Ancients: Last Baltimore show NP report - Republicans

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Apr 2, 2014.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Concluding the reports of my Baltimore show finds are two Republicans I did not have before. From 102 BC is a denarius of C.Fabius showing Cybele on the obverse and a rather ordinary Victory in biga reverse. What makes it special is the flamingo in front of the biga (for you animal types). The coin has several scratches and faults but I wanted the bird.
    Fabia 15 Crawford 322/1a
    ra3200bb3138.jpg

Last is a 63 BC denarius of L. Furius Brocchus with Ceres between wheat and barleycorn and a curile chair between fasces (not with full bands so of no interest to US dime collectors). I have trouble turning down Republicans with types not involving a chariot or Roma. It is slightly unusual in that it bears the title IIIVIR. This was the most expensive coin I got at the show so it gets the final spot on this report. While worn to Fine, it has attractive tone and is not a type I see regularly.
    Furia 23a Crawford 414
    0bb3139.jpg

My next coin show is in May. I need to take some time off and read the books I bought recently.

vlaha, Collect89, RaceBannon and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I love the Republican coins and these are wonderful additions. I do have one of these already, but I would love to have the other as well. Here is my L FURIUS CN F BROCCHUS:
    L Furius CNF Brocchus.jpg
    L FURIUS CN F BROCCHUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS FURIA AR Denarius OBVERSE: Bust of Ceres right between wheat-ear and barley-corn; III VIR across field, BROCCHI below
    REVERSE: Curule chair between fasces; L. FVRI/CN. F above
    Rome 63 BC
    3.9g, 20mm
    Cr414/1; Furia 23

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

beautiful denari....I LOVE THE FLAMINGO!

i read somewhere along the way that the romans used to eat them...he better make a break for it!

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow => two super RR pick-ups!! (congrats)

... sadly, I don't have examples of either to share (yup, I need to buy more coins!!)

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very neat coins. Never seen a flamingo on a ancient before.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Splendid coins! Gotta love the flamingo.

8. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

really liking the features on those coin(s) ....

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Beautiful coins, even with the scrapes I would take them. Im not that fussy when it comes to that stuff though. Holes on the other hand..

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Notice the divot on the reverse of the Furius under the horses. It was hit with a point that raised a round mound at the end of the gouge. Of course there are the cuts across the field into the horses and up from the bottom. Such things don't bother me unless the dealer calls the coin EF and wants $900 for a $90 coin.

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That kind of hole doesnt bother me, it's an "all the way through" hole that is a turn off. Broken coins also do nothing for me, even if they're super glued.

Even an EID MAR in my budget that was broken in half I would have trouble forking money over for. But thats just me.

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Broken or holed doesn't bother me. However, I prefer the major parts of the devises not be interfered by these blemishes. I have a MAXIMIANUS AR Argenteus that has chip, but which does not affect the obverse or reverse designs:
    Maximianus8.jpg
    MAXIMIANUS AR Argenteus
    OBVERSE: MAXIMIANVS AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: VIRTVS MILITVM, four tetrarchs sacrificing before walls with 8 turrets
    Struck at Ticinum, 295 AD
    2.6g, 18mm
    RIC VI 18b

I was able to negotiate a very good price because of the chip. Without the chip, I could not afford this coin.

stevex6, zumbly, vlaha and 1 other person like this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

That's all I like!

Attached Files:

stevex6, vlaha and Bing like this.
  14. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

At first I thought the reverse of the second featured a dead body.

The first morgue on a coin...

Draft saved Draft deleted