is indeed far less refined than many examples from Corinth proper, and this is basically as good as it gets for Argos Amphilochicum (and I was primarily looking for a nice pegasus).

I also quite like that example, as well as TIF's. Corinth has some incredible small varieties behind Athena - I'm waiting to find a nice dove-in-wreath as a pair to my Sikyon stater but have been enticed by some others as well. There have been some gorgeous specialized collections of dozens of Corinth staters; certainly an interesting area to collect!

Ancientnoob, vlaha, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  5. biohc

biohc Well-Known Member

Here's a Pegasus coin that I received as a gift over 20 years ago. I don't collect ancients but have a few that I like. This one is interesting it that I haven't been able to find another and have looked at several hundred on line with no luck. My question is whether it's a scarcer one one or not? It seems that most I've seen have both Athena and the Pegasus facing right. I have found coins that have the same basic design but on coins with a different design on the opposite side.
    Anyway, I figured somebody might like to see it. MVC-146S.JPG

6. Does your slab say what/who that is standing behind Athena facing left? almost looks like a slender lion w/ the head of a man. Beautiful coin

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

@michaelscjl,

Scroll halfway down this Wildwind's Corinth Stater page for similar types. The figure behind Athena is described there as "statue of man with filleted staff", although a similar figure is dubbed "statue of Zeus with staff and thunderbolt".

The monogram above the front of her helmet is probably the magistrate's mark.

There are many pages and scores of varieties of these Pegasus staters (from Corinth and other locales). It's a wonderful series :)

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  8. biohc

biohc Well-Known Member

MVC-145S.JPG Here's the slab. Sorry, I forgot to include it.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is a wonderful series. The question is not so much whether it is a scarcer one but whether the minor types add any demand for the specific coin as opposed to just any coin of Corinth in similar grade. AJ mentions his wanting a specific dove in wreath. I would not mind having the Chimera version for a similar reason. TIF showed the Selinos mask which I consider to be the best device available (just my opinion). Zumbly showed one with the 'slightly rude' and 'Eyth' name inscribed additions. I showed one with boring Nike but everything was centered on flan. The point is which of these coins is 'better'. It has next to nothing to do with rarity. I consider the best feature of your coin being that tiny lion head above the front of her helmet giving you a second device on one coin. I would love to be able to collect this series deeply enough to include all those mentioned and some from the other cities like the gem that started this thread. That is not going to happen. Are there enough people trying to fill out this set to make a difference whether a specific type is common or scarce or are most looking for a few great coins?
    g01130b00008lg.JPG
    Just to show another coin, I'll add a Leukas with Lion I bought in the mid 1980's from Charles H. Wolfe (one of my favorite dealers few of you will remember) for $180 making it the first coin I ever paid three digits for. Looking back, it might have been overpriced then but this IS a wonderful series.

10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Pegasus Head Right- 2.48 g. Hope someone could tell me the identity of the incused image on the obverse. SeldPegasus.jpg SeleucFace.jpg

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool coin, michael ...

I have an example with a Bucranium

coin4aa.jpg

12. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

Wonderful coin, Joe, and a dramatic Pegasus. Darn! The only Pegasus I have is on the bowl of Athena's helmet on this coin of Velia:
    [​IMG]

13. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

Doug said: I lack the coin I would really like. Who has a stater with curled wing that was issued with my first two small silvers? Really nice ones are 5 digits. There are some curled wing staters of the 4th century but the ones I want will have the Athena in a rather deep incuse square as seen on my drachm.

I don't know if this is beyond your range, Doug, but it's coming up in CNG e-auction 351: http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=285190

7Calbrey likes this.
  14. brassnautilus

brassnautilus Well-Known Member

There was a forvm thread about those, with the perfect looking athena portrait and unfortunately there are numerous high quality forgeries of that, making this one of the coin types where a collector is probably safer to settle with a less brilliant example.

edit:
    here's the tread.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=28033.0

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Amazing and beautiful coins all!!

The closest I have to those high-value types is a replica from the British Museum, but without the Pegasus---- an Athenian owl instead...

Hitting up to and past four figures is out of my ballpark.

16. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Can't be without a Corinth Stater mine has the Astagalas (sp) ancient gambling token.
    20131222_CorinthColt_opt.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  17. emarc98

emarc98 New Member

Does anyone know any information about this coin?

Attached Files:

18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The obverse looks similar to Helios Sun God ( Amun Ray ) facing, but I am unfamiliar with this coin. You would probably do better by starting a new thread for this coin. BTW, welcome

19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree with Bing-- it's best to start a new thread, with cropped images shown full size in the post. That said, there probably isn't any need to do so for this object, which does not appear to be ancient. One side depicts Athena and the other an aegis with Medusa (or a gorgon) at the center.
    CT-emarc98-token.jpg

Mikey Zee, Alegandron and Bing like this.
  20. emarc98

emarc98 New Member

Thank you, I will start a new thread. I apologize for posting in the wrong place.

21. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

No reason to apologize. It's just that your coin will get more attention in it's own thread rather than at the bottom of an unrelated thread.

Mikey Zee and emarc98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted