[ancients] Happy Birthday, Septimius Severus!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Apr 11, 2014.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Happy Birthday, Lucius Septimius Severus!!

Lived : 11 April 145 - 4 February 211
    Reigned : 14 April 193 - 4 February 211

sepsevport.jpg

Instead of rehashing his wikipedia entry, I thought I would put up 10 totally random bits of trivia about our birthday boy. Enjoy!

1) There is some disagreement as to Septimius Severus's appearance. Cassius Dio describes him as a small man, while the Historia Augusta says he was of huge size. Most sources however will agree that he had a very nice beard.

2) He is said to have been a small eater, and often went without meat in his meal, though once in Nicaea he craved for mullet. He was also very fond of his "native beans".

3) During the course of his reign, he heavily debased the fineness of the denarius, from 81.5% to 56.5%. I suppose something had to pay for all those beans.

4) He was one of the most militarily vigorous emperors, crushing the rebellious Byzantians, the Parthian empire, various Arab tribes, the Assyrians at Adiabene, the Caledonians in Britain, as well as the Roman Senate for good measure. Admittedly, his campaign-related expenses are the more likely reason for his debasement of the denarius.

5) RIC notes that his coins prior to 200 AD were struck on "singularly small, thickish flans". Accordingly, this should be known as his Dumpy Flan period.

6) Several authors claim Septimius Severus spoke Latin with an African accent. Anthony Birley in his book Septimius Severus: The African Emperor suggests that 'Sheptimiush Sheverush' is how he may have pronounced his name.

7) He visited the famous Colossi of Memnon in Egypt to hear the 'singing' of the oracular "Vocal Memnon". The massive stone statue was reputed to produce a whistling song at various times of the day. Severus heard nothing.

8) Cassius Dio records that shortly before his death, Severus sent for the urn that would contain his ashes and remarked, “Thou shalt hold a man that the world could not hold.”

9) Muammar Gaddafi apparently did not like his fellow Libyan. He had a bronze statue of Septimius Severus which had stood in Tripoli's main square since 1933 pulled down and dumped into a rubbbish heap.

10) The most expensive Septimius Severus coin in acsearch records is this 'Ship in Circus' aureus which sold for EUR 240,000 (approx USD 333,000) :
    http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=706045
    I'm not sure if this is THE most expensive Septimius Severus coin, but if you have one that's pricier, this is the thread to post it. :)

TJC, Yozz1, Orfew and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

I don't have very many Septimius Severus coins, but here's my favorite one. Please post your own favorites!

sepsev400.jpg

SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    Denarius
    3.41g, 19mm
    Rome mint, 200 - 201 AD.
    RIC 160, C 203.
    O: SEVERVS AVG PART MAX, Head laureate right.
    R: FVNDATOR PACIS, Severus, togate and veiled, standing left holding branch and roll.

TJC, Orfew, Nathan401 and 8 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Build a large boat and get ready for the flood! Martin and Doug can keep us entertained for months with Septimius alone.

I only have one but wouldn't mind a few more. It's from the Stack's mixed lot.

SeptimiusSeverusDenariusMed.jpg

Orfew, Curtisimo, Ryro and 6 others like this.
  5. zumbly

Those with more Septimius Severus coins than the average museum could perhaps whittle it down to their favorite 5 (or 50) :D

TJC and Orfew like this.
  6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Septimius Severus denarius
    Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG, Laureate head right
    Rev:– FIDEI LEG TR P COS II, Fides standing left holding Victory and standard
    Minted in Alexandria. A.D. 194
    Ref:– RIC 349

2.25g. 18.71mm. 0o

[​IMG]

TJC, Orfew, Curtisimo and 7 others like this.
  7. maridvnvm

Obv:– IMP CA L SE SEV PER AG COS II, Laureate head right
    Rev:– FORT REDVC, Fortuna standing left, holding long scepter & cornucopia
    Minted in Emesa, A.D. 194
    References:– RIC -. BMCRE -. RSC -.

3.17g, 18.54mm, 0o

This is an unusual legend with several spelling errors. It is an obverse die match to a coin in the Doug Smith collection and to three other examples in my own collection.

[​IMG]

8. maridvnvm

Obv:– L SEP SEVERVS PER AVG PIV IMP XI PAR P M, laureate head right
    Rev:– AR AD [T]R P VI COS II P P, Victory walking left, holding wreath in right hand, palm in left
    Eastern mint. A.D. 198
    Reference:– BMCRE page 280 *, citing RD page 105. RIC 494a corr.

[​IMG]

Orfew, Curtisimo, Ryro and 6 others like this.
  9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great read, Z, thank you. I've over-posted my two coins of S. Severus, so I'm going to hang back and watch. There's no telling how long this thread is going to get once Doug and Martin are through with it. :)

zumbly likes this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Interesting tidbits of information Z. Here are a couple of my favorites.
    Septimius_Severus 7_opt.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: FVNDATOR PACIS, Septimius, togate and veiled, standing left holding olive branch
    Struck at Rome, 202-210 AD
    3.3g, 18mm,
    RIC 265, RSC 205, BMC 330

Septimius_Severus 8_opt.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: INDVLGENTIA AVGG, IN CARTH in ex, Dea Caelestis in elaborate headdress riding right on lion, holding thunderbolt & scepter; below, water gushing from rocks left
    Struck at Rome, 204 AD
    3.5g, 18mm
    RIC IV 266

TJC, Orfew, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
  11. zumbly

Wow, Bing, those two are nice!
    And Martin's are clearly part of a connoisseur's collection. Now let's see Doug's and everyone else's.

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]

My very first ancient.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

interesting...beans hu? i bet ol' septimius farted like a howitzer.

everyone is probably sick of seeing this coin, but i'm going to post it again anyway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TJC, Orfew, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

pontosd.jpg pontosc.jpg

=> Happy belated birthday, Sep-Sev

Curtisimo, Ryro, Bing and 3 others like this.
  16. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

What a great write-up. Thank you.

Here's a cute little video on the man:

Here's a coin from one of his early rivals currently residing with me:

ClaudiusA.jpg ClaudiusB.jpg

Clodius Albinus (AD 195-197). AR denarius (2.69 gm). Lugdunum (Lyon). Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Aequitas, draped, standing facing, head left, holding scales and cornucopia. RIC 13a var. (laureate only).

guy

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    TJC, Orfew, Curtisimo and 4 others like this.
  17. Bing

Nice coin Bart. I need one of these.

18. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I couldn't pass up this denarius as the price was right, so I've now joined the Septimius Severus duplicate club:

[​IMG]

And my other example, from a different pair of dies:
    [​IMG]

TJC, Orfew, Curtisimo and 4 others like this.
  19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm sure Martin and Doug will support you on this. You must collect one of each die and then early, middle, and late die states for each. Barbarous imitations are optional. :D

Nice pair! Congrats on the addition.

20. Bing

Very nice AJ. I don't think I've seen anything but extraordinary coins from you.

21. jessvc

jessvc Active Member

Nice info.... And coins :)

Draft saved Draft deleted