[ancients] Did my Caracalla denarius go on a crystallization diet??

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Nov 10, 2013.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I had to re-weigh this one several times just to be sure. It's a Caracalla denarius that comes in at just 1.7g.... more than 40% less than my other Caracalla denarius from the same period (196 - 197 AD) of the same size (18mm).

caracalla imperat.jpg

Poor little 'calla looks so sad! Can crystallization really result in that much weight loss? Does anyone have denarii that weight as little as this?

Z.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, it can. Burial in soil can leech away metal and reduce weight. I also believe that some of the Caracalla Caesar coins were light to start with since weight standards seemed inconsistent at best. I always wondered if someone at the mint figured that kid coins were a good place to skim silver.
    rs6560bb0552.jpg
    My lightest Caracalla is 2.1g but I prefer to avoid porous coins so something the weight of your coin is not shocking.

4. zumbly

Many thanks for the reply, Doug. I have a few other denarii around 2.5g, but this one is by far the lightest and made me wonder about the effects of crystallization. I'm also not fond of how it makes the coin feel - kind of like it was made out of tin. Other than that, this coin didn't cost much for a denarius and I do like the portrait. Also intriguing is that the reverse features a bucranium (skull of a sacrificial bull)... pretty rare in the imperial 'priestly implements' series of coins.

Z.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Interesting. My new child caracalla makes a "thud" sound when dropped. The thud like my fake crispina I got last year made. The coin weighs 2.9g so it seems OK. Also the reverse has what looks like cleaning scratches. Plus I found no fakes of the type anywhere.

zumbly likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It would also be good to handle this coin carefully and not drop it on a hard surface. Such things have been known to break in half. I agree that it is a special type with the bucranium and this one is pretty clear in terms of strike. We hear coins of graded as to surface but this problem is deeper than that. The bucranium type is harder to find in great condition that the one with jug in the middle. Mine is not great but the matching Geta is pretty nice.
    rs6510bb0493.jpg rs7020bb0827.jpg

vlaha, Collect89, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow zumbly => another great new pick-up!! (I really love the bucranium on the reverse!!)

I only have this one example of a bucranium on any of my ancient coins:

ancients666e.jpg ancients666h.jpg

=> man, you are really posting some great ancient coins (it is wonderful having you aboard!!)

vlaha, Collect89, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

a buwhatium? had to look that one up...:oops:

nice caracallas...caralli..caracallae?

stevex6 likes this.
  9. zumbly

Yes, I've read that about very crystallized coins. Am being extra careful with it, even though a part of me *is* curiously eager to see what would happen if I were to accidentally drop it.

That Geta looks great! I notice that it has the scarcer L SEPTIMIVS obverse legend too. Very very nice coin.

Z.

10. zumbly

Thanks, Steve! Greek coins are unexplored territory for me, but that's a really fantastic looking one you have there. What is it anyway? Mind posting the other side as well?

Z.

11. zumbly

Since mine would appear to be very crystallized, I won't be dropping it anytime soon (on purpose anyway). Though I'm definitely curious about this "thud" sound you're describing. Might try dropping a fourree I have and compare it with a safer-to-use denarius.

Z.

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sure zumbly, here is the reverse-side of my Akarnania Stater (kinda cool that Pegasus earned the obverse, while Athena was given the ol' reverse honours, eh?)

NOTE => I also tossed-in a bad photo of my David Sear Authentication Certificate for this coin (I occasionally get some of my coins checked-out => in this case, it was merely a "weak obverse strike" that had me concerned)

ancients666f.jpg ancients666e.jpg Pegasus Authentication.JPG

vlaha, chrsmat71 and zumbly like this.
  13. zumbly

Nice coin and nice cert, Steve... first time I'm seeing one of those too. Just checked out some other Akarnania staters and the ones with the bucranium control mark are just that much niftier, eh. And hey, not any old bucranium... a filleted bucranium to boot!

stevex6 likes this.
  14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here is my bucranium on a silver unit from Saba Arabia. It is ca 50 BC - AD 50. Himyarite Unit Rev.jpg

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted