Featured [ancients] Nero Denarius - Ivppiter Saves!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Jun 29, 2014.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

A wise woman once said that every ancients collector needs a Nero. Actually, she just said it today in another thread, but anyway my point is that sometimes even one Nero isn't enough. In fact, I have several bronzes of Nero, but have always felt a nagging disatisfaction with all of them. I finally figured that what I needed was a Nero in silver, and so when this relatively affordable denarius showed up, I kind of jumped at it. Only time will tell if another Nero will be needed at a later date :rolleyes:

It's fairly worn and scratched up, but the portrait is still quite nice and I prefer this denarius reverse over the other common (SALVS) one. It has an interesting historical background as well - it is believed that Nero had this issue struck in recognition of the efforts of Jupiter the Preserver (IVPPITER CVSTOS) in preventing the success of Gaius Calpurnius Piso's conspiracy to have him assassinated in 65 AD. Over 40 people were implicated in the conspiracy, and some prominent members and former close associates of Nero such as the philosopher Seneca, the poet Lucan and satirist Petronius were forced to commit suicide. A mere three years later, Ivppiter gave up the job of cvstossing Nero, and in the face of Galba's revolt the emperor had his secretary help him commit suicide.

Huntington Nero 3270908.jpg

NERO
    Denarius (3.01g, 17mm)
    Rome mint, 64 - 65 AD
    RIC I 53, RSC 119.
    O: NERO CAESAR AVGVSTVS, laureate head right.
    R: IVPPITER CVSTOS, Jupiter seated left on throne, holding thunderbolt and scepter.
    Ex Archer M. Huntington Collection, ANS 1001.1.25293

Alegandron, Eduard, Curtisimo and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice, pretty much the most common reverse for him. I swapped my sad one for this one, shown before, cause of the better surfaces and such. Sometimes I dont mind having something better even if it is more common.

[​IMG]

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

He looks unusually handsome in your portrait, Z. Nice pickup. I have more Neros on my shopping list too :). At the very least, an Alexandrian even though they aren't the prettiest coins nor are they the best metal.

5. zumbly

Yours definitely has nicer surfaces than mine. Just a nice upgrade overall for you. Hmm, I may need another Nero sooner rather than later.

6. zumbly

He does, doesn't he! Not quite Fat Elvis yet in this one :)

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Want another Nero, consider adding a tetradrachm with his wife, whom is said he had kicked in a fit of rage killing her and their unborn child.

[​IMG]

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, smooth pick-up, Z-bro (congrats)

yah, I only have "1" Nero example, but it is one of my all-time favourite coins ...

nero.jpg nero2.jpg

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great coin, Z. I agree that the portrait is unusually handsome for Nero.

zumbly likes this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Always like Nero coins. Nice pickup.
    Nero and Claudius OBV.jpg
    NERO AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: NERO CLAVD DIVI CLAVD F CAESAR AVG GERM, laureate head of Nero right.
    REVERSE: DIVOS CLAVD AVGVST GERMANIC PATER AVG, Claudius' laureate head right
    Struck at Caesarea, Cappodocia, 63/4AD
    3.6g, 17mm
    RIC 621, RSC 3, RPC 3648

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While I like Bing's coin, the 'next' Nero of choice to me would be one of the young issues when he was not so nasty looking. I do not have a denarius but he is still 'normal' looking in this Antioch tetradrachm of 60 AD.

gi0110b00252lg.jpg

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

It is a nice portrait.

zumbly likes this.
  13. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

I like it Z-Man!

I'm somewhat partial to the double chinned versions of Nero's portrait. It just seems to me that those profiles more likely capture a realistic image of the man.

He looks almost unnaturally handsome on some of these coins. Here's one of mine, I'd call it a well worn, somewhat thinner, maybe younger version of Nero.
    You can still see his likeness, but the double chin had maybe not yet fully formed.

Nero As Obv.JPG Nero As Rev.JPG

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

cool coin and write up Z man.

nero is on my list. :grumpy:

zumbly likes this.
  15. Marcelo

Marcelo New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted