Ancients: Nerva

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Apr 18, 2014.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I won this coin at the most recent CICF sale, and it has the honor of being the first provincial coin I've ever owned. And I'm sure everyone will appreciate that I freed it from its NGC slab ;)

[​IMG]

SYRIA. Antioch. Nerva (AD 96-98). AR tetradrachm (25mm, 15.43 gm, 11h). Dated "New Holy Year" 1 (AD 96/7). . KAIΣ ΣEB AVT NEPOVAΣ, laureate head right, with aegis around neck / ETOVΣ · NEOV · IEPOV · A, eagle standing right on thunderbolt, with wings spread; palm frond to right. McAlee 419; Prieur 149.

Attractive old cabinet toning. An elegant portrait, and an overall impressive piece. NGC AU★ 5/5 - 5/5, fine style.

Chosen by the senate, Marcus Cocceius Nerva succeeded Domitian in AD 96 as emperor. Nerva became known as the first of the “Good emperors”. In his short reign he implemented several improvements: the allotment of land to the urban poor, distribution of loans to farmers, and building of roads.

Prior to his ascension, he had been a long-time central politician under the various emperors before him, particularly Domitian, Vespasian, and Nero.

History is best understood in hindsight, and the Romans of the time could not have known how pivotal the murder of Domitian would prove to be. We have since recognized a clean break between the ‘Twelve Caesars’ and the ‘Adoptive’ emperors – something that would not have crossed the mind of a Roman living in the transition year of 96. Nerva was an elderly, childless senator who was descended from a long line of successful lawyers. His reign was not remarkable, but it served as a buffer between the dynastic nature of the previous century and the ‘adoptive’ character of the era that followed.

The reign of Nerva was quite different than that of his predecessor: his was one of moderation and tolerance in comparison with the militant nature of Domitian, and had he been a younger, more energetic man – perhaps with an heir – it is hard to predict how the fate of Rome might have been altered.

Domitian spoiled his army by increasing their salaries from 225 denarii per year (which had been the standard since the time of Julius Caesar) to 300 per year, and paid them in coins of increased weight and purity. This was a difficult act for an elderly senator to follow, especially since for at least six decades the army had been instrumental in making and maintaining emperors. Money was a key to Nerva’s success: he maintained Domitian’s standards of heavy, pure aurei and he devoted reverse types to the army.

But even with Nerva’s fiscal and numismatic overtures, his relationship with the army was strained at best. Nerva started off as emperor under a precarious relationship with the army which suspected him of being involved in the conspiracy against Domitian. He made things right in their eyes by presenting them with a very apologetic speech but despite these efforts, there were two failed plots against the new emperor: one by troops stationed on the Danube, and another by praetorian guardsmen in Rome, who were principally seeking revenge on those who had murdered Domitian.

Nerva made one of the most fortunate decisions of all time by deciding to select his successor based on merit, beginning the "Golden Era of Rome". After less than two years as emperor, Nerva suffered a stroke in January AD 98 and was succeeded by his adopted son, Trajan, a successful general and then governor of Upper Germany.

Because of Nerva's short reign, little change was made in the procedures of Rome and it continued along its militant and expansionist path throughout the reign of Trajan, only to be briefly curtailed under Hadrian, and restored out of necessity by later emperors.

The reverse of this coin depicts a powerful eagle. The eagle had been the standard Ptolemaic reverse type and was adopted by Augustus for the first Roman coinage of Egypt. For the Romans the eagle was not only a symbol of Jupiter; it was inevitably associated with the legions and warfare. In the present case it may be the Alexandrian equivalent of the CONCORDIA EXERCITVVM type, which depicted clasped hands holding a legionary eagle resting on a prow. This was one of Nerva’s most characteristic types, employed on both precious metal and bronze coinage of the Rome mint throughout his brief reign.

Ripley, zumbly, RaceBannon and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

What can I say AJ. Another beautiful coin. You have a knack for picking out the beauties.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

For sure one of the nicest nerva's ive seen posted here. Puts my denarius to shame :(

[​IMG]

Ripley, RaceBannon, Bing and 2 others like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wowza! Another gorgeous coin, superb photography, and interesting write-up. You sure set a high bar!

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Stunning, Joe, congratulations. I'd be too afraid of cracking out a coin of this value, but I have complete confidence that it's in good hands. :)

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Too much wear for AU if it were US but there is no shame in being EF and best I have seen in so many ways more important than wear (style, strike, surfaces). I am not a fan of the fake reflections photos (and never will be) but it still is an exceptionally nice coin.

Question: If you were to sell it, would you include the remains of the deceased slab? Would people pay for a broken slab with a 5x5* label?

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow => that's certainly a gorgeous Nerva ya got there (great new pick-up!!) ... you have amazingly great taste and you consistently choose very sweet coins (congrats)

Ummm, I also have a Nerva example ... yah, it's certainly not in your elite-grouping, but I still think that it's kinda cute ...

Nerva AR Didrachm
    CAPPADOCIA, Caesaraea-Eusebia

AD 96-98
    Struck AD 98
    Diameter: 20 x 22 mm
    Weight: 6.64 grams
    Obverse: Laureate head right
    Reverse: Club set on ground; date in legend
    Reference: Metcalf, Caesarea 45; Sydenham, Caesarea 153
    Other: 12h … nicely toned

Nerva Club a.jpg Nerva Club b.jpg

=> he definitely had one of the best noses in the ol' coin biz, eh?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Ripley, TIF, Bing and 1 other person like this.
  9. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Here it is on a plain background.

Personally, I use my coins as the desktop background on my various devices and I like the reflections, but I also appreciate other approaches (i.e. what Roma does with their blue felt background for featured lots). I've had a number of people say they absolutely love the reflections, and some people that don't like them at all.

I am curious as to the opinions of the other members here as to if they prefer plain backgrounds vs the reflections, but I suppose it's a case of if you ask 10 people for an opinion, you'll end up with at least 10 different answers.

[​IMG]

I wouldn't, and I've already disposed of the entirety of the slab (insert included). I suppose NGC might re-slab it as I have the auction pictures when it was encapsulated, but when it does come time to sell, today's slabs likely won't be relevant even if European bidders are buying slabbed coins at that point. US coins have proven this fact: every handful of years, PCGS/NGC change their slab types and coins in newer slabs are valued differently (like the "Secure Plus" designation which shows the surfaces haven't been doctored - it's a fantastic way to force everyone to pay for re-grading fees). I went so far as to crack out US coins when I was collecting them - I'd rather keep them raw up until it came time to sell them, then get them in the newest holders, rather than pay re-grading fees along the way for consistency in my collection. This worked very well and saved me substantial sums fees.

So, if in XX years when I or my heirs sell my collection, if slabbing is in vogue, they may end up in some futuristic hologram 3D laser encapsulation by whichever company is popular at that time, or they'll still be raw.

Ripley, stevex6 and John Anthony like this.
  10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, a man after my own heart. I love the nose. I think my fascination with the few ancient rhino coins is a nose thing. :)

stevex6 likes this.
  11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Myself, I like any photographs with a dark background. I do not mind the reflections. But, you are right, I bet if you ask ten here we will all have different answers. Its like women, we all have different tastes, (and men as well TIF).

12. John Anthony

Well said.

As far as backgrounds go, I would prefer scantily-clad nubile priestesses engaging in a belly dance, but each to his own. :)

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I am a fan of your cool reflection photos .... but as far as standard backgrounds are concerned, I definitely prefer a white background over a black background (but don't turn-on me fellas, for I realize that the majority of you dudes aim for a perfect-dark background) ..... I like when the coins themselves are photograhed well, rather than worrying too much about the background ...

... oh, and JA makes a pretty good point (belly-dancer background is pretty high-up on my list as well)

14. John Anthony

At any rate, since we all own coins, we're all acutely aware of how different they can look under different lighting schemes and angles. So we all understand that one photograph is an extremely limited representation.

15. Bing

I like the dark background AJ. And I do believe I like the reflection as well (at least on this particular coin). The details of this coin are enhanced with the darker background.

16. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Wow, fantastic coin AJ! Great portrait and the eagle rocks!!
    I don't yet have a Nerva but am liking all I am seeing above! Great coins!

stevex6 likes this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Generally, I prefer coins on a black background although sometimes bronze coins look better against white.

As for AJ's reflection template... I'm a fangirl. :D It looks elegant, isn't too fussy, and it doesn't distract from the coin.

The reflection template would look very out of place with most coins. An exception is this fantastic composition with John Anthony's fouree-- but it works because it is funny. Lipstick on a pig. (JA-- you know I adore your fouree! It's the best worst coin :))

[​IMG]

John Anthony, stevex6 and Bing like this.
  18. Bing

I agree with TIF. The reflection gives it an elegant feel. So with quality coins like you normally show, I like the reflection.

19. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

For pure numismatic study, the reflection photo might not be necessary and could even be distracting in some cases.

But for a historic presentation with write-up (especially for an audience that might include non-numismatists), the reflection photo is very impressive.

Either way, it is a beautiful coin with a nice write-up.

Thanks,

guy

20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

My initial comments didn't quite capture what I meant to say. At the risk of sounding too arty...

The floating effect draws me in. With the deep black, it's like going into the void of outer space. There is nothing there but this beautiful coin and silence, and I am free to focus entirely on the coin.

(Yeah, that's pretty airy fairy. Feel free to make fun of me :D)

A pure white background is probably the most practical. Less ink required for printing, visually compatible with a greater range of online and print situations, etc. But for beauty... I like a black background.

21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

fairy

:panda:

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted