Ancients: Nerva

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Apr 18, 2014.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Come one Steve, TIF is a girl. I don't want to live in a world where girls aren't free to be "airy fairy". :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

TIF too.jpg

=> you go, Fairy-Girl!!

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Excellent new coin AJ! I always enjoy Nerva's nose

I am fairly indifferent about pictures. As long as they show a super awesome coin in focus and you can see the details I am happy with it.

stevex6 likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There is a downside to white. A white background can be bright enough to introduce an overall flare into the lens causing a degradation of fine detail. That is the main reason I use black. Printing is only a problem if you are printing on your home printer where you buy the ink but I prefer to have 4x6 prints made at Costco for 13 cents no matter what color you use. They also do 20x30's for $9 which would cost a lot more than that to do yourself at the ridiculous price of ink for home printers even if you could go that big.

On a computer screen, I consider black easier on the eyes. On discussion groups that allow such controls, I prefer light letters on a darker background. There is a photography discussion group called PhotoCamel that offers 'CamelDark' which is a medium to dark gray with white letters that are easier on the eye IMHO when staring into it for hours. Forvm Ancients offers no choices but has every other post displayed on a light gray.

I do agree, however, that content, sharpness and clarity (be it photographic or textual) are far more important than any of these minor details. Certainly using a reflection on any of my coins would be lipstick on a pig so it is best I stay where I am.

stevex6 likes this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

p2.jpg And heres a less appealing one :{

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:facepalm: Like manhole covers and a cattle brand :D

The other one is interesting though-- with the coins in the background. Very artistic; a good "special occasion" shot.

randygeki likes this.
  10. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Another stunning coin AJ. Wow... For what it's worth, I like your unique style of photo with the hovering effect and the reflection. I also enjoy the write ups.
    The quality of your coins is the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. Just beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing.

Nerva portraits certainly seem to lend credence to the term "Roman Nose." Here's my example with the clasped hands CONCORDIA EXERCITVM reverse mentioned in your write up:
    Nerva; 96-98 AD
    AE As; 29mm/9.4g
    OBV: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS III P P, laureate head right
    REV: CONCORDIA EXERCITVVM S-C, clasped hands.
    (RIC II 79, Cohen 21)
    DSC04084.JPG DSC04086.JPG

TIF, stevex6, Ripley and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

My Nerva Fouree -
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's one of the best portraits I've seen on any coin.
    I generally prefer white backgrounds but will say that the black in your original picture works better with this coin. The shadow and reflection you use I've always enjoyed.

Draft saved Draft deleted