Ancients => I finally scored a Hut-coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Feb 9, 2016.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ancients => I finally scored a Hut-coin ($22 US ... delivered)

For whatever reason I have avoided snagging one of these very common types (ummm, maybe it's the creepy dude draggin' the wee lil' captive out of the hut!!?)

... anyway ...

I figured that this was a nice enough price for a coin from my favourite dealer, so I went for it!!

Constans AE3
    Date: 337-350 AD
    Diameter: 19.6 mm
    Weight: 4.7 grams
    Obverse: D N CONSTANS P F AVG - Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Constans, holding globe
    Reverse: FEL TEMP REPARATIO - Soldier, holding spear, leading barbarian from hut under tree
    Reference: RIC 103 (Aquileia?)

Constans Hut Guy a.jpg Constans Hut Guy b.jpg

... hey, please feel free to post your Hut-coins and/or any of your Constans examples (or pretty much whatever you want to post ... I'm easy)

:woot:

Cheers, coin gang!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey, I realize that this baby isn't top-shelf, but I figured that it has all of the letters and it also has a pretty crisp reverse (well, except for the mint mark ... a flaw, I admit)

Again => overall, I figured that this was a solid purchase and a tick in the ol' coin-column (Hut-coin, tick!!)

Okidoki likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Cool addition, my only "hut".

[​IMG]
    Constans (337 - 350 A.D.)
    Æ2
    O: DN CONSTA-NS PF AVG, Pearl diademed, draped and and cuirassed bust left, holding globe in right hand.
    R: FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO, Helmeted soldier,spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small figure from a hut beneath a tree.
    (mint of Cyzicus), 4th offincia. SMKΔ
    4.5g

5. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

You asked for hut(t) coins :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

:eek:

6. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Constans
    Coin: Bronze Centenionalis
    D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG - Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand.
    FEL TEMP REPAR-ATIO - Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards and to the left.
    Mint: Thessalonica (348-350 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 4.45g / 23mm / -
    References:
    • RIC VIII Thessalonica 118
    • LRBC 1636
    • BW Ref: 145 029 095
    Notes: May 28, 15 - Wildwinds suggests this should be billon. This is silvered bronze.

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm on a roll right now for a speech I'm writing but I really like your example Steve - the portrait and reverse are very sharp. Is that a die crack in the reverse field? I have one or two to share...but later.

I also like how the eye in your coin seems to be looking at me.

stevex6 likes this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

hey Jango => is that Jabba coin a "real" coin?

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> I don't have the coin "in-hand" yet (I was assuming that it was a die crack) ... I'll ask my dude and get back to you

cheers, Jwt

Jwt708 likes this.
  10. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I can't find it in RIC. I'm loving it though - facing portrait in very fine style.

John Anthony and stevex6 like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Is that a die-crack in the second "A" of JABBA?

;)

GregH and Jwt708 like this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

FYI, Jwt => Batman (Dionysos, my favourite) is claiming that it is a die-crack (in his opinion)

batman a.jpg

... I have pretty solid faith in the dude (plus, the coin is $22 delivered)

;)

Jwt708 likes this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Neat! That coin is very much worth the price. One of the things I love about LRBs is that great examples can be had at very modest prices.

stevex6 likes this.
  14. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My guess is RIC 92 Constantinople BUT I do not like coins that make me guess so I would not have bought it. I'm glad you are more reasonable than I am. It is pretty in many ways.

stevex6 likes this.
  16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coin little brother. I especially like the "high" flat top on the figure in the hut.

stevex6 likes this.
  17. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice coin! It looks like the mint mark could be deciphered with a higher resolution image. There appears to be enough letters to make it out.

stevex6 likes this.
  18. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Thats a great hut. Looks like they are about to cross the street.

stevex6 likes this.
  19. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Ah, a fine coin and a good ol' LRB mintmark mystery! I can't tell from the pics, but I'd bet some money on Doug's guess. Maybe when you get the coin in hand you'll be able to figure it out? This page here has a fantastic summary and gallery of hut coins:
    https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/hut_coins.html
    I've got one but don't have a pic of it. I need to photograph more coins!

stevex6 likes this.
  20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice one!

stevex6 likes this.
  21. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

If someone has Bruck's book, you should be able to identify the mint from the leaves. Mine is buried somewhere and no time to look it out.

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted