Ancients: Gettysburg Show Newps

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Sep 21, 2014.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Hello friends. I checked into the Gettysburg Show yesterday and spent a few hours examining about a hundred ancient coins, which was quite educational. With apologies to Doug for possibly swiping some pieces that he might have been interested in from his Baltimore dealers, I present to you my Gettysburg newps.

The first dealer I went to was primarily selling US and modern world, but he happened to have a folder of ancients. There was nothing I was interested in, but just as I was about to leave, he said he had another folder, although the coins were common and of a lesser grade. I'm glad I took a look at that folder, because although he had a substantial amount of common Constantine Dynasty bronzes in poor condition, I ran across this piece, which was completely out of place.

The "emperor leaning on spear and holding globe" device is much more common in the PRINCIPIA IVVENTVTIS types of Constantine II. The design on this coin, with emperor holding shield, is rare. RIC gives it an R4, and judging by what little research I've done on the internet, that rarity rating may be generally accurate. I have found none for sale, and none sold in auction histories. I'll be sending this image to Dane as well, since it is not listed on Wildwinds. What a nice coin to find for $20, a jewel stuck in the mud of a handful of common Constantinian junk. It's RIC VII, London, 136.

constantineIIpi.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    JBGood, Eng, randygeki and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That does happen, look through junk, find that one piece thats special and overlooked. Very cool and congrats.

John Anthony likes this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice sneaky find, JA (plus, it really is a total winner on looks alone ... great eye-appeal)

5. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I was gonna go to the Gettysburg show but uhh... I didn't.

Nice coin though.

John Anthony likes this.
  6. John Anthony

I thought so too, Steve. I would have taken it for $20 even if it was a common type, on looks alone.

7. John Anthony

It was a damn fine show, Josh - lots of dealers, lots of inventory. If they run it again, I'm going to stay at the hotel the entire weekend and pig out on coins.

Alegandron likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Interesting new purchase JA. Always liked the London minted coins.

John Anthony likes this.
  9. John Anthony

I've only started researching the Gallic emperors and their coinage, and I've been looking for a reasonably-priced ant of Postumus. This one fit the bill. The reverse is average for the type, and for Postumus reverses in general, but the style and strike of the portrait spoke to me very strongly...

postumus.jpg

Eng, randygeki, chrsmat71 and 6 others like this.
  10. John Anthony

Here's a very common ant of Maximianus. I didn't set out to buy this coin, but I was purchasing a more expensive Athenian bronze and the dealer offered to throw in this coin for $12.50 so why not? Of Maximianus, I have examples of a follis and reduced follis, so adding an ant made perfect sense. A reasonably nice ancient coin for the price...

maxant.jpg

Eng, randygeki, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  11. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Nice haul JA! I really like the patina on the obverse of that Const II.

John Anthony likes this.
  12. John Anthony

Here's one of those tiny Ionian bronzes, about 5mm - I was intrigued by the lilliputian dimensions. Bee + Stag. This coin refuses to be properly photographed, so I'll just give you pics on my finger for scale...

ionia1.jpg
    ionia2.jpg

Jwt708, Eng, randygeki and 5 others like this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Very, very cool lil' pick-up, JA (man, I absolutely love those sweet lil' Ionian bee-buggers!!)

=> congrats, brother!!

IONIA, Ephesos, AR Tetartemorion
    Circa 500-420 BC
    Diameter: 5 x 8 mm
    Weight: 0.17 grams
    Obverse: Bee
    Reverse: Head of eagle right within incuse square

Ionia Ephesos Tetartemorion.jpg

Eng, randygeki, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  14. John Anthony

Yours is much nicer than mine, but I'm sure you paid more for yours than I did for mine, which was $10. Maybe I'll upgrade to a better piece someday, but it was an impulse buy - I wanted to take it home and look at it more closely.

stevex6 likes this.
  15. Bing

I'll take it for 10 bucks.

16. John Anthony

Ok Bing - if I part with it, you'll be the first to know!

17. Bing

I'll hold you to it.

John Anthony likes this.
  18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great greek for $10 and love the look of the Maximianus.

John Anthony likes this.
  19. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

$20 for a coin like that from London and its a deal. Add in the rarer reverse and its a great pickup.

I went to a show today for giggles. Besides the one guy I sold late romans to, I only found about 10 for sale. Nothing in my collecting interest, so of course I bought one. Its an AE30, (CNG calls it a 8 Assaria) from Antioch with a temple of Tyche and river god, with Trebonianus Gallus. It was a touch more porous than I liked, but nice detail and $35. I figure $35 for a 30 mm provincial won't kill me. Here is CNG very nice coin of the same type:

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=124571

Of course that one is superior in almost every way, but mine would be a VF porous, so good enough for someone who doesn't collect them and just bought out of boredom. Doug will appreciate, though, its well centered. :)

John Anthony likes this.
  20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I'd nab it for $30 too. Most of the time, porous doesnt bother me.

21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Cool coin show pick ups, JA. That Constantine Jr is a find and a steal. Congrats!

John Anthony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted