*Ancients Giveaway!* For New Ancient Collectors in 2018

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Justin Lee, Sep 18, 2018.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Points well taken, Justin. That is what really matters. Thank you.

TIF and Justin Lee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

I suppose it is nice of you but with the way i was brought up , in numismatics, nothing is free and if it is, there has to be a catch to it ... I never really got into ancients and therefore really never bought any unless i could trade them for dates i wanted in my australian penny and shilling collections.... They are just for history buffs and the amount of study needed is way too much for what the items are valued at... Lastly as the upcoming generations are not interested at all, i feel coins etc will die with this generation in here... Those are my thoughts of the hobby and where it will go. Dooowwwwnnnnn the drain. Personally i love coins and stamps as they are better than women or girlfriends..Reason is that they appreciate with age ( generally ) and never answer back...lol But as my kids dont want them and say " what do we want with that edited: read rules please dad" , i assume other kids of other collectors of today and yesteryear are the same....Geez i love the USA 1st ammendment!!!..I know you lot are going to disagree with what i say as you like to be like sheep and follow everyone else as you may not like to be corrected by others. Have a lovely day with your ancients...lol

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2018
  4. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Everyone knows heads always wins;).
    In all seriousness though I'm happy for you and your son @furryfrog02 ! You are raising him right and I could not have thought of a better person to win such a great prize. I hope your son enjoys the coins!

5. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Thank you @Justin Lee that means alot to me!

6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That's a superb Trajan denarius, @NLL ! I'm glad you're back from your low period. Ancient coins always cheer me up. Actually, an ancient coin collection helped save my life—but that's a story I'll tell again later on. All I can say is don't give up. Even though you may not have the funds to buy more coins right now—study the coins you have and learn everything that you possibly can about them. In the long run it will make you a better collector. In 20 years when you have so many ancients that you won't know what to do with them all—you'll look back to this time nostalgically.

7. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I think coins have saved my life. It really is the only thing to live for.

8. Deacon Ray

Ancient coins are one of many things to live for. I have a feeling things are going to get a lot better for you, my friend! Don't give up before the miracle happens!

9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. I fell into coins in a similar fashion. I'm glad I did because I've met some amazing people. If you are ever feeling down and need to bend someone's ear, always feel free to hit me up.

TIF, NLL, Deacon Ray and 1 other person like this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I'm trying to start my gradkids interested in ancient. @Deacon Ray got them started with a small collection. It's sorta taking off from there. Funds are low and i'm not so knowledgeable with these types. Got them a few books from the library to help them out. These children already are telling me stories about these coins. They have told me some mind blowing stuff. Once again i'll thank Deacon ray. I would love to give your coins a great home. Even if they only have a few. I think the books are working wonders. Thanks for your efforts

11. Cheech9712

Golf clap

12. Cheech9712

Oops. I also received some fossils and shark teeth in a contest from @lordmarcovan. That were gifted in raffle style to grandbabies. Now thats ancient. Thanks again lordmarcovan. @Justin Lee. I have no pictures. I gave the coins away. Darn

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  13. Cheech9712

Oops. Just saw this today. Darn

14. Cheech9712

Glad for you. Winner winner chicken dinner

15. Deacon Ray

Those are some fortunate kids, @Cheech9712 , because you sound like a fun grandma! I think you're doing a great job connecting them with history by using coins.

Justin Lee likes this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I think there has been lots of new interest here on the Ancients subforum, but lots of collectors who have been around for a while, just not here. I would have liked to see more posts on their coins...but the stories we did get were good. @furryfrog02 I'm so glad your kid got into them. My son thinks they're cool but moves on fairly quickly - maybe one day he'll get more interested. Heck I didn't get into coins until my late 20s and they weren't even ancients.

Justin Lee and furryfrog02 like this.
  17. Cheech9712

Hey i'm the winner. They sit right next to me with the books. I would pay for that if i had to

18. Cheech9712

I told my grandbabies that i think the horses were dragons. Thats all it took.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  19. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the offer! I will keep it in mind.

20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

21. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

So FurryFrog IVN and I received the coins in the mail the other day. We have been incredibly busy this week so only managed to sit down today to really look into them and ID them. We only did one today though since we were out feeding baby cows and picking apples at an orchard today :). The plan is to sit down and finish the other three tomorrow.
    @Justin Lee did a great job of not putting the coins with the IDs so that my son would have to work for his bread :)
    Of course, he wanted to start with the biggest one first. Luckily there were some great clues to help him out. There was a great, easily readable, name on the obverse and on the reverse we were able to see a bird. Once we were able to figure out what type of bird it was, we were in business.

He ID'd the coin as:
    Faustina II AE Dupondius
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right
    Rev: IVNO S-C, Juno standing left, peacock at her feet left
    RIC: 1647
    FFIVN1.jpg

Thankfully, when we checked Justin's ID, it matched :) He is looking forward (as am I) to working on ID'ing the other 3 coins.

Thanks again @Justin Lee for the contest and the generous gift!

Draft saved Draft deleted