[ancients] Kyrenaika's silphium plant

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Apr 14, 2014.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

This type of coin caught my eye a while back. At a glance, I thought the plant was equisetum. It's not; it is thought to be a now extinct plant called silphium. It may have belonged to the fennel family; it could be the extant plant Ferula tingitana. Reading about this plant furthered my resolve to find an numismatic example.

As luck would have it, these coins of North Africa are ridiculously expensive. I managed to find a well-priced although not very glamorous example in the recent Roma auction. It's pretty scratched up-- at best clumsily cleaned, at worst perhaps tooled. Still, given that I didn't want to pay a fortune for an example, I'm happy with it. Bonus-- it also shows Zeus Ammon, whose coin depictions I avidly collect!

Kyrenaika-Barke-ARhemidrachm.jpg
    KYRENAIKA, Barke
    480-450 BC

AR hemidrachm, 13 mm, 1.57 gm
    Obv: silphium plant
    Rev: head of Zeus Ammon right within linear frame, B A P K around
    Ref: (which I have not checked) Müller MAA 301. Very rare.

-------------------------Warning! Extreme pedantism follows!----------------------------

Theophrastus (371-287 BC), mentions silphium several times in Historia Plantarum:

"In the Cyrenaica the cypress grows and the olives are fairest and the oil most abundant. Most special of all to this district is the silphium..."

He goes on to describe the physical characteristics and plant product preparation here and in the next three pages, noting that it grows wild and disappears upon cultivation of the land (although he further documents contradicting agricultural anecdotes). The plant appears to relatively new, or at least newly discovered: "The people of Cyrene say that the silphium appeared seven years before they founded their city; now they had lived there for about three hundred years before the archonship at Athens at Simonides."

Other online references mention legends that silphium was viewed as a "gift from Apollo".

An article by Henry Koerper and A.L. Kolls, "The Silphium Motif Adorning Ancient Libyan Coinage: Marketing a Medicinal Plant" had many interesting tidbits. It is available for downloading for $39.95 but you can get a free 5 minute peek (and that was enough time to screen cap the whole thing for more leisurely reading ;) )

Silphium Motif article abstract.jpg
    In addition to use as a food, the list of purported medicinal applications of silphium is long:

oral contraceptive and abortifacient
    treatment for abdominal pain
    treatment for alopecia
    treatment for anal exrescences and prolapse
    antidote for the poison of weapons, scorpion stings, snake bites
    treatment of asthma, bronchitis, coughs, horseness
    treatment of dog bites
    treatment of bruises and wounds (external application)
    a calefacient (warming) medicine
    treatment for carbuncles, chillblains, callosities, and indurations
    treatment of cardiac diseases
    treatment for coeliacus
    treatment of convulsions
    corn and wart removal
    promotion of digestion
    as a diuretic
    treatment of dropsy, jaundice, and other visceral affections including intestinal wounds
    treatment of epilepsy
    treatment of eye diseases
    for gynecological problems (menstrual problems)
    treatment for intestinal worms
    as a liniment for lumbago and sciatica
    treatment of mange
    treatment of nervous disorders
    treatment of opisthotonus
    pain prevention
    treatment of pleurisy
    treatment of quartran fever (malaria?)
    treatment of shivering
    treatment of sinew affections (tendonitis?)
    treatment of stomach colds (??)
    treatment for tetanus
    treatment for toothache
    treatment for ulcers
    treatment for inflammation of the uvula
    as a vaginal suppository (for menstrual disorders?)
    a veterinary medicine for sheep

Why did it become extinct? Speculative, but multifactoral: overharvesting due to exploitation of medicinal and veterinary uses. (Betcha it was really due to its reported aphrodisiacal qualities; some behaviors never change.)

Pliny the Elder supposedly said that in Roman markets, silphium was worth its weight in silver denari. I could not find such a quote in Pliny's writings on silphium. However, he does mention that it supposedly acts as a soporific for sheep. Goats, not so much. They just go into fits of sneezing. [note to self: if I bring back silphium à la Jurassic Park, and if I decide to raise goats, keep them away from the silphium.]

Map showing the location of Barce/Barke, from the article by Koerper:
    Map of Cyrene.jpg

Well, that's probably more than you wanted to know about silphium.

Gotta run... have to shop for groceries. I'm in the mood for braised fennel. :D

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great Greek, Princess ... very cool lil' coin

... sadly, I do not have one of these babies to show-off!!

Oh, and thanks for another great write-up and sweet map ...

NOTE: I am going to start using silphium to help relieve my occasional wagon-burn

TIF likes this.
  4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I have a cook book of Roman recipes. Some things are annoying to make - namely, garrum. Some ingredients, like lovage seeds, aren't available in supermarkets, but can be ordered from European garden supply shops. But silphium? Good luck finding an extinct plant for your recipe.

TIF likes this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I am loving your Roma writeups! Plant pedantism is the very reason I come to this forum.
    The coin's pretty nice too :p Let us know how the braised fennel turned out.

TIF likes this.
  6. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Awesome coin again TIF, well centered, very nice details,info and maps very well done. braised fennel is what we used in our sweet Italian sausage, really makes that sausage pop..:happy:.

TIF likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Mmm yes, nothing like sweet Italian sausage with fennel!

Have you tried any of these recipes? Any favorites you want to share?

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Garrum is pretty easy Bill, go to an asian market and get Nam Pla. Same basic product, and if needed you can add a few herbs the Romans used. North African silphium of course is extinct, but there is Asian silphium if you wanted to substitute.

Nice writeup TIF. I have always loved silphium and hope some day they find some in a remote oasis in Libya. I have quite a few Kyrene coins, but only a few with the Silphium plant depicted. Kyrenaica under Ptolemaic rule issued more coins, but unfortunately usually didn't depict silphium.

randygeki and TIF like this.
  9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That's a very nice coin! I had a similar reaction when I first discovered these silphium coins - I wanted to collect a nice example, but whoa Tanto, too pricey for this collector. And the pieces I could afford were just too decrepit. I think the detail on your piece is lovely. :)

TIF likes this.
  10. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I have a well-used bottle, but I've been wary of adding it to my Roman recipes. Last time tried Roman cooking I attempted to make my own. I didn't attempt fermentation, so I ended up boiling anchovies for a while. Unfortunately, the recipe called for FRESH anchovies, and I inadvertently used SALTED, when the recipe called for adding a whole cup of salt! Yuck.

This is the book I have: http://www.amazon.com/Taste-Ancient-Ilaria-Gozzini-Giacosa/dp/0226290328 I particularly liked the pepones (cantaloupe in a vinagrette) and epityrum (seasoned olive paste), but I have many more to try.

TIF likes this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

TIF likes this.
  12. John Anthony

No, it's a guy with a foot fetish.

TIF and chrsmat71 like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

You guys need to stop tempting me with books, it's taking away from coin funds! :D

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

You're thinking of a pedantatrist.

chrsmat71 and John Anthony like this.
  15. John Anthony

haha - you actually suckered me into looking that one up.

TIF likes this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's hard to believe! Do by chance have an open bottle of glue nearby?

17. John Anthony

I haven't kept current on the latest fetish nomenclature. :oldman:

18. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i never post without it!

[​IMG]

stevex6, Ardatirion and TIF like this.
  19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

John Anthony and chrsmat71 like this.
  20. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Outstanding!!!!!!

TIF likes this.
  21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I'd love to see an ancient themed restaurant! For my nutrition class, I did several paper on ancient diets, including one on the benefits of garrum :D If you plan on making some, expect complaints by neighbors.

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted