Ancients- Do you digitally catalog your collection?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by CoinBlazer, Nov 18, 2019.

1. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Some years ago i started a simple Word file with some remarks about the entries in an existing catalog based on the specimen in my largest subcollection. I gradually added pictures of my own specimen and information for most catalog types. For more common types i display two representative specimen. Slowly, my personal catalog now outgrows the standard catalog in types and information.
    JitalsScr.jpg
    Next step will be to revise the standard catalog numbering system to accomodate newly found associations and types. I have a strictly ordered computer folder system for coin pictures, background information and literature references. I have found no need for spreadsheets or database programs yet.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great topic for an Ancients Forum discussion, @CoinBlazer ! I’m finding it fascinating to read about the different computer programs all of my favorite ancient coin collectors use! I mean that sincerely because I have a lot to learn about cataloging and spreadsheets. The only way that I’m currently keeping track of my coins is visually through my poster designs. I do all of those on a Macintosh computer using Adobe InDesign.

TOOLS.jpg

Sulla80, frankjg, Justin Lee and 2 others like this.
  4. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I keep mine on Tantaluscoins in case they get stolen along with my laptop. At least there is a digital version out there. I am quite a bit behind with updating it though.

5. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

I use an Access database that I have built. Have a table for each of the types of coin (US, World, Ancient) so that I have all my info in one place. The nice part is that even when I am a little short on cash I can make modifications to the database and still feel like I am playing with my coins without spending a buck. :)

If anyone has access and would like a copy to check out let me know, I'd be happy to put a blank copy of it on here.

Broucheion likes this.
  6. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Since I restarted collecting, about 2014, I used a simple system in Word - it replicates the old paper index cards I used long ago (just like my father-in-law whose collection I inherited). I often thought about making a better one that incorporates pictures, but never decided to do this or that.

It consists of: Number. Metal, denomination. Empire - Head of state, date. Obverse description followed by text, reverse description followed by text. Diameter, weight. Any known catalogs. Bought from whom, when and for how much. Sometimes: comments as to why I wanted it.

In 2014, I devised a four-digit numbering system along the lines of my interests, starting at 1001 for my oldest coin, a 1/24th Phokaia stater, and the end was always the low 7000s for the latest coins of the 14th, later 16th, now 17th century. A month ago I started collecting Chinese coins, and now the highest number is 8008. By the way, I have about 950 coins (Less is more).

So there's a lot of room, but in 2014 I hadn't expected my Roman provincials and my medieval islamic dynasties to expand so much, so occasionally I have to do some intricate resizing and refitting.
    I'm always recording diameter and weight to .00 - the first to do to every new coin is putting it on my scale. Because, as an experienced old collector friend told me, if your collection of (almost identical coins) falls on the floor and you have to reconstruct which coin was which catalog number, the exact weight will help you immediately.

And I make pictures of my coins that I give the same number as my catalog, sometimes with some extra information. This is a good example:

3283 A Gord caes e ct.jpg

Not the best pic possible, but I made it myself in a minute. The name of this photo is 3283 A Gordian caes e ct, meaning a Roman Provincial [3100-3400] coin starting with A = Alexandria, of Gordian III as caesar (he was caesar for a short time only, under the ill-fated and ill-named emperors Balbinus and Pupienus) e = I made the picture myself [s = seller's pic], ct = I used it on CoinTalk.

7. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

24BA5E58-BA1C-4A91-8D1C-E155704EC64A.png 560B3CC1-7D80-4A24-85A5-46DB1F87D880.png 82CD6930-0E45-4905-93AA-FAF248F53A97.png A7E6B2F9-2618-4E68-9C45-70F9F315EBC9.png A0DC9C6C-3BEA-4265-B84A-4FF469F3D679.png D0AE2B59-06C5-421F-A5C7-962BFA9FA515.png 6AB1C7E1-2F70-46FF-9E19-EC98879004C4.png 724B409C-D4E9-4572-8B69-76ECCD00E7F5.png 016C41C9-B5F0-4D39-9583-56CB5FB94EC2.png I use a Google Form my wife put together which has fields in a form like setting. I find it faster to type in the fields than I ever could in Excel. The way it is set up though is that the form auto populates a Google Sheet which is an Excel spreadsheet. If I need to change info on a coin already entered I can go straight to the Sheet and edit just like Excel. The form is also editable in my Google Forms. If I need a new field for a new branch of my collection, it’s as simple as adding a field and typing the label.

All of it is stored in the cloud so I can access it anywhere even if my computer is gone. You upload photos which also get linked to the entry on the sheet.

Draft saved Draft deleted