[Ancients] My first Fouree. BD?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by vlaha, Jul 1, 2015.

1. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Well ladies and gentlemen, the Vla ha ha ha is back! (Now with new and improved coins! Stock up on autographs while they last!) It's been a while, but I finally managed to find an ancient that I liked. To make the deal even sweeter, it was only $5!

RSCN2064.JPG
    RSCN2067.JPG

Imitation of Roman Republic
    L. Titurius L.f. Sabinus, 88 B.C.
    Obv. Head of Tatius facing right, SABIN behind, TA before
    Rev. Two Roman soldiers, each holding a woman in his arms (the rape of the Sabines), L. TITVRI in extreituge
    Sear 222

(The above information comes from the "second revised edition" of Sear, a book that was gifted to me by our very own Eng. Many thanks my friend. :playful:)

It took me way to long to consider the possibility that it might have BD (until I was taking it out of the flip to photograph it), and by then I had brought it to Colorado Springs with all of my other ancients. Whoops. :/ It's now in isolation.

The green stuff is powdery, so unless someone has (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE) another explanation I'm going to assume it's BD.

Does anyone have a recommended way of treating it? It's my first fouree, so I'm loath to let it die.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Gil-galad and stevex6 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Contact Badthad. Buy his product. If its not BD his product will not react with it or hurt it. I always throw some of his stuff on if I am in doubt.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is not an easy one. The standard soak in commercial or home brew BD remover (Sodium sesquicarbonate) will remove the green but the green is what is supporting the silver. Depending how deep the BD has gone into the copper you might end up with a hollow shell. This will be interesting but fragile. You might get lucky and find solid green under the powder as on the one below but you still will have breakable edges.

[​IMG]
    rs6370bb1154.jpg

Gil-galad, stevex6 and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

welcome back vlaha!

is it green or blue? i once baked a coin after cleaning and had it instantly covered with a pretty blue substance.

[​IMG]

swamp yankee and Gil-galad like this.
  6. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

It's more of a green color, and some of the core has corroded away. :/

Nice to see you folks too. It's been a little while. ;)

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

It looks a bit far gone for verdi-care. Good luck with it.

TIF likes this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Welcome back, Vlaha!! => it's nice to have you back in the ring (*yikes* => but your new coin has a very nasty disease)

:eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted