Ancients For Beginners

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GoldFinger1969, Dec 12, 2019.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I see that Heritage has some Ancients going off for auction tonight. Any of you bidding on stuff ?

I'm just looking as I am more of a Type Collector and want to start doing some preliminary work if something grabs me. I like "story" coins, but they can be pricey (i.e., Caligula).

Any suggestions besides scanning threads here on CT to get a bit of knowledge and up-to-speed in the next few weeks before FUN and the NY International Show appreciated.

Marsyas Mike and Deacon Ray like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

See what you like and do your research. Some of these story coins might not be obvious

4. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great to see you visiting the Ancients Forum, @GoldFinger1969 . Welcome!

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto

6. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys...there are some very interesting coins and stories out there in Ancients.

What I find different here from U.S. Coins is that to do some basic buying and research on U.S. coins (i.e., Saints, Morgans, etc.) you really don't need to be an expert on American history (it helps, but not essential).

Conversely, here...you really need to know Byzantine and Mesopotamia and lots of time periods that quite frankly unless you majored in them in college or for a PhD, you know nothing about.

Just scanning a few coins in the HA auction tonight....didn't even know who or what or where LUCANIA was referring to. :D

Stevearino likes this.
  7. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

check out vcoins. I've never used heritage just because stuff tends to end pretty expensive/majority are slabbed and it costs a ton to ship to me.

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Funny, I have my finger poised on the trigger to purchase a coin from Metapontum, Lucania. I don't know that you need to bring a working knowledge of history to Ancients numismatics. What you need to bring is a desire to learn about history. When I decide I may like a coin, I do my homework and find all I can about where that coin was struck.

Whatever you decide to purchase, I believe you will find pleasure in the research. I certainly do. Good luck

9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I also love story coins! They are not all expensive and some of them are downright inexpensive for how interesting they are.

I could tell you about the story of the first Jewish coin or of a coin struck with looted silver to fight a war with Hannibal or the mystery of a coin that was hated by the early Christians. However, because there is no reference book of “story coins” the real fun is discovering the story of a coin for yourself through research.

My advice is to find a coin that speaks to you visually or that comes from a time period that interests you and start looking into it. I bet you will find a good story more times than not. :)

10. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I want to second Curtisimo's advice. Just about any ancient coin has some interesting historical story behind it. Buy a coin that, for you, has a high "Whoa, cool!" factor and then research it, the location or emperor, and the time period.

Draft saved Draft deleted