Ancients: Gettysburg Show Newps

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

very nice finds!

John Anthony likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Do we get to see that one or is it the one I'll wish you left for me? I am very weak in Athenian bronzes!
    g01340bb0454.jpg g01350bb1156.jpg

The CII is nice for the price. I would have bought it if I saw it but the dealer sounds like one I'd miss since I generally spend myself out before checking the modern dealers.

I don't have the Postumus Providentia but won my 16th different one today and will share if and when it arrives. The list on Forvm gives 69 options so we have a long way to go to get a set if that were the intent (not). I am concerned after comparing my coins to that list that my better silver coins are not all early and more bronze ones all later as I would expect. The next thing would be to compare all the examples I find and see if certain reverses tend to be silver and others tend to be bronze. I only have one duplicate and the two (Moneta AVG) are not at all similar to each other making me wonder if that reverse made a double appearance. I like Postumus - such a handsome guy.

chrsmat71, Bing, John Anthony and 2 others like this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

you're correct, JA ... I paid quite a bit more for my lil' bee & eagle example (money well spent => it is one of those coins that always makes me smile when I see it)

... I love your new lil' coin (it's super sweet)

cheers

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Chamberlain protecting the 'flanking moment' by the South.....that's my remembrance of Gettysburg.......No flanking movement here John. Just pure connectable stock. Hoped to attend but was sadly unable. Another time? Gosh, I'd love to meet you my friend.......and on the 'battle field at that. Have experienced Saratoga. Gettysburg is a must do in the future.....

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I misspoke myself. The head of Athena made me say Athenian. It is Mysia, Pergamon. Here's a quick shot, didn't have time to properly image it. A common type, but in decent shape, and judging by a look at CNG hammer prices, I did not overpay. Athena + Trophy.

mysia1.jpg

mysia2.jpg

Eng, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  7. John Anthony

I'm going to hold you to that, Green. You're one of the few people on the forum I would like to meet in person.

green18 likes this.
  8. green18

So it's a must do. It will be inevitable.....:)

John Anthony likes this.
  9. green18

And since I'm Pennsylvania born and bred, it will happen.......:)

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My Postumus Providentia exhibits the less permed look with hair swept back away from the temples. Both styles are handsome, IMHO.

image.jpg

Eng, stevex6, Gil-galad and 1 other person like this.
  11. John Anthony

I live in Lancaster County, Green. If you're ever in the area, PM me and we'll have lunch, or coffee, or go to coin shops.

12. John Anthony

And your reverse is considerably better. I usually look for a balance between the sides, but the portrait on my coin spoke so strongly to me I was willing to live with the weak reverse.

13. green18

Of that you can count on my dear friend.......:)

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Hmmmm, I hope I'm one of the few......

John Anthony likes this.
  15. John Anthony

Yes sir! I really wish all of us ancients guys and gals on CT could convene in real life. That would be some party, lol.

16. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Count me in! I live in Lancaster, too.

green18 and John Anthony like this.
  17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

what a fantastic coin show score JA...cool athena, nice postumus, a super cool mini-coin, and the a great and weird LRB.

John Anthony likes this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

some sweet finds

19. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I doubt that I will get to meet most of the people I communicate with coins about as the majority are in the USA and I live in the UK. I used to spend a lot of time in the States but not so much any more. I did manage to spend a few hours behind the scenes in HJB chatting to Curtis Clay when I visited Chicago on business a couple of years back. That was a fascinating experience.

20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Very cool lil' bronze addition, my friend ... sadly, I don't have one of those sweet AE Mysia, Pergamon examples ... this silver sweetie is my only coin from that city

Mysia – PERGAMON,
    Cistophoric Tetradrachm

123 - 104 BC
    Diameter: 27 mm
    Weight: 12.4 grams
    Obverse: Cista mystica within ivy wreath
    Reverse: two serpents entwined around bowcase; BO above

Mysia Pergamon.jpg

... oh, and I hope that you two fun-lovin' coin-fellas get together and paint the town "green"!!

Eng, green18, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  21. John Anthony

I have to add a personal story to this thread. When the Gettysburg show was first announced, I had planned to attend, but then I realized it fell on the weekend my wife and I had planned a romantic getaway. So I put the show out of my mind.

It turns out we went antiquing in Harrisburg - there's a huge antiques mall in Lemoyne, and we had a great time there. She found a number of items to add to her collections, but there were very few coins to speak of, and they were grossly overpriced. When we were leaving she said, "It's too bad you didn't have a better selection of coins." Well, I took that as a cue, and told her about the Gettysburg show, which was only 35 miles from Harrisburg. She was actually upset with me for not saying so earlier, and insisted that we go.

Not only did she go to her first show, but she walked the bourse and collected a dozen coins of her own. I did not see that coming. I just need to say that I have the best wife in the world!

In particular, we had a very interesting and educational experience at Andy Singer's table. The man is more than happy to discourse at length on each and every coin in his inventory, and his knowledge is extensive.

Jwt708, chrsmat71, askea and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted