ancients in local sale. Help Please

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Beardigger, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

These ancients are in a local sale. Any information you can give me about them would be appreciated. I have not dabbled in ancients so I have no knowledge, these are part of a coin lot that has other stuff I'm interested in. Any input is appreciated. Thank You!

ancients.jpg
    ancients1.jpg

finny and Pellinore like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Those are common and low grade. They are the kind people buy by the pound for pennies each.

DonnaML, philologus_1, finny and 2 others like this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bid on them. All very common late romans in bad condition.

Beardigger likes this.
  5. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

These are Late Roman bronzes from the fourth century AD in pretty abysmal condition. They aren't worth much of anything really. You can easily get examples of these types for a few dollars each.

DonnaML and Beardigger like this.
  6. Beardigger

Great! Thank you for letting me know! I appreciate the protection from myself LOL!

7. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

If you are interested in other coins in a lot with these coins. You can assign them no value and give them to young coin collectors. I was in the 8th grade when I bought my first ancient for $1. It was the oldest coin in my collection by 1500 years.

finny likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If you just want to have some ancient coins to have some ancient coins, perhaps a buck or two each.

9. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

The one on the top right looks to me to be a Roma commemorative with a two soldiers reverse. It’s a bit uncommon. I might go five bucks on that one.

10. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

And there's a good chance that the one on the lower left is a barbarous imitation. All four coins are from the 4th century A.D. If you can get them for $1 or $2 each, it might be a great way to start collecting ancients.

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

A learning lesson for me also thanks everyone.

12. Beardigger

Thanks everybody for the input. I will probably end up with these coins just because they are in a lot with some other non ancients I want, if the lot doesn't go too high.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted