Featured Ancients from the bottom up or tons of buns

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

As a lover of ancients I'm always trying to see things from top to bottoms. Butt sometimes there are certain asspects that I'd like to expose where experts seem far behind. A true study of the coins with an eye popping reverse. And I am not talking about the backside of a coin.
    So bare with me while we undress the issue of ancients (and moderns) fascination with the Maximus posterior:wideyed:
    To quote the preeminent womanologist and below the collar scholar, the Duke of badunkadonk, Sir Mixalot, "My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun!"

I am always happy when there is art to go with coins in my collection and yesterday I was fortunate enough to have the three Graces grace my collection with their booty... I mean beauty;):

AADA7C5F-AF7F-4811-95A5-D5B63D5524EE.jpeg

BC6DA092-35F3-4003-A3A8-95CF907CA5D3.jpeg

MOESIA INFERIOR, Marcianopolis. Julia Domna. Augusta, AD 193-217. Æ (25mm, 8.05 g, 7h). IOYΛIA ΔOMNA CЄ-B, draped bust right / MAPKIANOΠOΛЄITΩN, the Three Graces standing facing, heads right, left, and left, respectively; the first holds an amphora, the third holds a wreath. AMNG 605 var. (obv. legend); Varbanov 887 var. (same). VF

Of course there is the ever popular Julia Domna Apple bottom Venus:

FCDD1423-C46F-4281-84D7-32FCA16BC69E.jpeg
    (the wrong side of the Venus De Milo)

8C2D0356-05B4-401D-B8C0-43C57EEF08E9.png

Julia Domna, Augusta
    194 - 8 April 217 A.D.
    Silver denarius, weight 2.745 g, maximum diameter 18.4 m, Emesa (Homs, Syria) mint, 193 - 196 A.D.; obverseIVLIA DOMNA AVG, draped bust right, hair in waved horizontal ridges, bun at back of head; reverse VENERI VICTR, Venus standing right with back turned facing, nude to below the buttocks, resting left elbow on waiste high column, transverse palm frond in left hand, apple in extended right hand; RIC IV S632; RSC III 194; scarce;

Even if you're a Nemesis, with a dairy air so rare, we can be friends:woot:

5386BEC0-10FC-4DA5-9960-78D1DAFB887B.png

Vespasian
    (AD 69-79), AR Denarius (19mm, 2.95g), struck AD 73. IMP CAES VESP AVG CENS ,laureate head facing right / PONTIF MAXIM , Nemesis advancing right, pointing a caduceus at a snake below. RIC 544; BMC 97. Former Kairos Numismatik

And of course for our Greek friends I better throw in some more chiseled cheeks:

F955F981-3E50-40EB-9777-11F12718AFCA.png

Pamphylia. Aspendos
    370-330 BCE
    Stater AR
    22mm., 10,17g.
    Two wrestlers grappling; AΦ between / EΣTFEΔIIVΣ, slinger to right, triskeles in right field.
    very fine
    SNG France 83

Say what you want about those Satyrs they didn't skip glutes day!

075C6C8B-BD44-4928-A7C6-36AFDDFA0D41.png

Thracian Islands, Thasos(c.500-480 B.C.E.), Silver Drachm, 3.4g 16 MM. Naked ithyphallic satyr in a kneeling- running position right, carrying off in his arms a nymph, who wears robes and raises her right hand in protest. Rev. Quadripartite incuse square (BMC 12; SNG Copenhagen 1016).Broad flan

And lastly, the coin that gave me the idea for this thread (not mine sadly) due to the massive reverse, beat it if you can:

0A137112-C3E7-44DD-9B81-33EE9DF8126D.jpeg

So flaunt it if ya got it and show off those coins that show off that most excellent example of why sometimes the ends do justify the means!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

"Venus seminuda":

[​IMG][​IMG]

Note: Sulzer, likely working with a worn, off-flan, or illegible reverse, mistakenly read "VICTRICI" for the abbreviated "VICTR" on the coin.

Three Graces:

Domna Marcianopolis Three Graces.jpg
    Julia Domna, AD 193-211.
    Roman provincial Æ triassarion; 23.3 mm 8.55 g.
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis, AD 193-211.
    Obv: ΙΟVΛΙΑ ΔΟΜΝΑ CΕΒ, bare-headed and draped bust right.
    Rev: ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ, statuary group of the Three Graces side by side.
    Refs: SGI 2313; AMNG 603; Moushmov 417.

bcuda, Alegandron, randygeki and 16 others like this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..right now, i'm a nun...for i have none :p..but you know its true... fat bottom girls.png

bcuda, Ryro and Alegandron like this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great pick up Ryro, that three graces was one of the better quality coins in that auction.

Ryro likes this.
  6. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot of buns on my coins, but I've got a lot of male components. A few of Sol's member.
    Very nice coins! I do fancy a Julia Donna Venus coin. Eventually. :)

Ryro likes this.
  7. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

What’s the word again... callipygic?

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Great coins all! I would love to add a bootylicious coin to my collection but alas have not found one to my liking and in my price range yet.

Ryro likes this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

callipygian.

Ryro likes this.
  10. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you meant to say rear ends @Ryro

I'm not a huge collector of Roman coins but I do hope to add a nice As one day. I've been scouring the auctions holding out for that perfect specimen depicting the elusive and highly sought after figure known as Gluteus Maximus.
    Just like the others in my collection of ancient booty, you can rest assured I'll fondle it on a daily basis... and even photograph it when the mood is right =)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Justin Lee, Roman Collector and Ryro like this.
  11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Here is one.

vespasian ric 544.jpg

Attached Files:

TIF, Sulla80, bcuda and 12 others like this.
  12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

They just didn't feed their nymphs very much in Marcianopolis.

Commodus Graces d.jpg
    COMMODUS
    AE25. 7.69g, 25mm. MOESIA INFERIOR, Marcianopolis. H&J 6.10.26.4 (this coin illustrated); RPC IV online 4319; AMNG I 540; Varbanov 702 corr. (direction of heads). O: ΑΥ ΚΑΙ Λ ΑΥΡΗ ΚΟΜΟΔΟС, Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right. R: ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛƐΙΤΩΝ, the Three Graces standing facing, heads left, right, and right, respectively: the left holds oinochoe over dolphin, the center drapes arms over others, and the right holds wreath over oinochoe.
    Ex Dr. George Spradling Collection, ex Alexandre de Barros Collection (CNG E143, 12 July 2006, lot 115), ex CNG 47 (16 Sep 1998) lot 833

TIF, Curtisimo, bcuda and 13 others like this.
  13. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Very nice new pick up, @Ryro!

This bootylicious Venus type has been on my shortlist and last month came across this Domna sestertius at a great price, so I pulled the trigger. It arrived this past week, and I got home from a week vacay Saturday and was able to finally place my
    hands eyes on these buns this coin:
    [​IMG]
    Julia Domna, Wife of Sept. Severus,
    Empress 193-217 AD, AE Sestertius,
    Rome Mint, Struck 193-196 AD
    Obverse
    : IVLIA DO-MNA AVG, Bust of Julia Domna, hair waved and coiled at back, draped, right.
    Reverse: VENERI VICTR, Venus, naked to waist, standing left, holding apple in extended right hand and palm sloped over left shoulder in left hand, resting left elbow on column, S-C across fields.
    References: RIC IV 842
    Size: 30mm, 18.3g

It has a very dark green & red mottled patina on it, so to get the detail to show, I had to photograph it reflecting the sunlight directly. Here is a comparison of what it looks like without the reflection:
    [​IMG]

14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Wow @Justin Lee the difference is amazing. It looks like 2 different coins! Great booty, I mean coin :)

Roman Collector, Ryro and Justin Lee like this.
  15. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

I'll pull this one out again...

GadaraGordian3Graces.jpg Syria, Decapolis, Gadara. Gordian III. The Three Graces.

16. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Really happy with one coin acquired (will share later) in today's Ares auction, I was coming up short on all the others but fortunate to have picked up this little vulupsious snack to ease the burden of shipping...
    174BFEA7-45E9-42F0-B00A-5BE9CDFF6A4A.jpeg

TIF, Sulla80, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  17. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

Queen did it best with Fat bottom girls !

Ryro, Alegandron and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted