Ancients: More Baltimore: Alexandrian coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Mar 31, 2014.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The four coins I got at Baltimore from Alexandria all share the Emmett rarity rating 1 (super common). I probably bought them because I want to be younger and the average age of Alexandrian collectors here is less than of some things. There were a lot of Alexandrians but most were low grade and high priced.

Antoninus Pius year 11 4dr Elpis - overcleaned but with a lot of detail
    0bb3134.jpg
    Antoninus Pius year 10 drachm Zeus on eagle - much legend for such a worn coin - possibly brick cleaned?
    0bb3135.jpg
    Severus Alexander year 4 4dr Dikaiosyne - I believe this is what is termed 'Roman Style'???
    0bb3136.jpg
    Salonina year 11 4dr Dikaiosyne seated - I did not have her seated before this.
    0bb3137.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]

Alexander & Salonina are lovely.

Pius looks almost similar to mine.

Can the emmet stuff end up being out of date? Cause I already posted mine and you stated its R1 but there sure wasnt any, but 1 on forvm, to be found.

4. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Ha ha Doug, I love them.
    If someone tries to assign rarity ratings to over 4000 types (and most of those types including multiple years) they're bound to make mistakes.

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Some more neat additions. That one of Severus Alexander kinda looks like both Caracalla and Nero.

6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Four very worthy coins but I must admit to liking the Severus Alexander the most. The portraiture at this mint tends to be more crude in style that that we would see on a comparable bronze from Rome. The quality of the engraving on some of the portraits of Severus Alexander from this period are of a quite high quality leading to the "Roman style" comment where the supposition is that an engraver from Rome was working at the mint.

Here is my "Roman style" example.

[​IMG]

chrsmat71, vlaha, Bing and 4 others like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, I love your new additions, Doug (good hunting) ...

=> I have a similar looking coin (I love these good ol' drachms)

ant 3a.jpg ant 3b.jpg Antoninus Pius Group 3a.jpg Antoninus Pius Group 3b.jpg

vlaha, TIF, Bing and 3 others like this.
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A handsome quartet. :)

vlaha, TIF and Ardatirion like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Books are out of date before the ink dries but there is no guarantee that all (actually) common coins will be on the market every day. The worst part is that changes in where hoards are being found and reported will make a big difference. The normalization of relations between the West and former Soviet nations made a difference in what we knew and saw. Rarity guides are just that - guides.

10. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

More great style, thanks for sharing M.

11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

those severus alexander tets are amazing.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Agree. Actually I consider all the Severan period Alexandrian coins a high point in the mint's history. However we still may be dealing with imported dies or workers on some of the coins. I'll use this as an excuse to show my old Elagabalus tetradrachm.
    gi1770bb0254.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted