Ancients: Lions

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Just trying to keep you honest....

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Actually when Doug started this thread early today I couldn't wait to see what you posted....at least there was no underpants. stevex6

stevex6 likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm late to this great thread!

@dougsmit: of course I love your Egyptian Commodus/lion (and @Valentinian's Marcus Aurelius). The exergual lion on the Aurelian was unexpected and cool, and now I want one too :D. The Leo I Lion is also one I wouldn't say no to :D

@IdesOfMarch01: what can we say about that fantastic Hadrian aureus? What a majestic coin :)

@Alegandron: that Babylon stater is so cool!

@ancientnut: such a great strike and wonderful preservation of that Velia

@Bing and @rrdenarius I am very envious of your Volteius lion bigas. One of these days...
    @ancientone, that Phrygian Philip I lion biga is fantastic despite the hole :)

@Carausius, that Republican double litra is such a notable coin and fantastic lion! The stye of the lion reminds me of the Carthage Libyan revolt shekels, although those were struck a few decades later.

@Quant.Geek, that is the best Seljuks I've seen! Thanks for the translations. I'm going to copy that for mine :)

I collected Pigasi (coin geek slang for winged boars) so this type was a must-have. The roaring lion was icing on the cake.
    [​IMG]
    LESBOS, Mytilene
    521-478 BCE
    EL hekte, 10.5 mm, 2.6 gm
    Obv: forepart of winged boar right
    Rev: incuse head of lion left; rectangular punch behind
    Ref: Bodenstedt Em. 10; HGC 6, 935; SNG von Aulock –; Boston MFA 1678; BMC –

The next coin was acquired due to a ridiculous rationalization. My mom is a Scorpio (she likes that astrological stuff) and I thought I would give it to her. Riiiiiight. Like she'd care about an ancient coin? Like she'd even be able to see this teensy tiny thing? I simply loved the coin and used these excuses to bid beyond the planned amount :D
    [​IMG]
    CARIA, Mylasa
    450-400 BCE
    AR hemiobol, 7 x 9 mm, 0.5 gm
    Obv: facing forepart of lion
    Rev: scorpion within incuse square
    Ref: SNG von Aulock 7803

I was thrilled to buy one of the purported "first coins in history":
    [​IMG]
    KINGS OF LYDIA, temp. Ardys - Alyattes
    630-564 BCE
    Electrum trite, 4.8 gm, 13.4 mm. Sardes mint.
    Obv: head of roaring lion right, sun with four rays on forehead
    Rev: two incuse square punches
    Ref: Weidauer Group XV, 64; BMC 2

What the next one lacks in quality it makes up for in length of pedigree (searched out by @Ardatirion, a former owner)
    [​IMG]
    THESSALY, The Oitaioi
    167-146 BC.
    AR Hemidrachm (15mm, 2.30 g, 1h)
    Herakleia Trachinia mint
    Obv: Lion’s head left, spear in its jaws
    Rev: OITAI downward to right, ΩN downward to left, Herakles standing facing, holding club in both hands
    Ref: Valassiadis 9; BCD Thessaly II 494 (same obverse die)
    Private sale, Bill Dalzell (Ardatirion), March 2015
    Ex BCD Collection (Classical Numismatic Group Electronic Auction 290), lot 57
    Ex Peus 384 (2 November 2005), lot 199
    Ex Vinchon (20 May 1959), lot 483
    Ex M. Ratto 11 (16 May 1935), lot 239
    Ex R. Ratto (4 April 1927), lot 1023
    Ex Naville-Ars Classica V (18 June 1923), lot 1764

One of my earliest individual ancient coin purchases:
    [​IMG]LUCANIA, Velia
    305-290 BCE
    AR didrachm, 17.5 mm, 7.3 gm
    Obv: Head of Athena right, wearing crested helmet, decorated with griffin; at left, A
    Rev: YEΛHTΩN; lion standing on exergual line; above dolphin between I and Φ
    Ref: SNG ANS 1375-6

Another relatively early purchase, from eBay (stupid to buy from eBay as a newbie ancient coin collector!!). I have worried about its authenticity since these coins are widely faked, but its style and fabric suggest authentic:
    [​IMG]
    Thrace, Chersonesos
    400-350 BC

AR hemidrachm, 13mm, 2.3gm
    Obv: forepart of a lion right, head reverted
    Rev: quadripartite; incuse; dot AΓ (ligate) and pentagram in opposing depressions
    Ref: (I don't have a reference for this reverse combination)

The next coin shows what a bad influence coin forums can be. There was some ooh-ing and aah-ing over the type on a coin forum and this coin was in the same auction as another coin I was targeting, and I didn't want my main target to travel alone so...
    [​IMG]
    SELJUKS OF RUM, Ghiyath al-Din Kay Khusraw II bin Kay Qubadh
    Konya mint, CE 1241/2 (AH 639)
    Silver Dirhem
    Obv: lion advancing right; facing sun and star above, two stars below
    Rev: legend across field
    Ref: Broome 243G; Izmirlier 403; Album 1218
    formerly slabbed :rolleyes:

Can I count this? There is a lioness on the reverse, albeit small and indistinct :D
    [​IMG]
    Septimius Severus
    Rome, CE 206
    AR denarius, 3.41 gm, 20 mm, 12h
    Obv: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    Rev: LAETITIA TEMPORVM, the spina of the Circus Maximus decorated as a ship facing left, with the turning posts at its prow and stern, a sail mounted on the central obelisk, and the spina's other monuments visible in between; above the ship, four quadrigas racing left; below, seven animals: an ostrich at left and a bear at right; between them a lion and a lioness chasing a wild ass and a panther attacking a bison
    Ref: RIC 274; BMC 343.
    ex Colosseo Collection

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is getting harder to remember others that have not been shown several times so I'll dip to maybe lions. This denarius shows an encounter between a man and either a lion or giant hound depending on who you read. The moneyer's father defeated the Gauls under Bituitus who had employed hounds of war but the beast shown here does look more like a lion. Seaby in Roman Silver Coins 1967 edition says hound but the 1978 edition says lion. Perhaps one of our RR fans will discuss this???
    Cn. Domitius Ahenobarbus
    ra1270bb2272.jpg

Thanks to all who participated.

dlhill132, Ajax, chrsmat71 and 12 others like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Crawford calls it a lion, and CNG's catalogers do the same.

From Crawford, who has a footnote specifying that it is not a hound:

Victory in biga r., holding reins in l. hand and whip in r. hand; above, ROMA; below, man fighting lion*; in exergue, CN·DOM. Line border.
    Reverse dies: [89].

* Not hound, contra Babelon and Sydenham (see M. H. Crawford and R. Thomsen in M. Thompson, The Agrinion Hoard, 125); the type thus in no way refers to the exploits of Cn. Domitius Ahenobarbus, Cos. 122, against King Bituitus (for dogs in battle see R. M. Cook, Festschrift Rumpf, 38).

However, there must be more recent scholarship on the issue because CNG (whose catalogers keep abreast of changes) attributes the coin to Cn. Domitius Ahenobarbus while Crawford says it is someone else. From Crawford:

Since this issue and no. 285 are separated by only a decade, it is difcfi ult to regard both moneyers as Domitii Ahenobarbi in the same line of descent. This moneyer is perhaps a Cn. Domitius Calvinus or a Cn. Domitius Ahenobarbus from a collateral branch of the family; for second-century Calvini note the commander in Liguria (Frontinus, Strat. iii, 2, 1 with A. E. Douglas, Brutus, p. 187), for collateral Aheno-barbi note the Cn. Domitius Ahenobarbus of Livy xlii, 28, 13 (an oppido adulescens in 172 he can hardly be the Cos. 162; I owe this point to H. B. Mattingly) and the L. Domitius Cn.f. (Ahenobarbus) in the Senatus consultum de agro Pergameno.

For the wild-beast fight on the reverse see W. Kubitschek, NZ 1913, 228; the fight and the com-ear together seem to refer to the games and distributions of produce offered to the Roman people by an Aedile as a step to higher office (see P· 729).

Maybe @Carthago or @Volodya can offer a more educated opinion on these matters.

Mikey Zee and zumbly like this.
  7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That's a little disturbing...

Deacon Ray likes this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Now I'm confused.

9. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Long long ago I had some thoughts on this issue, either on the mostly-forgotten Moneta-L Yahoo list or the completely forgotten Numism-L. Honestly I don't remember what I said then and these days I'm inclined to agree with Crawford without comment. The only reason I recall this at all is that my post concluded with a not-bad pun:

Let lion dogs lie.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Mikey Zee, rrdenarius and TIF like this.
  10. I_v_a_n

I_v_a_n Well-Known Member

Hunting lion pride_small.jpg @IdesOfMarch01 I have no words - your Africa Lion is great!!!
    Here is my "hunting lions pride" :) All hunters and victime are from EL hektes Mytilene.

Andres2, dlhill132, Ajax and 11 others like this.
  11. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

As far as the actual topic of the thread goes, I suppose a lion-skin enclosed a lion once upon a time:

Phil (121).JPG

12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful posts!!

Of course, I forgot a couple but I'll just post this drachm from Massalia, Gaul (130-125 BC) since it has the most complete 'Lion' on the reverse....with an Artemis obverse.
    RR massillia gaul drachm.jpg

Andres2, dlhill132, ken454 and 9 others like this.
  13. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliment.

I've always marveled at the artistry on these small EL hektes, and more than once have been tempted to start collecting them. I'm finding that temptation harder and harder to resist. Your pride of lions is outstanding.

I_v_a_n likes this.
  14. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

This is one of the coolest mythological beasts you can find on ancient (or even modern) coins. Probably next to your chimaera, one of your best.

Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  15. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

My most recent lion, a Rhegium tetradrachm:

[​IMG]

16. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

:rolleyes:WOW!!! :woot::woot:

So many fantastic posts!!!

17. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Doug showed one of the most famous zoo-series lions--the one minted for the saecular games of the 1000th anniversary of Rome in 248 AD under Philip. Here is another one:

PhilipSAEClion.jpg
    Philip I (244-249). 22-20 mm. 4.41 grams. 6:00
    SAECVLARES AVGG, I below (for the first officina)
    Sear, volume 3, 8956. RIC 12, page 70. Struck 247 or 248.

(In case you think coin prices always go up, I bought this one in 1988 in an auction and I'm sure I could find the same quality now for the same price or less.)

dlhill132, ken454, TJC and 6 others like this.
  18. Valentinian

The Goddess of Syria, Dea Syria, had a lion as a companion, much like the Carthaginian goddess posted by @Ajax:

PhilipHieropolis800.jpeg
    28 mm. 14.09 grams. 12:00.
    ΘEAC CVPIAC IEPO-ΠOΛITΩN
    Dea Syria, of Hieropolis
    Philip I (244-249) struck for Hieropolis, Syria. I say "for" Hieropolis (IEPO-ΠOΛITΩN) 2:30-3:30 and continued in the exergue) rather than "at" Hieropolis because it was probably struck at Antioch (Butcher, Coinage in Roman Syria, page 453. His type 64a.)
    Sear Greek Imperial 4144 for Philip II (all legends are the same for Philip I and II, only the portrait makes any distinction, and they can be hard to distinguish).
    Lindgren and Kovacs 1925-6.
    SNG Copenhagen Syria 63 "Hieropolis-Bambyce" (64 is Philip II-look at the two portraits to see how similar coins of Philip I and II can be.)

19. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Lovely coin, Valentinian. I had a Celator article about Atargatis/Dea Syria and her connection to a parodic moment in Apulieus's Golden Ass (aka Metamorphoses). Below is an excerpt. The article can be read here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23980399/Celator Essay on Apuleius Richardson.pdf

“Perhaps due to religious syncretism involving Atargatis and Cybele, Antonine and Severan coinage often depicted the Great Mother goddess Cybele similarly seated, holding a tympanum with a lion at her feet. It is this association between Atargatis and her lions that is parodied most cleverly in [Apuleius’s] Metamorphoses. Instead of being borne in majesty by the noble lion, the cult statue of Atargatis is carried on the back of an ass. Numismatic reverse types offer insight into the joke since many coins depict Atargatis being carried on a lion’s back. The earliest such coin is a didrachm of Manbog, the pre-Hellenistic Syrian name for Hierapolis, likely struck sometime in the fourth century B.C. Later Roman provincial coins of Caracalla, Severus Alexander, Philip I, and Philip II would continue this iconographical tradition, depicting Atargatis riding a lion and holding a scepter. Similar Severan reverse types feature Cybele (or her North African equivalent “Dea Caelestis”) also riding a lion. Although these issues are slightly later than the probable composition date of the Metamorphoses, they testify to an iconographical tradition that likely informs the Apuleius text..."

20. Valentinian

I just read the article of @Gavin Richardson (link above) about Apulieus's Golden Ass (aka Metamorphoses) and Atargatis, the goddess whose image rides on a lion. It is excellent and fascinating. The coins with goddess and lion are more interesting when you know more of the story.

Mikey Zee and Gavin Richardson like this.
  21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Sorry I'm tardy to this thread. There are oodles of nice lions already posted!

This guy is mostly lion (although his DNA may be a little bit twisted):
    Sikyon Stater Collage.jpg
    SIKYONIA, Sikyon
    AR Stater

335-330 BC
    11.94 grams, 23.2 mm
    Obv: Chimera advancing left, paw raised, wreath above, ΣΕ below.
    Rev: Dove flying left, I left, all within olive wreath.
    Grade: a gVF nicely toned coin.
    Other: Sikyon mint. BCD Peloponnesos 219, Traité III 776, BCD Peloponnesos pg 40, 56. SNG Cop 48 var (N instead of I). Ex CNG auction 312 lot 88 originating from a 1930’s collection.

This guy is quite chunky:
    DiShekel Side View.jpg
    BABALONIA, Babylon
    AR Stater (or Dishekel)
    328-321 B.C.

16.08 grams, 22 mm x 5.5 mm thick
    Obv: Ba’al seated left holding scepter
    Rev: Lion walking left, control mark
    Г above.
    Grade: good Fine to a Very Fine
    nicely toned & centered.
    Other:Good silver 5.5 mm thick. Anonymous mintage of Eastern Alexandrine empire under the successors of Mazaeus (Stamenes 328-323 B.C., Archon 323-321 B.C.) See BMC.34, BMC.184/36. Babylonian stater coin sometimes called a tetradrachm according to the Attic standard due to its 16 gram weight. Ex Pegasi auction #19 lot 181 November 18, 2008. From private sale January 11, 2014.

Draft saved Draft deleted