Ancients: Guess the Ruler

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, May 29, 2014.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Thought I'd start a little game here.
    Post a ruler's bust/face and people have to guess to which ruler it belongs to. The one who guesses right posts their own ruler for the rest to guess, and then the cycle repeats. If a ruler proves difficult to guess, the host for that round, if they desire, may reveal hints/clues as to who it is. No prizes are at stake; its all in the name of fun :). I'll begin...

[​IMG]

panzerman and TIF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I need a clue.

4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Yo yo Johannes? At least one of his contemporaries. The portraiture of this period doesn't really distinguish.

stevex6 likes this.
  5. ValiantKnight

You're good Ardatirion. I was expecting a bunch of Honorius/Arcadius/Theodosius guesses. Johannes it is:

[​IMG]

You're up now. If you don't want to post a ruler, someone else can host the round if they'd like.

panzerman and Alegandron like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Seriously? Which of the three had facial hair?

Ardatirion likes this.
  7. ValiantKnight

Figured since the beard is not very obvious on mine and, beard-aside, having the generic late Roman bust, most people would just guess the most common late emperors.

iamtiberius likes this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet win ... this is fun!!

=> bring-it, Ardy!! ..... maybe I'll score a Constantine the Great!!

:woot:

*Saturday-morning-stevex6-self-sensor*

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

im in ...when I can get online..will be spotty for a while.

10. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Well that's a good point. I shouldn't have second guessed myself.

Doug, I'll cede my turn to you, since I'm out of town and responding from my phone. Pick a tough one!

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

who01.jpg
    I don't have any hard ones. I will give a hint with this one: It is NOT Septimius Severus. I know there will be someone guess that and I really wanted to sneak Septimius in but this is not he.

stevex6 likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

New Rule: Only one guess per person in 24 hours. No fair running a list of people figuring one has to be right.

13. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Constans?

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Constantius II?

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I probably would have guessed at Constantius II, but since little brother has already picked that one, I will say Gratian.

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I also think it's Constantius II but since he's been guessed, I'll say Constantine II.

I wonder also if Doug flipped the image so that the bust is left rather than right...

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No, no and Doug considered flipping it so it would be right instead of left but he decided that some would cry foul so he didn't. He also considered using Photoshop to put the wrong nose on the portrait but even he is not that nasty. What he did do is blur out a letter of the legend that was close to the head but would have given a clue to who it was by the placement. For example, Constans, who this is not, often has an N-S split near the top of the head that are rather telling.

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Summarizing: This is no son of Fausta and not Gratian. I will be out most of the day demo-ing my daughter's kitchen in preparation for a remodel job so I won't be available for answers. It is amazing to me how tough this turned out to be. I thought it would be too easy.

20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

X => Constans
    X => Constantius II
    X => Gratian
    X => Constantine II

.... ummm, has it been 24 hours yet? (I have another pick) ...

you and your rules (*sigh*)

:(

21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

constantius ii was my first thought...but considering who has already been guessed, i'll go constantius gallus.

Draft saved Draft deleted