Ancients: Group Lot Fun!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Whizb4ng, May 24, 2014.

1. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I took a page out of TIF's book and bought a group lot of 16 coins for myself from the CNG sale. As many have known I am potentially having a small stint of unemployment looming but the wonderful person my GF is she ordered me to use a portion of my tax return for coins.

After getting sniped 6 times on CNG for single coins this group lot was my last resort. I like this lot because I am still not quite at the stage where I can spend 200+ dollars on a single coin. I might get there one day but in the meantime buying 16 coins I can handle. Unfortunately, many will be going to new homes because the easiest way for me to justify spending the money is the fact that I will be able to recuperate some of it. I must admit it will be tough to choose.

I will update this thread throughout the day as I get more pictures and attributions. The GF is away for the weekend for her sisters birthday so I get to catalog coins and watch the UEFA Champions League Final!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can tell you right off the hop the Diocletian from Carthage is definitely sticking with me!

Bing, RaceBannon, zumbly and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice lot! I like the trajan and the republic coin.

Whizb4ng likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Hey Whiz, nice looking set of coins. Some very interesting. When you decide to sell, let us know. There are at least two I would love in my collection if the prices are right. I'll be waiting for your attributions.

Whizb4ng likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice lot! I love that Republican (Bing and I can arm wrestle for it :D)

Whizb4ng likes this.
  6. Bing

I would suspect Whiz will keep it, but if not, there will be more than you and me wrestling. Mat says he had dibs. He'd better strengthen that arm first.

Whizb4ng likes this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow => nice score, Manitoba!!

Ummm, I think that they're all chanting for your sweet RR ...

M. Caecilius Q.f. Q.n. Metellus AR Denarius
    Rome mint
    127 BC
    Diameter: 18 mm
    Weight: 3.89 grams
    Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma right; star on neckpiece of helmet, mark of value below chin
    Reverse: Macedonian shield with elephant's head in central boss, surrounded by laurel wreath
    Reference: Crawford 263/1a; Sydenham 480; Caecilia 29

M caecilius too.jpg

M. Caecilius Q.f. Q.n. Metellus
    (Restored issue) AR Denarius

M caecilius.jpg

... the bottom "Restored issue" is my coin (the other coin, similar to your new sweety is not my coin ... sadly, I was outbid on that beauty)

=> congrats on a very cool bunch of coins and especially on that sweet RR!!

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I like that Trajan/Zeus Ammon too.

Whizb4ng likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I see more than the average interest in more than half of these coins. Take care not to sell them off until you research them.

Whizb4ng likes this.
  10. Bing

Oh c'mon. That's another I'll have to wrestle you for sister.

Whizb4ng likes this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Man, I'd better hit the gym! ;)

Whizb4ng and stevex6 like this.
  12. Whizb4ng

Thanks for the kind words! Please let me know if you think I have made a mistake in any of the attributions. I am lazily attributing them while watching the soccer game.

Diocletian AE Follis. AD 299-303 Carthage Mint
    Obv. IMP DIOCLETIANVS PF AVG, laureate head right
    Rev.SALVIS AVGG ET CAESS FEL KART, Carthage standing left, holding fruits in both hands, A in ex.
    RIC VI 31a, Cohen 438.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RaceBannon, Gil-galad, vlaha and 5 others like this.
  13. Bing

I think Doug has the right of it. There are a lot of coins of interest in this lot. Congrats Whiz.

Whizb4ng likes this.
  14. Bing

Nice encrustations that seem to highlight the coin in just the right places.

Whizb4ng likes this.
  15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Some really neat ones in there

Whizb4ng likes this.
  16. Whizb4ng

So, I may have accidentally taken a nap :oops: Partook in a little bit too happy juice last night.

Here is a close up of the RR denarius Steve kindly ID'd for us
    M. Caecilius Q.f. Q.n. Metellus Denarius. 127 BC.
    Helmeted head of Roma right, ROMA behind, star below chin
    M•METELLVS•Q•F•, legend around Macedonian shield on which there is an elephant's head, all within laurel wreath.
    Cr263/1a; Syd 480.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit: Some additional info on the coin I found on Forvm quoting David Sear. The moneyer was son of Q. Caecilius Metellus Macedonicus, who defeated the Macedonian pretender Andriscus in 148 B.C. This type is an early example of a moneyer commemorating his family history on the coinage." -- Roman Coins and Their Values by David R. Sear

Gil-galad, chrsmat71, TIF and 3 others like this.
  17. Whizb4ng

Next up is the little quinarius on Augustus. I really like this coin and overall it is in good condition. I just find the toning so unattractive and there is a little bit of green on the reverse.

Augustus AR Quinarius. ca 21 BC.
    Obv. AVGVSTVS, bare head right
    Rev.Victory standing left on prow, holding wreath & palm.
    RIC 474, RSC 328.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Gil-galad, chrsmat71, TIF and 3 others like this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice => sounds like fun ...... yup, there is nuthin' better than partying it up on a Friday night and then sneakin' a cat-nap on Saturday afternoon (one of the good things in life!!)

Hey Whiz => great coins, so far ... you must be very happy with your new score, eh? (curious, but none of my biz => but was your winning-bid "thrifty"?)

... so, are you gonna go out and do it all over again tonight, or are ya layin' low and watching some TV and taking 'er easy tonight?

Cheers, brother

Whizb4ng likes this.
  19. 1 of 2 (don't have a picture of one, yet)
    Metellius denarius.PNG

picture is from the seller
    I like steve's toning and condition more
    Hey steve, wanna trade? :happy:

20. Does your like mean yes? lol

Whizb4ng likes this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

iamtiberius => I am flattered that you like my example ..... and although I think that your coin is absolutely superb, I really have a problem letting-go of my coins (I really am the dude that adopts for life) .... but again, thanks for the offer (your coins are always gonna get a "like" outta me!! ... you have great taste, my coin-friend)

cheers

Whizb4ng likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted