Ancients: End of the year statistics

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Dec 29, 2013.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Since I count coins purchased as when they arrive not when they are ordered, I know that now my year 2013 is finished. It is time for some statistics. This was a big year. I added 107 coins to the collection which is very high for me with an average of 67 over the last ten years. It is hard to select a favorite from those. I have been working on a webpage showing my favorite 100 coins of the past 50 years in collecting which should make this easier but my favorites include a few listings where two or more coins share the position so I might have bought several examples in my 107 that would only occupy one position in the top 100. This is definitely the case with the Augustus/Agrippa/crocodile coins that consumed me last January. I'll show five coins which, today anyway, represent the 2013 purchases I am happiest to own. Order within the group is harder to pin down and none of them made my top ten of all time so maybe it was not such a great year after all. Presenting my five favorites of 2013:

#5 Mithradates II AR drachm
    This is definitely last in my group since I had a hard time separating it from a couple other 'also (not) mentioned' entrants. I have several Parthian drachms but this one is just plain pretty. It has wear but wear does not bother me as much as it does most collectors. At present it is still in my top 100 for all time but I suspect it will be bumped from that list soon (maybe before I finish the write-up if I'm lucky). It is also easy to photograph and that is a feature meaning more and more to me every time I get a pretty coin that resists my efforts with a camera.
    op0052bb3091.jpg

#4 Sinope AE30 Athena/Perseus killing Medusa
    This coin would probably rank higher were it not for the fact that I had a slightly better coin of the same type from Aspendos well before 2013. Someday I will get one with a more clear bloody scene on the reverse. Here you can see Medusa's head in Perseus' hand and a little bit of the dripping blood but this one is hardly gruesome enough to be a great coin.
    g01505bb3106.jpg

#3 Crispus AE3 Rome mint Roma reverse Eros mintmark
    I have a specialty collection of these strange mintmarks from Rome. The central part of the mintmark is a script ligature of EPWC Greek for love. Latin for love is AMOR and spell that backwards you get ROMA the name of the city where the coin was made. This is the best grade of my Eros coins and was purchased for way too much from a good friend doing his very last Baltimore coin show before retiring from the business. Coin shows are a lot of work when you get to a certain age so I understand why he decided to retire.
    rx5693bb3028.jpg

#2 Augustus and Agrippa AE dupondius, Nemausus, crocodile
    About this time last year I went on a spree of buying variations of this popular (but hard to find in good condition) type. This is my best or at least most interesting example. Those who have not seen the group are invited to my page discussing the fact that these things are impossible to grade:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/impossible.html
    gi0042bb3019.jpg

#1 Sikyon, AR stater Chimera/dove c.400BC
    I feel so shallow picking a large Greek silver as my #1 but, despite its faults, I like this coin. I particularly liked the depiction of the snake head on the Chimera's tail. I even like the Phi graffiti on both sides which probably made the coin cheap enough I could afford it. Still it was the most expensive coin I bought this year. I already had several smaller coins from this series and I would not mind having a later example of the stater showing how the type developed over time. Considering the prices, this may not happen. I might not have bought this one but felt peer pressure when Steve got his.
    g01395bb3105.jpg

Some will say I posted this too soon and some will say they planned to do something of the sort in a couple days. All are now invited to jump in and show your favorites of 2013 but you must promise to give at least a hint of why each posted coin is a favorite. You don't have to show 5; some of you probably have 50 favorites. I hope all of you had a good year and got at least one coin that means enough to you that you don't plan on selling it before 2014 ends.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I was gonna do a thread like this but I didnt bother since last year I only got a few replies and that was in the coin chat forum cause I wanted all to post, not ancient only.

This year has been pretty good to me for ancients. I dont think I have bought as many this year as I did in 2012 and I have no idea what 2014 will bring.

My goal for 2014 is to finish my 12 caesars, buy a Mariniana & Eudoxia coin. Add more greek and republlics as a whole and possibly more provincials.

Now for favorites buys of 2013, I only have a few & in no order.

A highlight was this Faustina Jr. It was an ebay purchase that was largely ignored by the buyers. I was attracted to its cheap price and after some research, very rare reverse. I knew it was something I had to have and I had to part with another faustina jr. I liked alot to get this. But I have no regrets.

[​IMG]

Next up is one that should be obvious if you read my new threads. This is a favorite due to being one of my first major error coins, this being an engravers error on the reverse legend. The coin may not be pretty but its still pretty special, so much so Curtis Clay mentioned of wanting it.

[​IMG]

Although another one that may be rough to some eyes. I fell in love with this coin when it was listed on a dealers site I buy from alot. I couldnt resist adding this Tiberius for my 12 caesars. I especially like that I didnt get bit by the "tribute penny bug" like so many have to have for a 12 caesars.

[​IMG]

The big accomplishment for 2013 was completing my AR set of Crispina Denarii. She, along with Lucilla were a side set I wanted to do. Surprisenly, Crispina was easier to complete then Lucilla, little did I know.

Eitherway 2013 added a few to complete this set, the finisher was the Clasped Hands reverse.

[​IMG]

Thats about it.

Curtisimo, Gil-galad, zumbly and 8 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Well, 2013 will go down as the year I went overboard on coin purchases. I have not made any purchases since Sep 24th, but prior to that I bought 87 coins. This year will also mark a significant departure from Imperial Roman to Republican coinage. However, this is not to say I haven't also purchased some nice Imperials as well. Speaking of which, here is a nice Macrinus Denarius:
    Macrinus3.jpg

And here are a few of my favorite Roman Republicans in no particular order:
    L. THORIUS BALBUS.jpg
    Ti Veturius.jpg

SEXTUS POMPEIUS FOSTLUS.jpg

Curtisimo, Gil-galad, zumbly and 6 others like this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yah, considering I bought over 100 coins during the past year, I was only able to wittle-it-down to my Top-10

#10 - Diva Julia Titi => this one made my top ten for two reasons: a) it is a wonderful big Sestertius with a gorgeous horse-n-buggy scene, b) because Mat chucked crap at it!!

Diva Julia Titit.jpg

#9 - M.Plaetorius M.F. Cestianus => I love the detail on this fine RR denarius ... plus, it is the only coin I've ever seen with "Vacuna" on the obverse (plus, that's an absolutely awesome hat the dude is wearing!!)

M Plaetorius Mf Cestianus.jpg

#8 - Allectus => I think that it has a great portrait for this type ... plus, what an outstanding 3-D lookin' galley (with super eye-appealing toning, making it "yummy")

Allectus.jpg

#7 - Indo-Skythian Kings (Azes) => I absolutely love the sweet-gray toning ... plus man, you've gotta admit that this coin has very simple, yet very cool style (it was love at first sight!!)

Indo-Skythians Azes AR Tet.jpg

#6 - Anonymous Folles (Basil II & Constantine VIII) => I first noticed a similar coin in "100 Greatest Ancient Coins" and then I knew that I needed to have one of these beauties ... this coin has great eye-appeal and seems to possess better than average details, "plus" it really is a cool thing having a coin with "Krist" written on the reverse!! (very cool coin)

Anonymous Folles basil II & Constantine VIII Krist.jpg

#5 - Saloninus => I admit that I am attracted to shiny eye-candy, so it was zero-surprise when I fell for this pretty baby => I think the coin has great toning, a fantastic eagle reverse, plus an amazing obverse showing a wee lil' guy in the very bottom of a big, big TET!! (super coin!!)

saloninus.jpg

#4 - Carolingians => Once again, something pretty caught my eye, so I got sucked-in and chomped-on the bait!! However, this coin has a super simple (almost primitive) look to it, but the simplicity seems to add quite a bit to this viewer => I love the simple and tasteful design ... oh plus, it is from 840-877 AD (I didn't have any coins from this slightly rare century)

Carolingians.jpg

#3 - Calabria Tarentum => this is by far my most expensive coin, yet it has only placed third on this year's list => hey, don't get me wrong, I love this coin ... but man, for the price it really should do more than look pretty!! Anyway, this is a fantastic coin with great detail and super animals!! (top-notch coin)

Calabria Tarentum.jpg

#2 - Antoninus Pius Alexandria AE Drachm => winning the 4-coin lot was awesome!! I loved all four coins, but this Zodiac coin depicting Venus & Taurus was really the top-dog!! ... yah, this coin is big and pretty and has such a cool feelin' about it (again, I admit that I am driven by coin "eye-appeal") ... mmm, mmm, mmm, this coin definitely does it for me!! ... I got nuthin' else to add!!

Antoninus Pius Group 1b.jpg

#1 - Kings of Macedon, Antigonos II => yup, PAN and I must have some sort of thingy, for I absolutely love all coins with his sneaky/partying face on 'em?!! This coin feels awesome "in-hand" and I think the reverse and the obverse are both very cool (its minting-style creates a very symeteric outcome, which makes me smile!!)
    ... plus, Athena looks very "hot" in her lil' outfit (full points!!)

Kings of Macedon PAN TET.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Curtisimo, Gil-galad, zumbly and 5 others like this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I probably acquired about 150 coins this year, and I'll probably post a "top ten" list, but I measure my success in the hobby by the friendships I've formed. The most significant ones are as follows, in no particular order...

1. My introduction to ancients came largely from Doug Smith's excellent pages at FORVM, which I still refer to on a regular basis. The work he's done compiling those pages are a testament to his generosity as a teacher.

2. Mat has a keen eye for acquiring the best pieces he can of any type, and he's inspired me to hunt pieces with more patience and discrimination.

3. Medorman (Chris) has always been a valuable source of information and advice, and gifted me with a beautiful copy of Overstruck Greek Coinage.

4. Ardatirion (Bill D.) was kind enough to take me to my first coin show. His rigorous and thorough approach to numismatics has inspired much of my work in Nabataean coinage, which can be found at FORVM.

5. Valiant Knight's persistent interest in very late Roman and Gothic coinage has also been an inspiration - I always learn something from his posts.

6. Bing has inspired me to become a bargain hunter, and I've managed to find some incredibly nice coins at ridiculously low prices.

7. Mark Fox is a member of CT, but rarely posts here. I met him at FORVM because of our mutual interest in Arabian coinage, and my best Christmas present was an autographed copy of the last issue of the Numismatist, in which he presented an article on Qatabanian coinage.

8. I'm thrilled to see some of the fabulous coins that people post on this forum, and the list is long: TIF, AJ, Collect89, Martin, Zumbly, IOM, chrismat, etc. Keep it coming friends!

9. Last but not least, this forum would not be anywhere as exciting as it is without Steve's joie de vivre. Steve's approach to collecting is 99% emotional and 1% intellectual, but I'd rather talk to him than a thousand pedants.

I'm sure I've forgotten somebody, so I apologize in advance.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Bing, zumbly, ValiantKnight and 4 others like this.
  7. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

This year has been very busy for me on the buying side, adding 22 coins. I was even busier on the selling side, albeit primarily my US coins, for which my interest now pales in comparison to my ancients. As for my favorites:

#5: Octavian aureus. I acquired this coin at the start of the year and have since found it published in numerous books, which adds to the appeal to me. I love the anepigraphic obverse and simple reverse, and it is a historic type in its relation to the Battle of Actium.

[​IMG]

#4: Akragas obol. I absolutely love this coin and how small it is:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3: Euainetos dekadrachm. I'm very fortunate to have acquired this when I did, as the next few examples which have come to market have been dramatically more expensive.
    [​IMG]

#2: Agathokles tetradrachm. I love the style, condition, and pedigree and got it for a song compared to what I was willing to spend.
    [​IMG]

#1: Colosseum sestertius. I expect this to hold its spot as my favorite coin for quite some time and I'm very glad that the cards fell in such a way that I was able to acquire it.

[​IMG]

Here's to a great 2014 for everyone on the forum!

Curtisimo, Gil-galad, Bing and 7 others like this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Too soon Doug, too soon.

;)

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

486191_466763656693884_516523879_n.jpg
    Silver denarius, SRCV 95/1, Sydenham 411, Crawford 219/1e, RSC I Antestia 1, VF, Rome mint, weight 3.971g, maximum diameter 17.3mm, die axis 90o, 146 B.C.; obverse head of Roma right in winged helmet, C ANTESTI behind, X below chin; reverse Dioscuri riding right, puppy with both fore feet raised below, ROMA in a linear frame in ex, linear border
    1010018.JPG
    Otacilia Severa, Augusta February or March 244 - September or October 249 A.D.
    Silver antoninianus, SRCV III 9158, RIC IV 130, RSC IV 43, Choice gVF, 4.523g, 23.0mm, 180o, Rome mint, 247 A.D.; obverse OTACIL SEVERA AVG, draped bust right set on crescent; reverse PIETAS AVGVSTAE, Pietas, veiled, standing left, extending right, box of incense in left; full circles strike, bold portrait.

562216_499084520128464_1946448363_n.jpg
    Syracuse, Sicily, Hiketas, 288 - 279 BC Bronze AE 23, Calciati II p. 312 ff., 168 (various obv symbols), EF, partial flat strike, 7.564g, 22.8mm, 180o, Syracuse mint, obverse DIOS ELLANIOU, laureate head of young Zeus Hellanios right, uncertain symbol behind head; reverse SURAKOSIWN, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, wings open, star left
    321356_513921868644729_989151575_n.jpg
    Agrippa, Æ As. Agrippa. Struck under Caligula, 37-41 AD. M AGRIPPA L F COS III, head left wearing rostral crown / S-C, Neptune standing facing, head left, naked except for cloak draped behind him & over both arms, holding small dolphin in right hand & vertical trident in left. RIC 58 [Caligula], Cohen 3, BMC 161 [Tiberius]

935229_522469501123299_725249295_n.jpg
    Rhodos, Carian Islands, c. 188 - 84 B.C.52 viewsSilver hemidrachm, cf. SNG Keckman 642 ff. (various magistrates and control symbols)Dexikrates, Fine/Fair, scratches, underweight (perhaps imitative), 0.905g, 13.0mm, 135o, Rhodos (Rhodes) mint, c. 188 - 84 B.C.; obverse radiate head of Helios facing slightly right; reverse rose with bud to right, P-O in fields, magistrates name above,ΔΕΞΙΚΡΑΤΗΣ, control symbol lower left, all within a shallow square incuse;

Curtisimo, Gil-galad, Bing and 5 others like this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

runners up

Attached Files:

Gil-galad, Bing and chrsmat71 like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow => thanks for the coin kudos, JA!!

Oh, and absolutely fantastic coins, gang!!

... I hope that 2014 brings a whole lotta great new coins to all of us!!

Cheers, fellas!!

12. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

My post is a combination of Doug's and JA's, my favorite coins and most important numismatic events.

3. Acquiring this amazing example is what really solidified my path with ancient coins, hearing others reactions was gratifying.

Diocletian Potin Tetadrachm of Alexandria. Year 7 = 291-292 AD.
    DIOKLETIANOC CEB, laureate & cuirassed bust right
    ENATOV, L to right, Elpis standing left, holding flower and raising hem of robe, A in ex
    Milne 5063

Carus look a like.jpg Carus look a like rev.jpg

2. Rediscovering Cointalk has been instrumental in bringing me to the dark side, and I'd like all of you for your passion and dedication to the hobby. Some examples of this have been Doug's informative posts and instruction, JA generally being there, and Steve's excitement with every new coin and fact. There are others, but to list them all
    would be to count nearly everyone.

1. Going to the Summer Seminar is definitely the most important event so far in my collecting journey. Although the class I took was colonial coins not ancients, it prepared me for several aspects of the great field I find myself in. Another important part was meeting two other amazing ancient collecting YNs there, Windchild was one of them.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all! It's been an amazing year!

God bless!

Curtisimo, Gil-galad, Bing and 5 others like this.
  13. John Anthony

It's great to have you around, vlaha. Whatever happened to Windchild? Did he just lose interest?

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Please check your sources and see if you do not agree that L ENATOV is Ninth year rather than year 7. Nine was the only one they wrote out with the ordinal word to avoid using the unlucky theta. Year 7 would have been L Z.
    http://wordinfo.info/unit/2355/ip:5/il:G

15. John Anthony

Here are ten of the most interesting coins I’ve collected this year, in no particular order...

1. Denarius of S. Severus, Fortuna, Emesa mint.
    2. An exceedingly rare bronze of Malichus I.
    3. Tritatemorion of Kyzikos.
    4. Imperatorial denarius of Acilius Glabrio.
    5. Macedonian bronze of Phillip II with scarce left-facing Apollo.
    6. VRBS ROMA/She-wolf with nice eye-appeal.
    7. Constantine I AE3 VOTIS XX, ex Langtoft Hoard.
    8. The only known example of a proto-Nabataean overstruck on a Seleucid bronze.
    9. Anonymous RR semis, Saturn, prow.
    10. The finest forward-facing Honorius bronze I’ve come across.

[​IMG]

But we all know that my greatest acquisition, the pinnacle of numismatic haute couture, the veritable coup de grace of collecting acumen has to be my Vespasian/Domitian fouree mule, which AJ graciously photoshopped to present it with the full dignity and honor it so abundantly deserves...

[​IMG]

Curtisimo, Gil-galad, Bing and 6 others like this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a fun thread! I will try to compile my top 10 list before the year's end but may not have time... hanging out with my mom this week and we're hitting the road tomorrow in preparation for a big NYE.

Doug-- that Sikyon is wonderful. Finding one with all three components of the chimera clearly depicted is tough! I hope to find one someday. Thanks for taking such time and care in composing your posts. We could extract your posts and compile a very helpful book!

Mat-- congratulations on completing your Crispina denarius set! The second row left coin has a particularly nice portrait.

Bing-- thanks for sparking my interest in Roman Republicans! Looking forward to seeing your future purchases.

Steve-- coinbro, you know I love all of your coins :) Most of all though I like your enthusiasm!

JA-- your posts are always educational and witty. Love your sense of humor and your excellent vocabulary.

Joe-- probably responsible for shorting out dozens of CTer keyboards (all that drooling...)

Randy-- a wonderfully diverse collection and excellent photos!

Vlaha-- I hope the new year brings you dozens of Alexandrian tets! Your avatar is a doozie :)

Bing, zumbly, stevex6 and 1 other person like this.
  17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

A really great thread, and so many beautiful coins! I hope one day to own a piece as incredible as John's zombie fouree mule.

I haven't given this any thought yet, but will try to contribute when I have.

Z.

p/s Doug, has anyone ever told you that you look a little like Mithradates II?

18. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Sorry Doug, I was copying and pasting from the thread from which it was identified (and I did check the I.D., other than the date it's correct).

In that thread I remember you saying that L ENATOV is year nine, and SEAR confirms that.

19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

ok, here are 5 i really like from this year in no particular order...

GIGANTO ptolemy...thanks for TIF for encouraging me to get this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

unknown elagablus provinical.....thanks to JA for assistance in trying to ID it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks to ENG for this sweet parthian....that is actually my youngest daughters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my first repubican denarius...thanks to bing for assistance republican shopping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this sep serv coin...thanks me for going back to get it. i actually left dealer at the coin show without it, thought it was a bit to much. was getting read to leave and i u turned, went back and picked it up...thank goodness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

several other honorable mentions...that i wont mention.

looks like everyone had a good 2013, here's to a great 2014!

cheers!

[​IMG]

20. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

This only reminds me that I should start keeping purchases statistics like those. That being said here are some of my favorites from this year (not in any particular order). This year I mostly shifted away from most Roman Imperial, focusing more on later Roman coinage, and significantly expanded my post-Roman Germanic and my early Byzanine:

Libius Severus
    , Western Roman Emperor (461-465 AD)
    AE4
    Rev: Monogram of Ricimer
    Extremely rare emperor
    [​IMG]

Anonymous/Unknown, Visigothic Kingdom
    AE Nummus
    Spali (Hispalis) mint, mid 7th century AD
    [​IMG]

Theodahad
    , Ostrogothic King (534-536 AD)
    AE Decanummium
    Rome mint
    [​IMG]

Anastasius, Byzantine (Eastern Roman) emperor
    AV Tremissis (my first gold coin!)
    Constantinople mint
    [​IMG]

City of Ravenna
    , Ostrogothic Kingdom
    AE Decanummium
    Rome mint
    [​IMG]

Justinian I
    , Byzantine (Eastern Roman) emperor
    AE Decanummium
    Ravenna mint
    [​IMG]

Justinian I
    AE Follis (my widest coin at 41 mm)
    Constantinople mint
    [​IMG]

City of Rome, Ostrogothic Kingdom
    AE Half-Follis
    Rome mint
    [​IMG]

Curtisimo, vlaha, Gil-galad and 5 others like this.
  21. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Well I guess in ~20 days or so it will be the one year anniversary of me starting to collect coins. Time sure flies when you are having fun. It has been a wonderful year and I look forward to learning more from everyone as time goes on.

Here are my top 5 coins in no particular order!

Coin #1
    I think this Caracalla for many reasons. First and foremost because he looks a bit like a zombie.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Coin #2
    My most expensive purchase thus far. It isn't quite the winner that other Hadrian galley's are but it does have an awesome boat.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Coin #3
    While I may never be able to prove that this coin was a damnatio on Nero the eyes were deliberately punched out. It adds something incredibly unique to the coin.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Coin #4
    I am so happy to have added this Postumus to my collection. I have spent an embarrassing amount of time holding this coin in my hands under the light to look at the toning. I must admit even as I uploaded the picture I pulled out the coin to admire it some more. I believe this will be one of my favourites for a long time.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Coin #5
    Finally a type of coin I had admired from everyone else and had to track one down for myself. Luckily the gentleman at the monthly coin show in Winnipeg happened to have a couple. I was more than happy to give it a new home and it will hopefully have a brother in the new year!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I look forward to the year ahead with all of you and learning as much as possible!

As for all of your coins I think Jackie Chan says it best.
    [​IMG]

Curtisimo, vlaha, Gil-galad and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted