[Ancients] Guess the Cointalker 2021 (Master Thread)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Feb 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Sounds great! I look forward to seeing your post when you get them :)

Not true! I’ve said many times that a good answer is better than a correct answer as far as the game goes. It is the good comments, thoughtful guesses and shared interest in coins that are posted that make the game fun. Otherwise it would just be a stale “pick a number” game.

You consistently commented, participated and posted coins and photos and are just as deserving of a prize as anyone. The FFIVN Collection will continue to grow this year :happy:.

Lol. A well deserved Method Award I would say :D:hilarious:

Thanks Sulla. I love the graphic and the quote :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Well I know it isn't quite my turn to choose but I am not going to be choosing a coin since, like I said, I didn't get a single stinking one right!
    Instead, I would love to have a donation. My wife's best friend just lost her mother to breast cancer a few weeks ago. She was only 59. This woman was an absolute joy to be around and was like a second mother to my wife. If we could donate that $25 to the Susan G. Komen breast cancer research center in her honor, it would really mean a lot to my wife, her friend, and of course me. :)

4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I can’t believe you never posted this beauty! Now that the game coins have been revealed I am going to post mine until you all get very very tired of it :angelic::D

As I said in my above explanation about the tricky-ness of the volunteers in 2021 I intentionally picked a coin that I thought was a good overlap between my collection and one of the volunteers. Of the coins I have never posted I thought that this one was the best option as it is close to your collection style :)

Here they are side by side.
    B7CCA323-33EA-4F89-8648-A065B4C1FC1F.jpeg
    3A0C799B-5372-4C81-A72A-5249F954093A.jpeg

It is interesting to think these coins were probably struck in the same place 2300 years ago! Your example is wonderful. I love the reverse especially. I am flattered people thought my coin was yours and that some people thought your beautiful new Electrum was mine. All in all I would have loved to be the owner of any of the 5 and actually do own a very similar coin to @Parthicus ‘s Amisos. All the volunteers have great taste in coins.

07BF323E-A907-4535-A0A9-C52588B7B3D7.jpeg

I also greatly enjoyed our conversation as the game progressed. It was hard not to drop hints. :)

I love the breakdown of some of these really great guesses. I too was very surprised at how some members not only connected you to the coin but also correctly guessed that it was an early MD find. It is an hefty, stylish and excellent coin with a nice patina. The story and the fact that you found it, of course, makes it priceless. I especially loved your entry even if several folks were able to connect the dots.

I wanted really badly to play something like this as my entry knowing some guessers might be misdirected to guess you.
    B6D150E9-A18D-4CB5-84B0-CEF478E99CB9.jpeg
    I couldn’t find a suitable coin I hadn’t posted yet though.

Thank you for volunteering for the game! Thanks also for volunteering to post a prize for a future game. This has been a fun opportunity to interact with you and some other members I haven’t had as much a chance to interact with previously. Good fun and I was glad to have you as a volunteer for the game.

5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Of course. Consider it done. :)

6. furryfrog02

Greatly appreciated!

7. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

I would appreciate this as well. I love surprises!

Thanks to @Curtisimo for another awesome round of Guess the Cointalker! I’m surprised I got three right! I think it was the last time I got a big goose egg. So, I’m improving. Lol

Im glad Herbert got to take part too. He’s chilling on his new hammock that my nephew got him.

Thanks to all the participants, you have awesome coins!

Thanks to everyone who donated prizes! Your generosity is much appreciated!

Thanks to all for making this game so much fun!!

Ancient coins FTW!

Erin

8. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who was part of the contest this year, I had fun again participating even if I didn't manage to fool that many people. What I posted about the coin was entirely accurate: It was part of the initial group at a local coin store that first got me into ancients (even before I moved into Parthian and other "Eastern" specialties), and the obverse did make me think of a face in a flower. I was hoping that Hellenistic Greek is different enough from my usual that it would confuse more guessers, but unfortunately I'm eclectic enough that no ancient coin would be completely unlikely in my collection. I was considering posting a Chinese coin (I've got a bunch that I've never posted), but that is pretty "Eastern" so it might have backfired.

I've fallen a bit behind in posting my newest coins, but here is a sneak peak at what I will be posting full descriptions of when I get a chance:
    sneak_peak.jpg

9. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

What?! I won something?! Wohoo! Right now, I'm grinning like this Postumus and am about as happy as Felicitas on the reverse:
    Rom – Postumus, Antoninian, Felicitas.png
    Postumus, Gallic Roman Empire, AR antoninian, 263–266 AD, Trier mint. Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG; bust of Postumus, radiate, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: FELICITAS AVG; Felicitas, draped, standing l., holding caduceus in r. hand and cornucopiae in l. hand. 23mm, 2.71g. Ref: Mairat 265/317.; RIC V Postumus 58.

First of all, thanks so much for organizing this, @Curtisimo! You truly are the good soul of this board. Its obvious that a lot of effort went into this, and I guess I'm not the only one who really appreciates that.

As for the prize, I'd very much like to own a coin picked by you, so I'm chosing the mystery prize #3. Also, I of course insist on covering the international shipping costs – let's just PM about the details.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  10. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Hey @Johndakerftw - LoLLzz...Erin...Lookie!! The coin rainstorm keeps coming! Congrats!:smuggrin::p:D

Curtisimo and Johndakerftw like this.
  11. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

I’m truly overwhelmed!

Erin

Curtisimo and LaCointessa like this.
  12. LaCointessa

:hilarious::happy:

Curtisimo likes this.
  13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Sorry it took me so long to circle back to the thread I got tied up with some other tasks this afternoon / evening.

This is one of my favorite parts of these games. I have one particular charity that I tend to support most heavily and so it is nice to spread that around a bit to some others using the game as a good excuse to do so. Susan G. Komen is a great charity with a cause that anybody can feel good about supporting.

One of the great things about my place of employment is that they will match my charitable contributions. In the email I received from Susan G. Komen it said the Milburn Foundation does as well on their end. I ended up increasing my contribution from the original $25 so between me, my work and the Milburn Foundation our little game raised about $200 for breast cancer research. Big win!
    Susan_G_Komen_Donation.jpg

Excellent Erin :) When you get a chance please send a PM to @Theodosius with your shipping address. I look forward to your reaction and future post!

You are too kind my friend. In fact all of you are too kind :) Thank you all for the kind words. I appreciate them.

Of course I am only one piece of the game and this would never have been a success without our volunteers and especially our benefactors: @Theodosius and @Ryro . I must say I know what those guys have in store for their giftees and I am pumped to see the reactions :) Both great and generous gentleman.

...and a special nod to @Ryro for always cracking me up. The man has endearing and reckless confidence I will give him that. :D One thing is for sure, if you are throwing a party you would do well to make sure @Ryro is on the guest list :woot::woot::woot:.

I will hear no such nonsense about covering the international shipping. :rolleyes::p My games are always open to anyone, anywhere and its not a big deal to ship internationally.

That being said would you like to keep with the trend and be surprised when the coins arrive or reveal them?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

So that leaves @cmezner as our last but not least recipient of awesome gifts. :)

So what are you thinking @cmezner ... reveal or surprise? @Ryro has a bevy of numismatic excellence in store for you. :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Alegandron, Ryro, cmezner and 2 others like this.
  15. furryfrog02

@Curtisimo that is absolutely amazing! That means a lot to both me and my wife. She will let her friend know today. Thank you so much!

16. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

I love surprises above all :happy: and since I didn't guess not even one LOL, I am really most surprised:happy:

17. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

You and I are in the same boat! I got skunked last year as well:facepalm:
    Please PM my your address and I will get your prize on it's way:happy:

18. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Will PM you right away :happy:

Claudius_Gothicus, Ryro and Curtisimo like this.
  19. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Whoo-hoo! It’s going to be fun to follow along in a few weeks when the surprises start rolling in! :)

20. LaCointessa

Maybe while we wait, we could play another game - a casual game where no one has to keep score. We could try to use the clues left about each mystery prize coin and put our guesses here in this thread. I think I have an idea about one or two of them. :)

Ryro and Curtisimo like this.
  21. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

That does sound like fun.

LaCointessa, Ryro and Curtisimo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted