[ancients] fun new lot of Alexandrian tetradrachms

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Apr 19, 2014.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A recent CNG auction had three large lots of later-date Alexandrian tetradrachms and the price was reasonable... The auction listing showed a third of them and they looked satisfactory.

They arrived unattributed-- yay! I really enjoyed putting Emmett's book to use.

As expected it is heavy with Probus, Diocletian, and Maximian but there some very nice ones of each. There are a few duplicates (and triplicate) but that's okay-- I can trade or sell some.

Here's the breakdown:

CNG-AlexTetList.jpg

Most of them had a sandy patina in the crevices. That is unusual for Alex tets. As I was examining them I scratched the beige patina with my fingernail. Soft, slightly oily, familiar...

It's makeup! A prior owner put Cover Girl on these coins!! :eek: Sheesh, why on earth would someone do that? It dissolved off with a few round of alcohol soaks although it took a toothbrush to get it out of all the little interstices. Added a couple of hours of cleanup time but there appears to be no damage.

Here's an example. Numerian with and without makeup:

CNG-Numerian-E4022-3-3-Obv-FakePatinaBeforeAfter.jpg

And a Constantius I reverse of Elpis, before and after makeup removal:

ConstantiusI-BeforeAfterMakeupRemoval.jpg

Group shot after makeup removal :):):) (the order does not match the list):

AlexTetLotCNG-group-obv.jpg
    AlexTetLotCNG-group-rev.jpg

There were two other lots of these which appeared to be from the same source. I hope the new owners of those lots clean the makeup off their coins!

Broucheion, Eng, Ripley and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice haul.

TIF likes this.
  4. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Wow, strange indeed! Numerian did suffer from an ailment which inflated his eyes so perhaps they thought some mascara would help...

TIF likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I find it interesting that the winner of this lot is probably the one among us who would recognize the lipstick on these pigs as makeup and that they look so much better after removal of the substance (not unlike many people I know who apply the material as thickly as was shown here).

Did you note the Constantius is the first legend missing the N? Cool. I see a couple others here that I would be glad to adopt but it is almost like they sorted out the ones I own for the group. I have not yet figured out the 2nd coin.

Broucheion and TIF like this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

This is how they deliver TIF's coins.

bern-coins-dumped-switzerland.jpg

zumbly, vlaha, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

With the impending ban on importation of Egyptian coins, I'm glad I bought these!

No, I had not noticed that! Thanks for the heads-up. As for the second coin, yep, that's an unknown. I took pictures tonight and hopefully will be able see more detail and narrow it down.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that strange Numerian story. Some historians relate that after falling ill with this eye infection, he had to be carried in a litter. Supposedly he was dead-- and being carried as if alive-- for a few days before the smell announced his demise. Eww.

Here's Numerian with the rest of his South Beach ensemble to complement the foundation. Full battle gear makeup :D

NumerianFullBattleGearMakeup.jpg

Eng, Ripley, randygeki and 3 others like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABULOUUUUUS!

[​IMG]

but that is a fantastic bunch of coin TIF, dang.

TIF likes this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:woot: => Holy smokes!! => that's a pretty impressive haul ya got there, Princess!!

Hey, I'm pretty sure that vlaha will gladly adopt a few of those babies, once he gets back from band-camp (man, all of your new pick-ups look lip-smackingly good!! ... congrats)

TIF likes this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice TIF. What more can I say. Way too many for me to buy all at once, but I'm certainly jealous.

TIF likes this.
  11. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

What a beautiful set of tetradrachms. I am surprised to see a Constantius I tet, however.
    He was busy in the West, fending the Empire from barbarian incurions.

I use this link for reference to Romano-Egyptian coins:
    http://www.coinsofromanegypt.org/html/collection.htm

guy

TIF and stevex6 like this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Here's the one I haven't yet been able to identify. Who do you think it is?

10.5 gm, 21 mm
    Youthful portrait, no beard and no side-whiskers (so probably not Gallienus unless the side-whiskers are just worn away)
    The larger size and portrait style rule out anyone later than Claudius II.
    The year looks like a delta but it could be a slanted and partially worn B (unlikely).

CNG-AlexTet-Unkn-Yr4-EagL-HeadR-WIB.jpg

Based on the reverse and using Emmett's book, possibilities include the following. Legends are included so that you can weigh in with your opinion (please :))
    • AKAICAPMAAVPANTωNINOCEVCEB, Elagabalus E2920
    • AKAIMAPAVPCEVHPAΛEΞANΔPOCEVCEB, Severus Alexander E3099
    • AVTOMAΞIMINOCEV(C)CEB, Maximinus E3276
    • ΟΓIOVΛOVHPMAΞIMOCKAI, Μαximus E3314
    • ΓIOVΛOHPMAΞIMOCKAI, Maximus E3314
    • ΓIOVΛOVHPMAΞIMOCKA, Maximus E3314
    • AKMANΓOPΔIANOCEV(CEB), Gordian III E3401
    • AKΠΛIOVAΛEPIANOCEVEVC, Valerian I E3705
    • AKΠΛIOVΓAΛΛIHNOCEVEVC, Gallienus E3728
    • ΠΛIKKOPOVAΛEPIANOCKAICCEB, Valerian II E 3764
    The next three are highly unlikely. The Severus Alexander with this legend is not known in year 4, only in year 5. The Philips have many years of this reverse but none known in year 4.
    • MAPAVPAΛEΞANΔPOCKAICAP, Severus Alexander E3074
    • AKMIOVΦIΛIΠΠOCEV, Philip I E3480
    • MIOVΦIΛIΠΠOCKCEB, Philip II E3587
    • MIOVΦIΛIΠΠOCKC(E), Philip II E3587

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  13. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Dang TIF you ID'd these quick! I didn't realize you had gotten that many tetradrachms. Was this one lot or two?

Also, I remember this CNG they had a lot of coins with 'artificial deposits added' I wonder if they were all makeup because they all looked similar to yours.

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

One lot. I have oodles of Alexandrian coins now and avidly seek more! 56 Roman Alexandrians (and counting) plus a dozen or so Ptolemies.

This particular listing mentioned "light deposits".

"Light beige Maybelline deposits", as it turned out. :D

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Broucheion likes this.
  15. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow TIF, i always say go big or go home, they all look very nice, awesome pickup..:cow:

TIF likes this.
  16. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

The portrait of that coin looks like it could be either Severus Alexander or Elagabalus. I am not expert enough in these to know.

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree (+ GordianIII) but am having trouble fitting either of the legends. However, none of the other legends seem to work either. I may never be able to definitively determine this coin's emperor, short of finding another one in better condition from the same obverse die.

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

• My guess
    • AKAIMAPAVPCEVHPAΛEΞANΔPOCEVCEB, Severus Alexander E3099

19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

• Thanks, Doug!

20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Man, whatever that coin is, I'm lovin' its cool autumn colours!! (congrats on a few dozen outstanding Alexandrian examples)

... geeesh, the most coins I've ever purchased in a lot is "4" measly coins (gutsy purchase ... I'm glad to see that it paid-off and that you're happy with your score!!)

21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I may soon need a 12 step program.

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted