Featured Ancients, NEWP: Nabataean AE16 of Syllaeus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Jul 1, 2014.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Here's a coin I first spotted two years ago, but at the time, I didn't have the opportunity to acquire it. I was delighted to find it back on the market recently, and didn't waste any time snatching it up.

In my opinion it represents the best of a very rare type, minted only for a period of several months in 9 BC. Syllaeus was a powerful and crafty minister during the reign of Obodas II (30 - 9 BC), and sought to usurp the throne from its rightful heir, Aretas IV. However, owing to his treachery against Rome in a truly stupendous and colossal feat of misdirection, Syllaeus was executed before his ambitions could be realized.

(Strabo's account of the affair is a compelling read, and I plan to post it later in this thread, along with a map I'm currently composing that traces the misadventure.)

Upon the death of Obodas II, Syllaeus took possession of the treasury at Petra, and began minting a few coins of his own. His political position, however, put him rather between a rock and a hard place. He did not want to acknowledge Aretas IV's rightful claim to the throne, but neither did he wish to place his portrait on the coinage. Caesar considered himself the final arbiter of Nabataean kings, and whether he was or not, Syllaeus needed Rome's approval to consolidate his powers as a usurper.

So what we find on these rare issues is a bust of Obodas II and the letter shin, for Syllaeus. I have not come across a finer portrait of Obodas on any Nabataean bronzes. One finds the better portraits of Obodas on the silver drachms. Neither have I come across a finer example of this particular type, better than the plate coins in both Meshorer and Schmitt-Korte.

Nabataean Kingdom, Syllaeus and Aretas IV
    AE 16, 2.38g, Petra mint, 9 BC
    Obverse: diademed head of Obodas II; shin in left field
    Reverse: crossed cornucopiae; shin in left field
    Reference: K. Schmitt-Korte II, p. 113, 26; Meshorer Nabataean 43 var (no left heth on rev); SNG ANS 1426 var (same)

syllaeus.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's a beautiful example, great contrast of patina and features! Congratulations on the second-time-around nab!

John Anthony likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coin - nice patina!

John Anthony likes this.
  5. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

You sure know how to find these John! I'll admit you make me want to have (a cheap priced) Nabataean as a hole filler. Perhaps when I'm finally off the wagon. Definitely a nice catch, John!

John Anthony likes this.
  6. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Double post! Move along! :D

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

double post again lol

9. John Anthony

This is a bit of a long read, but Strabo's account of Syllaeus' misdirection of the Romans is quite intriguing. The interpolations in blue come from Nabataean scholar Dan Gibson. I've reconstructed the course of the journey on a map of Nabataean trade routes plotted by Christian Augé and Jean-Marie Dentzer.

The story begins with the Romans requesting directions to Arabia Felix. This posed a conundrum to the Nabataeans. If Rome had direct access to the source of their frankincense, the Nabataeans would lose their lucrative position as middlemen in the spice trade.

The Roman request was met with subterfuge...

"He (Aelius Gallus) was, moreover, encouraged to undertake this enterprise by the expectation of assistance from the Nabataeans, who promised to cooperate with him in everything. Upon these inducements Gallus set out on the expedition. But he was deceived by Syllaeus, the king's minister of the Nabataeans, who had promised to be his guide on march, and to assist him in the execution of his design. Syllaeus was, however, treacherous throughout; for he neither guided them by a safe course by sea along the coast, nor by a safe road for the army as he promised, but exposed both fleet and the army to danger by directing them where there was no road, or the road was impracticable, where they were obliged to make long circuits, or to pass through tracts of country destitute of everything; he led the fleet along a rocky coast without harbors, or to places abounding with rocks concealed under water, or with shallows. In places of this description particularly, the flowing and ebbing of the tide did them the most harm.

The first mistake consisted in building long vessels of war at a time when there was no war, nor any likely to occur at sea. For the Arabians, being mostly engaged in traffic and commerce, are not a very warlike people even on land, much less so at sea. Gallus, notwithstanding, built not less than eighty biremes and triremes and galleys at Cleopatris, also called Arsino', and near Hero'polis, near the old canal which leads from the Nile. When he discovered his mistake, he constructed a hundred and thirty vessels of burden, in which he embarked with about ten thousand infantry, collected from Egypt, consisting of Romans and allies, among whom were five hundred Jews and a thousand Nabataeans, under the command of Syllaeus.

After enduring great hardships and distress, he arrived on the fifteenth day at Leuce-Come, a large mart in the territory of the Nabataeans, with the loss of many of his vessels, some with all their crews, in consequence of the difficulty of the navigation, but by no opposition from an enemy. These misfortunes were occasioned by the perfidy of Syllaeus, who insisted that there was no road for an army by land to Leuce-Come, to which and from which place the camel traders travel with ease and in safety from Selah, and back to Selah, with so large a body of men and camels as to differ in no respect from an army." XVI.iv.24

"Gallus, however, arrived at Leuce-Come, with the army laboring under stomacacce and scelotyrbe, diseases of the country, the former affecting the mouth, the other the legs, with a kind of paralysis, caused by the water and the plants (which the soldiers had used in their food). He was therefore compelled to pass the summer and the winter there, for the recovery of the sick." Gallus, setting out again from Leuce-Come on his return with his army, and through the treachery of his guide, traversed such tracts of country, that the army was obliged to carry water with them upon camels.

After a march of many days, therefore, he came to the territory of Aretas (modern Medina?), who was related to Obodas. Aretas received him in a friendly manner, and offered presents. But by the treachery of Syllaeus, Gallus was conducted by a difficult road through the country; for he occupied thirty days in passing through it. It afforded barley, a few palm trees, and butter instead of oil The next country to which he came belonged to the nomads, and was in great part a complete desert (the Debae). It was called Ararene. The king of the country was Sabos. Gallus spent fifty days in passing through this territory, for want of roads, and came to a city of the Nejrani (probably Mecca), and to a fertile country peacefully disposed. The king had fled, and the city was taken at the first onset.

After a march of six days from thence, he came to the river (in the land of the Minae). Here the barbarians attacked the Romans, and lost about ten thousand men; the Romans lost only two men. For the barbarians were entirely inexperienced in war, and used their weapons unskillfully, which were bows, spears, swords, and slings; but the greater part of them wielded a double-edged axe. Immediately afterwards he took the city called Asca (probably modern Al-Lith), which had been abandoned by the king. He thence came to a city Athrula (modern Abha?), and took it without resistance; having placed a garrison there, and collected provisions for the march, consisting of grain and dates he proceeded to a city Marsiaba, belonging to the nation of the Rhammanitae, who were subjects of Ilasarus (in modern Yemen, east of modern San'a). He assaulted and besieged it for six days, but raised the siege in consequence of a scarcity of water.

He was two days' march from the aromatic regions, as he was informed by his prisoners. He occupied in his marches a period of six months, in consequence of the treachery of his guides. This he discovered when he was returning; and although he was late in discovering the design against him, he had time to take another route back..." XVI.iv.25

Strabo goes on to describe Gallus' journey back, along easy routes, which took a mere sixty days as opposed to the six month trek down.

arabia.jpg

The aftermath of this business is equally curious. Syllaeus escapes the Romans and returns to the Nabataeans a hero. Eventually, however, he is accused of assassinating Obodas (who was the Roman-approved ruler), captured, dragged off to Rome, tried, and executed by being thrown off a cliff.

One has to wonder if this trial was a ruse to punish Syllaeus for his deceit against Gallus - after all, it would have been embarrassing to openly admit how badly the Roman army had been duped by an "uncivilized" barbarian, and we have no records as to what evidence was brought against Syllaeus concerning Obodas' assassination. Obodas was an old man by 9 BC and may well have died of natural causes.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    RaceBannon, Volante, TIF and 2 others like this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Couldn't just get a garden variety Roman usurper, eh. Had to be some super obscure Nabataean usurper who didn't even have his face on his coins...

J/k ;). Excellent find and a great-looking coin to boot. Fascinating info... I love these also-rans of history too.

John Anthony likes this.
  11. John Anthony

There are examples of this type that have portraits which correspond to neither Obodas nor Aretas. The chin is stronger, and the nose is quite large. Meshorer thinks this is simply a bust variety of Aretas IV, as the obverse has his monogram in the right field. SK claims it is Obodas.

I ask the question: why couldn't it be Syllaeus? After all, if he told the engravers to put his monogram on some coins but retain the portrait of Obodas, what would have stopped him from telling them to use his portrait alongside Aretas' monogram? He was in a rather delicate political pickle.

Does this coin give us a picture of Syllaeus? Only an ancient Nabataean would know.

obarsyl.jpg

12. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Very nice coin and very informative write up. Thank you.

John Anthony likes this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

atta-boy, JA => your new addition has great eye-appeal (it's quite a flashy lil' coin!!) ... sweet desert patina

John Anthony likes this.
  14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great color and bust JA, that's one of the more attractive nabatean coins I can remember seeing.

John Anthony likes this.
  15. askea

askea Active Member

Beautiful coin John. The patina is amazing as are the details. Great pickup! Sorry for the late post but I have been moving house and my middle daughter got married so I've been a little bit distracted. I couldn't view your last coin you posted and would very much like to see it. The Aretas pomegranate. Oh, and can you confirm the reference for the Syllaeus I have one as well, that was referenced as Meshorer 42?

stevex6 likes this.
  16. John Anthony

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding! I'm not sure why the coin in the pomegranate thread isn't showing - I can't see it either. Here it is again, not a choice coin, but fairly scarce...

aretasivpom.jpg
    I'd have to see your coin of Syllaeus to attribute it. Did you post it somewhere?

stevex6, askea and chrsmat71 like this.
  17. askea

askea Active Member

Very interesting coin. I have never seen one of these. Why a pomegranate blossom in transition I wonder? What's the message do you think? I haven't posted a pic of my Syllaeus but I will. It's not in the greatest shape and hard to photograph. I actually had it outside this morning but no success. I did notice a heth in the reverse. So it's not a 42. So I have a portrait of Obodas with a shin in the left field on the obv. and crossed cornucopias with shin left and heth right. Nothing between the cornucopias.

18. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Very cool JA, I love the patina! It's quite striking.

Are...erm,were there many Nabataean usurpers, or is this a special occurrence?

19. John Anthony

Meshorer didn't even come close to cataloging all the varieties of these minute bronzes. Neither did Schmitt-Korte, but SK's catalog is a bit more extensive. He lists a coin identical to yours but with a dot between the cornucopiae, so I would attribute your coin as S-K 25 (var). Evidently the engravers were given carte blanche to sprinkle monograms and other symbols on the coins as they chose.

It's the only instance in Nabataean history, and Syllaeus should properly be called a would-be usurper. He never achieved his goal of ruling the empire.

Also, a warm thank you to Peter for featuring this thread.

vlaha likes this.
  20. askea

askea Active Member

I finally got a shot of my Syllaeus that I'm somewhat pleased with.

Syllaeus.jpg

Like I said, not the greatest coin, especially the reverse.

chrsmat71 and stevex6 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted